After cold cap

Hi everyone, I’m nearing the end of treatment and have used the cold cap! I have kept may be 40%-50% of my hair.

Any suggestions for help with thickening it up after as its very thin and see through? Also when you did you dye it? Use straightners etc…

Any advice welcome.
Thank you

Aimee xx

Hello Aimee84,

Congrats on coming to near the end of Chemo. Glad the cold cap had beneficial effect for you.

Even though I had head shave/lost most hair, I continued with cold cap and used it for 5 out of 6 treatments. Glad I did as I think this was one of the reasons my hair grew back relatively quickly.

You may find Nioxin and other similar hair products helpful. However they can be quite expensive so make sure you get the right ones for your hair type. The Nioxin site has helpful info on which to use. I found the products cheaper online than purchasing through a salon. I used them at the beginning to help thicken my hair up.

However, they also seem to make it more fuzzy and I really did not need any encouragement of the post chemo fuzz! Texture before chemo was thick and wavy. It took a while for the texture to feel and look more normal for me.

Sone salons, like Toni and Guy have stylists trained in post chemo hair care so you may like to book a consultation with them or similar.

I finished chemo March 17 and had sufficient hair by May 17 to say goodbye to the cold, hats and headbands. I had my first Fuzz trim at the end of May 17. I had my first hair colour and second fuzz trim during June 17. I usually colour it myself but on this occasion I went to a salon.

I did not use straighteners for some months (OMG how I wanted to straighten the fuzz!) until it had grown longer and seemed more able to take it. I had some mini straighteners so found these very useful at the time.

Wishing you and your crowning glory well X ?

Thank you for your reply and so glad to hear your hair is growing back well, and thank you so much for all the tips i appriciate it!

Wishing you all the best

Aimee xxx

Hi Aimed take a look at the cancer haircare.com website for loads of information. I was lucky that their salon is only 20 mins away but the website gives great advice x