Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone had a tatoo

6 REPLIES 6
Michelle78

Re: Anyone had a tatoo

Thank you !

My tattoo doesn't really go onto "my dodgy" arm - however I have had shoulder surgery this year, due to it freezing & having lack of movement - they think due to the delayed effects of the radio 

It was keyhole, so had small incisions on the effected arm & again, I had no trouble from the the arm.

If you are unsure, then the other side for tattoo sounds amazing! 

I've joined "Team Phoenix" for a tri next year... not sure what I've let myself into 🤦‍♀️😆 

Good luck with your tattoo & if you can post a photo, please do.

A real celebratory/meaningful story, showing pure strength ! Xx 

kazza5yrs

Morning, wow what an amazing tattoo you have. It’s so beautiful. I can imagine it was very emotional when you saw it for the first time. I’ve chickened out on my right side. I’ve stayed flat and can just hear the doctors saying after my op not to have blood taken from that arm or even blood pressure as I’d had nodes out. I’m so confused. But I’m still getting a tattoo but on my left lower arm. I’m going for a small phoenix with the new beginnings symbol underneath. I am gutted I’ve opted out of my original site to have it but made up I’m celebrating getting to five years this way. Thank you for sharing your amazing tattoo, I hope you don’t get into trouble as I think we need more stories like this. Take care xx

Michelle78

https://www.instagram.com/p/CE4UDhMpJzg/?utm_medium=copy_link

I hope the link above works & I don't get into trouble  

My tattoo friend, wrote some beautiful words 💕 

Michelle78

Hi Ladies, 

I've just seen your posts ref tattoos 

I was treated for BC in 2019 mastectomy, recon, then Node removal chemo & rads  (aged 40)

I went into deep thought about getting a celebratory tattoo on my recon area, so after lots of chats with my surgeon, I finally did it a year after finishing my treatment 

Last year after Lockdown (Sept)

I finally had my session - with a very professional tattoo artist, also an old friend - she reassured me about infection problems.

The design I have covers my recon site & up onto my shoulder

I designed my tattoo (more like advised her what I wanted - I'm not an artist!) And it is stunning! 

My advise is find a very reputable tattoo artist, someone who has had experience in these tattoos before, It was very emotional for me, My friend practises hypno tattoos too, so was speaking to me throughout, celebrating my treatment, celebrating everything I had been through... & Wow the tears flowed ! 

The end result is stunning & I've not had a single infection or trouble from it

Just to add, I'm also a T1 diabetic, so another add on to the infection risk - but it didn't cause me any worry. 

I underestimated the tattoo pain (!) I thought as I am numb in my recon area, the tattoo would be a piece of cake  - it was painful! But I breathed through it & I listened to my friend with her healing/celebratory words. 

Not sure if I'm able to post a photo 

I'll see if I can add a link from my friends instagram page  

Celebrate Ladies - have some beautiful art to celebrate our tough treatment routes 💕 

kazza5yrs

Hi Pips88, I’m doing ok thanks. I hope you are too. I just threw getting a tattoo in at the end of the conversation with my nurse so I didn’t get to ask the question I’ve asked here. You see so many people with them now. I’ve been recommended an artist from a fellow cancer sufferer but she’s had hers on her lower arm. Anyway I’m in the process of picking my design, I’m stuck between 3. I’ll keep you posted, you never know if it hurts too much I might just end up with a single petal! 😬

pips88

@kazza5yrs hi, just jumping in to follow along as you’ve asked a great question and I’m really interested in knowing others experiences! Hope your well x

kazza5yrs

Anyone had a tatoo

Hi everyone,

Thanks for reading my post. I’m new here so I hope I’ve found the right place to ask this. I wondered if anyone on here has had a tatoo on their affected side. I had chemo, radiotherapy and then a right side mastectomy with no reconstruction. I’m coming up to 5 years clear this year and I would love to mark this with a symbol of everything I’ve been through.I love the Macmillan advert on tv with the lady who looks so happy with a tatoo on her chest. I had my yearly chat with Oncologists nurse the other day and mentioned to her I was thinking of getting one. She didn’t say not to as she has seen many. My worry is that if you’re told not to give blood or have blood pressure taken from your affected side (I have had some lymph nodes out but not all) how come I can have a tatoo. Is it because the tattooists needle doesn’t go through all the layers of your skin? If anyone is on here and has had one I’d love to know how it went. 
Thanks x