342525posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breast pain 18 months after lumpectomy

Highlighted

Re: Breast pain 18 months after lumpectomy

I had my lumpectomy July 17 and finished radiotherapy in September. Back to work and feeling ok apart from stabbing pain occasionally and tenderness that side. I even thought they may have left the metal marker inside. Reading the blog I see it's quite common - I was concerned as it's my left side. Have outpatients appointment on Friday so will mention it
Highlighted

Hi Ladies, so reassuring to find this thread. 

BC diagnoses March 2017, lymph gland removal (3 / all clear), lumpectomy, breast reconstruction using flap/own fat from under arm/back and 18 sessions of radiotherapy + 3 boosters, Tamoxifen for 10 years!  Also due to family history I qualified for genetic testing, clear on both BRAC1 and BRAC2 genes.  I'm now getting to the 1 year mark from diagnosis.  Thought, probably as many of you did, I would start to feel 'normal' with the body again.  However I still have pain from my lymph node scar, tightness in my breast.  I still sleep with my soft sports bra on as this makes me more comfortable.  I followed the exercise plan and still cream the area of the operation scars.  Plus, having for a long period had problems with my lower back (had MRI scan, physio, meds for this), since being on Tamoxifen that has become a great deal worse. I’m only in my 40s but when I get out of bed, until I start moving, I move like someone a great deal older. 

Sometimes it does get me down, but then I tell myself I’m still here with my husband and children - I just plod on. Reading that others are experiencing similar problems, the replies to questions raised,  gives some comfort knowing we are not alone even when sometimes we think we are. 

All my thoughts and best wishes go out to you all - take care.

Highlighted

Hi ladies. Just joined and already finding out stuff which is reassuring for me. I feel incredibly lucky as everything has gone to plan. Lump found sept 17. Op September 17. Radiotherapy  finished Dec 17 and now restarting my life. However,  Just recently I have had pains just under my arm (where 2 non cancerous lymph nodes were removed).  My BC NURSE assures me all is well, but I feel more assured reading "real stories". My other "worry", is the fatigue. When does this stop? Mostly I feel good,  and have even started a gentle spin class and body balance class. But there are times I just suddenly, have to stop everything. I can easily sleep for 10 hours a night, as well as the occasional nap during the day. Is this normal? Also Bravissimo is excellent for bra fitting and choice. Just bought 2 new bras yesterday, and feel much better and more comfortable  already. 

Highlighted

Hi Memphis, I have just read your post. So glad you are all clear!!! I have a question, is there a tyo about the 'pull on the breath'? I was just wondering. My breathing has been a little odd since my 2nd surgery (Sept 7, 2017) where the 2 nodes lymphectomy (they were negative for cancer) and the original area where the HER- 6mm, Estrogen and Progesterone+, Stage IA, was found. I have an incision that is not healing up (Dr says that it can take a lot longer than normal due to having had the radiation, but I am on antibiotics for the 3rd time since Thanksgiving). Anyway....just wondered what you meant by that pull on the breath phrase. I can't seem to explain to anyone what I am experiencing. Thanks! PSB

Highlighted

hi my mother is due this operation in feb this yr she is 71 also had a heart valve replacing some ten yr back so is on warfrin my mother belives she  will die im so worried and just seeking some advice if u can help me

Highlighted

Hi welshlady 66.

i have looked for the bras from George on line and can not find them, I got one the other day from a different site which was ok front fastening but had no padding what so ever, after wearing it my boob hurt more as I had   no support. Could you let me know please what site you ordered them off as at least they had the paddings thank you 

Highlighted

Hi Avyi,

Very late to this but just wanted to reassure you that I had exactly the same thing but two years before you and I'm big boobed too.  I didn't ask, but always wondered if the surgical team had taped over my nipple to keep the breast taut at the outside edge which is where they made the incision.  It felt like someone had put a big bit of tape over the nipple and front of my boob and then ripped it off afterwards.  Happy to say that the pain stopped eventually.

I found the best bras for me (30G) were Macom as you can order them by back size and the cups stretch to fit your cup size with no seams and not too much compression (the Royce bras felt like I was wearing an elastic band, ouch!)

Hope things ease for you soon

x

Sharon

Highlighted

Hi. I had a lumpectomy September 16. Followed by chemo and 20 rads. I still have a very lumpy boob from scaring and odds bit of shooting pain. All part if the healing process I'm am big boobed. Can't go out wearing a bra. Bravissimo have great non under wired and I have bought a bra on line called Anita. Pricey but amazing. Keep going ladies. You have all done the hard part. X
Highlighted

So relieved on reading these comments. Had my surgery in June 2017. Feels like I'm getting sore now I know I'm not on my own.
Highlighted

I had lumpectomy in June 2017 then 15 rads and 5 boosters, I have since found that first thing in morning when I get out of bed oh my days the pain in my right boob and under my arm where lymphnodes removed is painful. Once I move about it does ease off, I am finding as months gone on my breast is more tender and under arm not so flexible even tho I still do excersises. When I worry more than usual I look at this site and read comments and then I don’t feel so alone and scared, thank you everyone 

Highlighted

Hi Avyi I was the same as you had terrible problems wearing a bra post op and then after my radiation treatment could not tolerate anything near my skin, I had two bouts of cellulitis which took months to get rid of and now I have fibrosis of the breast tissue and lymphodema of the breast as well, the best bras I bought were the cheapest from george they are post op bras you have to order online, but they came very quickly and I think were around £15 they fasten at the front and you think they are going to be tight but once on they are so comfortable and they have pads for the inside which is good as my right breast is bigger than my left with the swelling, they are very strechy and soft I would recommend them to anyone 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Avyi

Perhaps give your bcn a call tomorrow and see if she can suggest something xx

Thanks but I did that. Waytoo uncomfortable to have any constriction at all against the boob.. 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Avyi

I took the wires out of one of my bras which I found comfortable xx

Highlighted

I'm almost 3 weeks post lumpectomy and 2 lymph nodes out. I got an infection in my breast wound that has delayed my return to work and am on antibiotics for that. The actual wound doesn't hurt, nor does the under arm wound, although I have the stiffness and pain there when stretching, but have bneen doing my exercises, so thats getting better. 

My problem is around the nipple and front of breast area - shooting, sharp pains, pin like pricks, sore, swollen and still bruised nipple area. I cant wear a bra - tried twice. However I'm very large boobed and I cant go to work without a bra on after chrismtas!   Are there any other big boobed women who have any ideas for me please?  Sports bras hold you in tightly so that you dont bounce when running so they are too uncomfortable as I cant have the pressure.

Many thanks ladies

x

Highlighted

I am also getting lower middle back pain.  4 weeks after lumpectomy.  I am going to look up effects of anesthesia.  Also, I am getting a slight blip in heart,that a feel like fainting, but it goes away very quickly.  Scary. That might be another anesthesia effect.

Highlighted

One Yr on, like so many of you I still have pain under my arm, around my breast and across the Lump removal scar. My shoulder is stiff and my inner arm number. This is obviosuly radiation and nerve damage. 

I still wear sports bras as they don't hurt me as much as pretty ones - my aim is to have a pretty one by Christmas 2018, even though continually taking  Heceptin my libido to zero! 

I'm 64 but look 50. However, I feel like an old lady when I wake up, after exercise I lose 10 yrs, and then I can eally get on with things.

I had to shut my business 4 months ago and now I'm trying to start a life. Its can't be the same but it will be good if I work at it.

Its a real shame that locally they offer no physio on exit from the Operations or Radiation. They know that cutting nerves causes the pain and the settling down takes a while  (I was told 3 months, then told 6 now being told 12)   Radiation has hidden side effects that don't go away quickly. However the main problem is post op  is that a physical physio session is no longer included - a sheet of paper doesn't work -  it has to be. My physio friend gave me exercises to do every morning - they help!

Like everything worth having you have to work at it - so go swimming (backstroke is essential), massage the solid and hard areas where the pain is, get fit and eventually - I sincerley hope it wiil all start to ease. 

Mine has marginally... so yours can to!

Highlighted

Hi
I was about to start a new post about the same thing until I came across this one.
I had my lumpectomy in April followed by 15 fractions of Rad therapy.
Just recently though I have been getting a lot of sharp pain along my scar and my ribs hurt, which often means me not wearing a bra.

Having read the comments I think my symptoms are normal xxx
Highlighted

Hello everyone, my name is Ana and I was diagnosed with Her2 breast cancer October 2017.

i had 4 chemo treatments of which I sailed by ! 18 radiation treatments of which I handled very well. I'm still having a targeted treatment, Herceptin, and I'll be done next month. I will on tomoxafin for a few years and so on. I've had my first mammogram after diagnoses last month and it's clear of any tumor's. Yehhhhhh

It's all good you may say, however the issue is that I have more discomfort and razor sharp pain and later like pull on my breath then ever before. My surgeon and oncologist advise me that it's all normal - but I can't shake the feeling of uneasiness.

Thank you everyone for sharing your stories, I feel connected to you through our mutual symptoms. 

The power of positive thinking will get us through our prognosis and beyond to wellness.

Merry CHristmas and a joyous 2018.🎆

Highlighted

Thank you so much, that is so reassuring to read, I have been getting stabbing achy pains and getting very anxious !!! I will sleep tonight now xx

Highlighted

I too have been having terrible burning pain and sometimes very sharp sudden pain, im 5 mnths post rads, I found a lump a couple of weeks back had a scan and had a letter back saying the lump is nothing to worry about but they will keep an eye on it, but now My skin has gone thick and raised and is sore cant wear a bra other than a post op one and thats only for a couple of hours at a time and im still so tired all the time I have kept doing the exercises although painful, I have had an appointment to see surgeon next week wasnt supposed to be seeing him till january so will see what he has to say about it all x

Highlighted

Thank you so much for sharing , I had a lumpectomy in Feb 2017. Followed by chemo, 16 rads and now Letrozole. Now I am having breast pain off and on. Also tenderness under the arm. There is hardness around the surgery site. So glad to hear other stories like mine!

Highlighted

Hi, I had a lumpectomy in November 2015 then radiotherapy which finished in March 2016.  I had the normal pains following treatment, but generally have not felt anything for months.  Until yesterday.  I had such a pain in my breast, in the same area as my lumpectomy.  It woke me in the night and was quite severe.  The pain carried on all day, and eventually I took paracetamol which eased it.  This morning it is back again, not very severe, but enough that I notice it.  Has anyone else felt this, after many months of no pain?

Highlighted

Sorry typed that wrong, what I meant was, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one to suffer like this, what a wonderful and so informative board, love to everyone 

Highlighted

Glad to hear this as I'm suffering the same symptoms, 8 months after Radiotherapy, it's really annoying and gets me down in the dumps
Highlighted

Hi all this is the first time I've posted on here but I have been reading all the threads & finding the information you post very reassuring.
I had lumpectomy & Radiotherapy Sept - Dec 2016.
All going well had mammogram in Aug 17 & results clear. Had a follow up appt in Breast Check in Dublin this week and Dr reassures me that this tingly/itchy pain and lumpy hard bits is scar tissue. I was very happy to hear this & researching now how to help get rid of this . Firstly swimming has really helped me as my arm where sentinel nodes removed can get a bit numb at times & the arm & shoulder stretching exercises really are a must, as this keeps the tissue moving. Massaging Coconut OIL into the affected areas and leave it on after shower. I asked Doctor will this Breast pain ever go away & she really couldn't answer me .. It varies !! Massaging the breast with lots of oil will eventually help the scar tissue soften. It's nice to hear how everyone is getting on. I'm on Tamoxifen too & the hot flushes & mood swings are really bad !! But Dr said to me a lot of People would be happy just to be ONLY taking a tablet every day so I decided I'd keep on taking it.. Hope you all well & getting through this journey..it's tough at times but every day is different some good some bad 💕💕
Highlighted

Now i know that the odd stabby/itchy/crawley/tenderness/pain is all part of the healing process. I also declined chemo as margins/lymph nodes clear but had the 15 radiotherapies. Thx.
Highlighted

Hello, I had lumpectomy and accelerated radiation back in May 2009. I declined chemo at the time as the lymph nodes removed were benign, and my surgeon said all margins from lumpectomy were clear.   I can tell you that I have had slight pains of all sorts at the lumpectomy site, over the past 8 years, but nothing really bad, nothing unbearable.  There is scar tissue at the surgi-site that is quite hardened.  In August, during my annual physical, my PCP thought it felt odd and sent me for a diagnostic mammogram and sonargram. Both came out normal - just scar tissue she was feeling.  It sure scared me, though, as it would anyone who has had one bout of breast cancer.  Pains are normal in the surgi-site because of scar tissue, sometimes I have a little mini stabbing pain, sometimes an itch, sometimes a sudden achey feeling for a bit, it always goes away.  Hope this is reassuring for anyone with pain in your original lumpectomy cancer location.

Highlighted
Dab

I completed my chemo in Jan 17 and rads concluded in march. I was 42 when diagnosed and periods stopped then made a dramatic return in July. (Third one is late and goodness know what's going on with my hormones!! Oncologist described it as a hormone disco!!)
Boobs have been really itchy and has a baked look about it! Even as I type this I experience a burning sensation around my scar and where they did sentinel node biopsy. Sometimes it feels like there is something crawling inside my boob. Sets your mind whirring and wondering if this is the norm. Feel quite abandoned after treatment and have been referred to a psychologist as breast nurse is worried I'm not dealing with life after BC. Just found this thread and it's reassuring to know that other ladies are experiencing the same feelings as me!!! Much love to u all ❤️
Highlighted
Community Champion

Re: Breast pain

Dorit

Hello and welcome to this lovely forum and the wonderful ladies on here who will be able to give you loads of help.

I know we can all very much relate to your feelings once treatment is finished, I know 99% of the time i am perfectly ok and am back to getting on with my life, but then there will be an ache or a pain and suddenly the thought is there has it come back.  Your rational mind tells you no, but sometimes the aniety monster takes over.  Have you thought about having some counselling, I notice that you are in Israel so I dont know if what the process is over there.  You might well find it will help you to rationalise your fears,  I had counselling earlier this year as I was scared that I was coping too well and that I would crash and burn, it was lovely to speak with someone not directly connected with me, who could look at things objectively and that I was ablet o be totally honest baout how I felt without upsetting anyone.

I had a review with my oncologist in August six months after finishing rads, I was a bit concerned as the scar areas felt "lumpy" , he examined me and was happy that it was quite normal.

I dont think you will be influencing himb y telling him, he is bound to ask if you have been having any problems/concerns and it would be prudent to mention that you have concerns about the pain/tenderness, obviously your fear is there, but there is nothing to say that it is bc again and it will give you peace of mind.

We have a pair of "virtual" tough pants on this forum for ladies when they need that bit extra support before appointments, so I am sending them to you to help you tomorrow, the pockets are big so that we can all be there to support you.

Let us know how you get on.

Helena xxx

Highlighted

Re: Breast pain

Hi,

I am so glad i found this site just like many other members here.

I had my treatments since December 2015.

Usual way , first treatments, then lumpectomy, then 25 radiations. Then Tamoxipen.

Had terrible side effects and got catarav=ct in both eyes, they are VERY dry now.

Now i get arimedix.( aromatase inhibitor).

Already had first checks, it was ok though the breat is harfer then the " healthy" one.

I was going better , it used to hurt , but all concentrated itself towards the nipple and i was told it is normal, a reaction to surgery and radiation.

Since last week the breast became harder, all around the scar and entire nipple.

I was panicked how can it be so long after surgery and radiation and then i found this site and saw that so many women share the same feelings.. it was good to feel a part of all these women.

Since i was diagnosed i am in constant fear, i tried to get back to routine , i work and function but this is only the outside facade,

I suffer and cannot find rest, i try to be buisy all of the time in order not to think and sleep only with reaxing pills even if i am exhausted.

I have a pain and tenderness in my breast and under the arm.

this fraeks me out. A person who was not ill cannot understand it.

Tomorrow i go to surgeon control and am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO afraid.

I do not want to tell him in advance, want him to check and see for himself, i do not want to influence him and have no energy to run to mammogram again. My oncologist said it was normal. the surgeon wanted me to undergo mammogram after half a year as recommended by the doctor who wrote the first check mamogram result.

I need to do it on march - one year after the first check.

Sorry it is so long.

I just have no one that realy understands me except YOU all the women here.as " A stranger will not understand It "

Hope to get a comment.

Dorit, Isreal.

Highlighted

Y'now (don't take this the wrong way please) I'd SUCH a relief to hear that other people have experienced the same sort of confusing things! The medics seem to keep me in the dark over what I can expect - when I told my GP I was still in pain she said had I been lifting heavy things, perhaps the pain is muscular! But it's in the site of the op n it was worrying me SO much. Now I read your comment and breath a sigh of relief NOT that u r in pain but that it sounds like it's pretty normal so long after the up. Bless you, thank you Cx
Highlighted
Community Champion

People seem to recommend the Accord brand -although we are all different so may not be the best one for you .What are you on now ?
Highlighted

Hello, can I join in please? I had lumpectomy and radiotherapy in summer 2015. I still have pain and tenderness in breast. Have just had my second year check and fortunately all seems ok. I asked oncologist if pain is normal, and she said it is the result of radiotherapy so it may or may not go away!

I am taking Anastrozole and have had unpleasant side effects...flushes, joint pain, pain in hands with trigger fingers, weight gain etc.  BUT, after 18 months my hand problems have pretty much disappeared, no pain and trigger fingers now ok.  Feel very lucky.  I am thinking of asking to change brand of tablets as I have heard that this sometimes helps...it will still be Anastrozole but hope a different brand may give fewer side effects. Does anyone have any experience of this please?

brenda

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi yes,some of us on the computerised system that they use have a very small percentage gain and my consultant told me that they are still not really sure who benefits from these drugs and who doesn't,some of us may be suffering horrible side effects with little or no gain.They are currently doing research into this .If you take the meds and they don't cause you much problem then it's not an issue ,if they greatly affect your quality of life it is miserable many lady's do stop after discussion with their breast care team .
Highlighted

Hi Jill thank you that's reassuring to know, I'm hoping all settles down and I'm back to Addenbrooke mid September. If no change will ask what other drug they suggest. The Oncologist said whilst I was on Tamoxifen, the benefit of me taking it was only 4%!!!!! apparently however they do this via computer, and what cancer you had. Worth knowing as I was told some people can't tolerate any drug, so end up not taking any. I was worried about this, as obviously wouldn't want cancer again, but it is all down to quality of life, and you go with what the experts advise. 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Ps I had op June 2015 and still uncomfortable in operated breast .
Highlighted
Community Champion

Oh you poor thing ,what a lot of scary side effects to deal with .Exhausting .Have you discussed what possible percentage gain you get from the meds with your Onc ?I know lots of ladies who on balance have decided that the gain was not worth the pain.Some of us are just so much more affected by the side effects than others ,quality of life is very important and there are no guarantees that the meds will stop a re-occurrence ,Hope things settle down for you soon .Jill.
Highlighted

Me again, I also forgot to say I also have pain now and again in or under the breast where I had surgery. I also notice this if my granddaughter leans against me in that particular area. Same goes I for if I get a hug in that area too. I did mention this to my Oncologist last time I saw her and she said its from having Radiotherapy. Hope this helps others that may be experiencing similar.

Highlighted

Re: Breast pain 12 months after lumpectomy

Hi everyone I had a lumpectomy and 18 zaps of radiation in September 2015. I was on Tamoxifen since then, but because of the horrendous size effects of which I tried to live with, my Oncologist has now put me on Letrazole. I've only been on it 3 weeks, but the side effects are just as bad, my hot sweats have returned with a vengeance every hour or so. I'm back to see my Oncologist in September to see how I've been. At the moment it's a nightmare, hot sweats, weight gain all over, swollen ankles, wrists, arms, everywhere, joint pain, leg pain, and feeling giddy at times. The past 15 months I have experienced extreme chest pain in the centre of my chest, so intense I was taken to hospital for tests, as the symptoms were like a heart attack, but luckily it wasn't but they also didn't know exactly what it was. They happen every few months or so and just come on, it lasts for approx 15 mins but the last one a few months ago was over an HR, and an ambulance was called, and morphine given which stopped the pain. I'm thinking it could be Cardiotoxicity (I had never heard of this until my Sister saw an article in a newspaper) and no medical person has mentioned this to date. Last but not least I'm continually feeling exhausted with no energy, even after doing housework for say about 30 mins I need to sit down and could stay sitting for hours. I'm trying to keep positive but at times very hard when you have so much to deal with. I hope this may be useful to other people who may be like me you are not alone ever.

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Janee

Have you been on anastrozole long? I take letrozole and found that if I take it in the evening, I don't get the nausea. Also I found it worse when I first started and now, 9 months on,it seems to have settled.

Hope this helps xx

Highlighted

This site is great , I had my lumpectomy last August after my routine mammogram showed two growths and whilst in surgery had lymph nodes removed. I sympathise with you over the tenderness and pain ,I try and live with it because I don't know who to talk to cos people say oh you look good and you'd never think I'd been 😷I'll. As I'm new o the area I live I don't know anyone to talk to and just explain my pain and anxieties. 

I could only have radiotherapy as I also have CLL and had chemo back in 2006/7. The meds they put me on was Anastrozole and had some side effects nausea,hot flushes. My gp wasn't happy giving me something for the nausea and when she did I could only have 28tabs that lasted a month.

I think I have gone off the reply by telling my story but I know exactly how you feel and the need to talk is vital

Highlighted

I had lumpectomy may 15th then 25th another because marginwas not enough .i start chemo july 13th.little nervous last 2 day had very sharp pains reading some of the comments i see it is normal feeling better about that thank you
Highlighted

I had chemo April to September 2016, surgery lymph nodes remove in October and rads in December, and still in pain around the site where tumour was, starting work on Monday and I'm so tired, my feet feelings like when I was on chemo. Does anyone find it uncomfortable to wear bras.
Highlighted

Hi...feeling pretty scared & anxious as i went thru a lupectomy & treatment in 2014, and have had regular check ups. however, in the past few weeks i have been experiencing that burning, stabbing pain that most of you have mentioned as well though what concerns me is that it's been almost 3 since the initial diagnosis. My dr is scheduling me for a mammogram and ultra sound to check things out. I am scared but I am sort of relieved to have found this site and feel a bit better reading other's experiences. I hope it's nothing but ever since beening ill and having the surgery etc etc...its so hard NOT to be feeling overly stressed and worrisome when something occurs.

Highlighted

Re: Breast pain 12 months after lumpectomy

This forum is brilliant as you all say people go you are looking well now, my op was last year and  also had splinter in lymph  i am still in pain from scarring and lumpy boob i had my year test done and all ok, but in the back of my mind i constantly worry. My husband re-assures me on a daily basis, but as i didnt know that i had it the first time,only due to mamogram (thank the lord these people exist) i would never had known.

As all say get it checked if worried, i had a panic attack about 3 months ago the Dr was brilliant and they really dont mind due to circumstances.

Hope all goes well

Elaine

Highlighted

I had 2 as well  but in July and September 2015 plus rads in January 2016. I find the burning sensation and the achiness  comes and goes and it's only at night that it gets to me. 

Highlighted

Hi, I had lumpectomy June 17th 2016 and another op on 21st July as margins weren't clear. I had the usual soreness in the area initially but for the past 2 weeks the area seems to have flared up with pain, a stabbing sensation and burning, it's more painful now than when I had the ops done. I'm at the hospital on 16th June for first mammogram since ops. This sudden onset of constant pain has worried me but after reading all the comments on this forum, it seems that it's not unusual.
Highlighted

I 'd hoped that I'd be able to sleep on my stomach again eventually..but 2 years after my lompectomy I still can't.. I live in hope.

Highlighted

I had a lumpectomy 14 months ago and still get a lot of pain both in my breast and under my arm. I am also suffering with the side effects of the medication ( Letrazole) to be honest can't remember the last pain free day I had 😢