Breast pain 18 months after lumpectomy

Does anyone still suffer pain so long after a lumpectomy. I am really really sore over the breast where the lump was removed. I had my check up with the surgeon in July of this year (1 year after surgery) and she said this was normal, and may be fluid. But it is agony when I lie down, sometimes I wear a bra at night to support my breast. Would welcome any thoughts anyone may have. Believe it or not I’m scared to go to docs, in case it starts all over again. Can’t believe I’m thinking like that, because all the way through they told me that I had gone to my docs early and my grade 3 cancer hadn’t spread to lymph nodes. Since then Ive been telling everyone else to go and get checked. Don’t get scared get checked, just like the poster. Now i’m doing it!!!

Hi Kelly

Please feel free to call our helpliners to talk your queries over as they may be able to offer some ideas or know of other people who have been affected in a similar way, the lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturday on 0808 800 6000 and they are here to support you

Take care

Lucy

Hi,

I am now 1 year after WLE and ANC, and I still have pain and tenderness around both scars. I also get swelling in the breast.

Someone on here suggested I try using ibuprofen gell on the area as an anti-inflammaotroy painkiller, and it works for me.

Lynda

Hi. I hasurge lumpectomy in march 2011. I was ok until after my radiotherapy Lin October 2011. After the booster rads to the scar it became very very tender. It’s ok now until someone hugs me or I catch it. Like nerve pain. At my check up in march thus year they told me to use ibuprofen gel. Investors bought it but not used it. I still can’t bring myself to touch where the lump was. Daft I know!! But I believe it’s supposed to help. None of the doctors I’ve mentioned it to seem alarmed.
Mandy xx

Hi There
I don’t knkow if this what you want to hear - I had a lumpectomy, TNC and 25 sessions of rads in 2007 and yes I still experience pain, breast swelling and occassionally a clear oil-like discharge. Apparently this can happen is an unfortunate side effect of the TNC and rads. I do get neuropathic pain as well. A small dose 10mg of amytripaline at night with co-codamol of a bad seems to keep it all under control.
Take care Jacqui

Hello My surgery was about 4 months ago and lymph node had a splinter in first node, so early days I know but having lots of pain, there was an infection which a course of anti-biotics did the trick., it is where the scarring is under arm and nipple area.

so I feel for you if 18 months down the line you are still sufferring :frowning: I suppose it all has to mend and knit back together. I find sleeping a problem at the moment as i sleep on my side, and the emotional side also keeps me awake also, so it is nice to chat to like minded people.

all the best Elaine

Hi Kelly i hve pain on my left side to which is sore to ly on at ngt in bed. The doctor said lik you its either fluid or ive pull tissue in that area. I got my lumph nodes out aswell as it had spread to them. It is worrying when ur sore still and dont no really why u do think the worst ??

Oh my operation was a year ago and got my 1st mammogram since then anout 2mths ago and they said everything was fine xx

I had mone a year ago March radio therapy and tamoxifen. My first annual app all clear in fen. Still get pain in breast where lump nodes removed.of I lean on it it hurts. I’m. Told its part of the process especially under the nipple loads of nerve endings healing.when I lean forward the bread feels top heavy and itchie

Same here have to careful with cuddles

I treat this regularly. Look for a clinician that does myofascial release.

Hi. I’m exactly the same. I had a wide lateral lumpectomy june 1st 2015. My breast hurts all the time. Aching, sharp pains and also under my arms around my ribcage. I’ve just been told to give it time but how much longer? I hate bothering my nurse or GP. I’m worried it might be back

Reading all your posts has reassured me no end.  I had my op beginning of June this year and rads July/August and was getting very anxious because I’m still getting sharp stabbing pains in breast and pains/aches in breast bone and ribs.  The mind starts working overtime especially in the early hours when laying awake unable to sleep even though I’m exhausted.  My skin has still not recovered from rads.  

This is whole thing is awful and seems never ending,  and I’m sure I’m not alone in that friends and family think that now treatment (other than hormone drug) is finished its all over and expect you to carry on physically and mentally the same as before, almost like you’ve had a cold but it gone now so forget it.

Wishing you all a good weekend xx

Hi all, and to Lesley…we were on July rads together. :smileyhappy:

I had lumpectomy on May 20th and still getting pain esp sharp stabs of pain behind the nipple. Saw surgeon a couple of weeks ago and he said it’s perfectly normal. Can last a year or two or longer! 

I was very worried it was another cancer forming but examined me and reassured me it’s all ok. Still some swollen tissue from rads. Not nice to have the pain but is nice to know it’s normal. Also I find wearing a bra helps. 

All the best, 

Pat xx 

Hello Pat, lovely to hear from you.  As usual, reassuring words from you.  Yes, wearing a bra “supports” and helps the aching but I do whip it off as soon as I get indoors as nipple is still peeling and sensitive, between a rock and a hard place, what’s best? Like everything on this BC journey you just have to go along with it.

how are you doing with Anastrozole?  I’m coming to the end of a 6 week break as I was feeling so awful due to lack of sleep (flushes/sweating) which haven’t improved, so guess it’s menopausal not all down to the drug, though now off it I find I manage to drop off between flushes whereas on it once they started I was wide awake all night.

Hope ms is  stable and you’re keeping well xx

Nice to hear from you Lesley and Mary. :smileyhappy:

Lesley, I’m doing ok on Anastrozole (touch wood!). I’m having some hot flushes but not too bad. No pain in joints yet but I do take 75 mg of Amitriptyline daily for MS pain so I think I might have managed to kill two birds with one stone! Hope it continues like this!

My fatigue is through the ceiling! Was bad enough living with MS fatigue but it’s even worse now. I’m not sure if it’s the Anastrozole or my MS reacting to it. On the up side, at least I’m used to fatigue and my life is arranged to deal with it…have meals delivered, have a cleaner etc etc. 

For the first few weeks I had terrible trouble getting to sleep but it’s better now. Just the occasional night. I take the pill in morning. :womanhappy:

Mary, can you ask someone about your back? The rads nurse maybe for the BC nurse? It might be related…hard to say. It might be because you are so tired. When I’m very tired I tend to get lower back pain. 

Kelly, hope the pain is improving or at least that you are reassured and not worrying about it. I wonder if massaging the breast would help, esp if there’s liquid it there. Might help to disperse it. There’s more to this BC lark than it says on the packet!!!

Wishing you all well. :cathappy:

Pat xx 

Omg!! Reading all the comments about pain and discomfort so long after surgery and treatment, is such a comfort to me as I thought it was just me, although I just had my annual mammogram and it come back normal I still have doubts, also people think all is ok now you’ve finished treatment and back to work, plus good friends now ignore me and family (mother-inlaw)that didn’t want to see me whilst going through treatment and didn’t contact me or my boyfriend during our ‘rollercoaster journey’ now wonders why we don’t join them for family events now, anyone would think I had a contagious cold/virus not cancer. Thank god I have amazing friends x

Omg!! Reading all the comments about pain and discomfort so long after surgery and treatment, is such a comfort to me as I thought it was just me, although I just had my annual mammogram and it come back normal I still have doubts, also people think all is ok now you’ve finished treatment and back to work, plus good friends now ignore me and family (mother-inlaw)that didn’t want to see me whilst going through treatment and didn’t contact me or my boyfriend during our ‘rollercoaster journey’ now wonders why we don’t join them for family events now, anyone would think I had a contagious cold/virus not cancer. Thank god I have amazing friends.

I was diagnosed in March had my lumpectomy and my lymph nodes removed in April 2016 , which were clear , and recently Iv been worried about the pain Iv been having , specially when I’m sleeping as I sleep on my front and the pain wakes me up , reading people’s post that even at 18 months they still have pain ,kind of makes me at ease and worries me that it could last that long . And also reading how family and colleagues think because your treatment is over that your ok , and thinking because your walking around and even working that your ok , I’m fed up with people saying you look good and glad your ok , I won’t to say to them well when you have had a doctor say those words you never thought you would hear you have cancer , and then have half your breast cut away , and a mixture of chemicals pumped into you body and bombarded with radiation and the pain you feel and the emotional feelings your going through , then and only then you will know how I feel , And know saying your ok so get over it is so far from ok to say .Iv also Hurd people say you find out who is your friends , and that is so true , I cannot belive a so called friend stopped talking to me because I cancel a holiday because I was recovering, and to this day blames me for reckoning her holiday . My advice to anyone with a negative person in there life while going through cancer get rid of them and look after yourself . 

Thanks everyone,  very reassuring to hear your comments.  Had lumpectomy end of September,  and get occasional twinges and twangs  in my breast especially the week after chemo; or if unwell-just getting over a chest infection which was not fun coinciding with 2 days after chemo.

How did people find the T half of chemo, as compared to FEC?

Any strategies?

Thanks.