327468posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breast pain 18 months after lumpectomy

170 REPLIES 170

Re: Breast pain 18 months after lumpectomy

So reassuring to me to read this l too am suffering in silence with alot of pain inthe side of my breast and under armpit l worry about it so much...love to all you ladies.

Community Champion

Welcome to the forum Trixe.I still have sensitive boob 4 years on .

Hi I am new to this forum i all so have breast pain 16 months on was wondering how long it would last looks like we just have to try and get through it the best way we can sending hugs 

Hi all,

It will be 3 years on the 12th April since my lumpectomy, I still get pail (not as bad) and get swellings under my arm and down my arm. I have been told this is normal after a lumpectomy and radiotherapy. I have now been diagnosed with 

fibromyalgia, I was blaming the Letrozol (which causes joint pain but apparently there are many women who have had breast cancer can develop fibro. So now i have the joy of joint and muscle pain most days but at least i am still here to moan about it. Sending love, light and healing power to you all. Heart

I think we live in constant fear I had a good cry the other day because my kids reckon I push them away and then told them why would I worry them by saying everyday I wake up in pain and In fear just had my second mammogram had a scare because there was a density that needed further scanning vur I am exhausted waited 3 weeks for results and them the next day in for scan everything was fine but still in so much pain 2 years down the line

This is awful we have been through so much it is nearly 2 years since my surgery and radiotherapy one of my biggest issues were the cording and tightness around my arm chest and breast I did find out that the pectoral muscle which covers the shoulder chest cavity and ribs  and breast apparently can shrink due to radiotherapy which causes the tightness I am now having physio which is helping but sometimes the more my breast feels heavy and swollen the more I find I can't catch my breath the after effects of treatment is horrific 

Gosh frampton 16 weeks?? That's a lot to go through!! But at least we are through it!!💖💖

I had a lumpectomy 5 months ago and then 16 weeks of radiation. My breast is lumpy, hard, looks like leather and I often experience shooting pains which has concerned me, but after reading this post, I realize it is normal. Also, I suffer from fibromyalgia which causes me to hurt all over. There are times that I feel that I can not make it another day. My husband does not understand which makes it even worse. 

It is so reassuring to read these blogs..........it certainly makes it easier knowing so many of you feel the same as me, having had 6 sessions of chemo, lumpectomy, 22 lymph nodes removed and 3 weeks rads !!! i know im only 3months down the line but my goodness its still so painful.....hard lumpy boob, itchy rad burns and stiffness and pain under armpit. Painkillers really dont seem to touch it.......so even though your 18months down the line and still in pain at least it has stopped me worrying about it so much.   i agree with what some of you say about being left to juat cope and are just told to read the leaflets, so hearing from you reaaly has helped...thankyou J x

Omg exactly the same I have had the fear of God in me its also about 18 months since my operation still so many shooting pains sore ribs and pains in my arm your body feels alien it is so difficult to deal with you feel so alone as you say there is so much your not told I was in so much pain this week I didn't think I would survive the night I was absolutely petrified  thank you for sharing not that I want any of you to suffer but sought of reassuring to know I am not on my own

Hi Jackie 

I have been googling breast pain 18 months on from treatment and ended up here! I know you posted this a year ago, but reading it has helped me as I’m gripped by the fear. The aches pains and soreness have been freaking me out!!! No one at the hospital tells you about this, and they have fobbed me off, so I’ve been suffering and worrying alone. Just wanted to share what a help this post has been!

i hope you are doing really well

Jackie x

This is very comforting to read, I’ve been very worried about the different aches and pains in my breast and that area! 

@Alibobs wrote:
Hi Tucky. Just wanted to put your mind at rest and confirm that I am 14 months after lumpectomy and SNB and 11 months since radiotherapy and I still have discomfort on my treated side. I think its internal scarring and the result of radiotherapy. I believe this will lessen in time. I just had my first year all clear last month so I will take a little discomfort in the knowledge that all is ok. Wish you well and if you need to you can always speak to your BCN im sure she will put your mind to rest. 💖💖

I also seem to have a weird ache/pain sort of under my boob close to my rib. I also get a weird pain in the side of my boob near my armpit.  It freaks me out. I guess this is normal? It’s 18 months since my lumpectomy, I’m waiting for my annual mammogram, I just want it over with, it’s all such a worry!

@Julie4556 wrote:

Hi, I could of wrote this, i am exactley the same and i too feel like i have just been dumped and no one gives a dam. I am still n a lot of pain in my breast and under my arm, I ake Letrozole and now have Fybromialgia to cope with too. I would recommend to anyone to have a full mastectomy as my sister had one 5 months before i had my lumpectomy and she has not had any troble at all. I am in pain most days and am worse when i go to bed, the pains in my legs, hips, arms etc are getting worse day by day. But guess we are lucky in one way and we were treated in time. xxx Hugs xxx

Hi, I could of wrote this, i am exactley the same and i too feel like i have just been dumped and no one gives a dam. I am still n a lot of pain in my breast and under my arm, I ake Letrozole and now have Fybromialgia to cope with too. I would recommend to anyone to have a full mastectomy as my sister had one 5 months before i had my lumpectomy and she has not had any troble at all. I am in pain most days and am worse when i go to bed, the pains in my legs, hips, arms etc are getting worse day by day. But guess we are lucky in one way and we were treated in time. xxx Hugs xxx

Hi, I just wanted to say what a comfort it is reading this, I’ve been silently fretting for ages, I had a lumpectomy 18 months ago, and have exactly the same, pain and aching and soreness around my rib at the bottom of my boob and in the armpit. I thought I was the only one! 

@saralou wrote:
Hi, I had my lumpectomy and radiotherapy two and a half years ago and I still have a very lumpy sore breast and soreness around my ribcage and armpit. If I had known I would be left with these lumps I would've begged for a mastectomy. I've had two clear mammograms but I never fully trust them, as I'd had a clear mammogram just before I found my tumour.
With these hard lumps you are always questioning whether they have changed shape or feel different. I did go back to the breast care centre last year as I was worried but was made to feel like I was wasting their time and being paranoid.
I was given Exemastene to take but no one has ever checked my medication in two years. I hate taking it, it makes me feel nauseous and all my joints hurt. My gp said he didn't know the drug and couldn't help. I feel as if you are completely left on your own. Sorry I sound such a misery. I've not talked about this to anyone since my treatment.

Hi, I had my lumpectomy and radiotherapy two and a half years ago and I still have a very lumpy sore breast and soreness around my ribcage and armpit. If I had known I would be left with these lumps I would've begged for a mastectomy. I've had two clear mammograms but I never fully trust them, as I'd had a clear mammogram just before I found my tumour.
With these hard lumps you are always questioning whether they have changed shape or feel different. I did go back to the breast care centre last year as I was worried but was made to feel like I was wasting their time and being paranoid.
I was given Exemastene to take but no one has ever checked my medication in two years. I hate taking it, it makes me feel nauseous and all my joints hurt. My gp said he didn't know the drug and couldn't help. I feel as if you are completely left on your own. Sorry I sound such a misery. I've not talked about this to anyone since my treatment.

I just wanted to say how reassuring this forum is.   Reading the posts has helped me enormously as I have been worrying about pain. Thank you lovely ladies. 

sessions. My left, operated on breast is now much bigger than the right, the nipple is very tender, I have stabbing pains, thickened lumpy areas and oedema. I am conscious of it all the time, bras don't fit and my left arm keeps bumping into the swollen side. I honestly wish I could have had a mastectomy instead.

Exercising with any vigour is impossible as it jolts the breast and is painful. 

Well, moan over, I otherwise feel OK, can taste food again properly and have some hair so no longer need a head covering. Counting my blessings! 

I am 7 months after lumpectomy, lymph node removal and 20 radiotherapy sessio

Hi Tucky. Just wanted to put your mind at rest and confirm that I am 14 months after lumpectomy and SNB and 11 months since radiotherapy and I still have discomfort on my treated side. I think its internal scarring and the result of radiotherapy. I believe this will lessen in time. I just had my first year all clear last month so I will take a little discomfort in the knowledge that all is ok. Wish you well and if you need to you can always speak to your BCN im sure she will put your mind to rest. 💖💖

Hi Ladies,

I am 6 months post op for lumpectomy and bilateral mammoplasty (reduction) and almost 4 months post radiotherapy.  

my problem is that my left breast, which is the one with radiotherapy is still really tender; i can't lie on my front at all.  i understand that the itchiness is part of healing but i just wonder if i am expecting things to be back to normal too quickly.

Also, has anyone else's scar become raised and hard ?  I am still finding wearing a bra uncomfortable (post op bra) on the left side and sometimes have to wear a dressing under the left side for comfort.  thanks xx

Will do x
Community Champion

racehl

Let us know how you get on if you want to xxx

Thanks for answering. I’ll call them Monday as pain is only recent. 

Community Champion

rachel root

It does take a bit of time for your breast to settle down after having had rads, I still get occasional aches and pains 20 months after finishing rads, but if you are concerned and need reassurance, give your bcn a call to see what she says xxx

I’ve just come on here for same reason although I only finished radio 3 months ago. After lumpectomy, sentinel node removal and radio plus boosts my boob is more painful now than the ongoing pain I had prior to diagnosis. Is letrozole a factor?

Hi welsh lady 66, I have just been going threw the stories again and noticed yours which I replied to in January. In April I was diagnosed with cellulitis and was on antibiotics for over 3 months, went for a mammogram in June first one since lumpectomy a yr ago and thank god it was clear. The consultant said it was due to radiotherapy.  3 months later I still have breast pain and it is like looking at blotchy red skin that covers half my breast. Every now and again it will feel cooler to the touch.how did you find out that you had fibrosis and lymphodema of the breast. Thank you jo 

My first mammo came back as clear too, i didn't think it wouldn't, just going to accept that to get treated and grt rid of the cancerexperience some problems afterwards but now i know what my breast now looks and feels like i know what is bew normal for examining my breasts x

I am a breast c survivor of 9 years and had cellulitis 4 times and took antibiotics and it always cleared up don’t worry it’s normal for women with lymph node removal 💓

I had lumpectomy on left breast 9 years ago got 14 lymph nodes removed because I had BC with lump removal and I went to atm reached out over my door jeep to deposit money in with left arm now I have breast pain and it’s really sore ....I hate when this happens

I had DCIS with micro invasion. All removed with clean margins. 15x radiotherapy, and now tamoxifen. I rang the BCN before when I had some discomfort - as some of you say, like the sensations that made me seek a mammogram in the first place. The pain is very mild, worse when I poke and prod. My first year mammo was clear, and that was only 2 months ago. As you are, I am trying to be positive as there is plenty of reassurance in this thread.

Hi mishy, I have now been told it is another side effect of radiotherapy and it may clear up it may not, still I will take that diagnosis as we all know we have faced worse. Jo x

I have them still too as well as some breast swelling but i did get a clinic app as i was worried so yeah i would ring if you are concerned we are all different so its better to get checked if you are unsure, mines breast lymphodema through rads and nerve damage from nodes removed i also had pain as a symptom as well as my lump xx

I had a wide excision and sentinel node followed by 15# radiotherapy, still getting sharp stabbing pains 8 months on, felt just like the pains that alerted me to the cancer in the first place, the trouble is who knows what is normal afterwards, don’t like to bother the bcn but worried about ignoring it, am also on letrozole , anyone else get these stabbing pains ??

Community Champion

Mishy

I am well thank you, spent the afternoon in the garden and I am absolutely shattered now. 

Got to rest up now as I have a bowls game tomorrow afternoon so a nice relaxing evening I think.

Thank you for your lovely words

Helena xxx

Ladies get it checked i did and it was post rads stuff fluid scars etc the relief was lovely, to be reasurred out my worries to bed so as Helena advised get checked out x
Hope you are enjoying the sunshine Helena and life is good as always you are always looking out for others 👍💖
Community Champion

Smiffy

The same as Fayeb, the only way you are going to get peace of mind that it is nothing to be concerned about is to give your breast care nurse a call, it does take time for things to settle down after surgery and radiotherapy, not sure if you had that, but honestly give her a call on Monday.

Senfing you hugs

Helena xx

Community Champion

Fayeb

I totally understand your fear of getting it checked out but honestly that is the only way you are going to get peace of mind that it is nothing other than your body still settling down after treatment. I know it is really scary but give your beast care nurse a call on Monday and just talk it through with her, you really do not need the constant worry of this with everything else that you are having to contend to.

The lump you can feel is very likely to be scar tissue, which is what it has been with other ladies on here who felt it around the scar site, or it could be something like a cyst, which is easily dealt with, but you need to make that call.

I am sending you our virtual tough pants and we are all in the pockets with you to support you in making the call, plus lots of hugs

Helena xxx

tough pants.jpg

Yes i have a lot of pain. Lump removed in august finished radiation in december. On hormone pills. I seem to be getting sorer & can feel a lump near scar site. Hurts to lift arm i get sharp pains too. Very tender. Pain when i take bra off. Hot flushes & night sweats pain in knees. I still did usual house things from 2 days after op. Struggled from halfway through 15 rad treatments. Getting ready for Christmas was a big struggle.. I was treated like people thought once lump was out that was it. No-one offered any help. Daughter did what she could but doesnt live close & works. Hubby just ignored pain i was in. I feel really let down. I have helped others constantly.I am starting to really struggle with pain & stress. Plus now hubby has dementia for me to deal with plus my 97 year old father keeps having falls at aged care. I am scared to get checked too

I had my lumpectomy a year ago this month and this last month have been getting a lot of pain, I have read in the literature that it can be normal for some but it doesn't make you feel good. You think maybe the cancer has come back because the cancer that I had removed was so small so am a little worried but got to think positive which a am trying to do. 

Hi i rang back again last Tuesday as when i woke up breast looked more swollen and i have a patch of skin on breast lower part that looks like orange peel like tgere are loads of little prin prick indentations on surface of skin, with some swelling around scar, the bcn is arranging an app with her and bc surgeon to have a look should be seen within a week
Your post about cellulitis is interesting i think i may have some serma type thing and rads damage as scar area is very lumpy hopefully my problem will be resolved there may be nothing that can be done but just wanted to have it checked out xx

I finished my rads end of September, went back November had fluid removed in breast, then a sample taken from  lumpy swelling over scar thank god was told possibly seroma. 6 weeks ago was diagnosed with breast cellulitis have a fantastic drs and have been on antibiotics. Dr now given me a different antibiotic for 3 weeks if not improved have to go to bc hospital, I was told 10 out of 100 women get it who had a lumpectomy and radiotherapy yet when I ask people they have never heard of it, this worries me also. I am due for 1st mammogram in June and am worrying if I will be not be able to have it. I feel I take one step forward then three back. I am so scared again . I come on here every day and always feel I am not on my own even if I do not reply I read all comments . 

Just to add i am not on any hormone blockers as my bc was TN had axillary rads as well as breast, so at least i can rule out the med se causing any pain xx

I think we all feel like we are pests and complain all the time, but until they have been through it they will never understand. You are not a pest just a concerned women xxx

Hi ladies my breast and under arm is very painful surgery was a yrar this May finished rads jan this year i have a lumpy swelling near scar site of tumor and a little concerned i rann bc nurses and the said its early days since finishing treatment however at first surgery follow up they said a bc nurse would class it as lympodema so I don't know if i should if i should ask to be seen i didn't want to come across as overly anxious or a pest advice please!!!!!

Hi Flossie13

To be honest i have not heard of lymphedema in the breast. I will ask about it next time i see someone. 

Hi, I have had a lot of problems after my lumpectomy and radiotherapy. Was advised to get checked for breast lymphoedema and it is thought I have that. Might be worth getting checked for this? 

So have they not given you any medication ?? x

Hi Julie4556. No I wasn't given either of those drugs. But since bc I have been diagnosed as having fibro myalgia. I too feel as though I have aged 20 years or more. I have also gained lots of weight which is duet the amytriptiline and gabapentin. I feel so fed up with it all. My breast is a constant ache and hurts to touch it really gets you down, I can't remember the last time I felt really positive about anything😕

Hi Jackie, i am exactley the same, do you have the side effects fro the letrazole ? or are you on the Tomoxifen ? I dont think i have hd a pain free day for 2 years since surgery and yes i feel the same when i go to the GPs , I feel like no one believes how bad the pain can be sometimes. I to was quite fit before all this and feel like i have aged 20 years. But it is good to know there are other who understand and know what it feels like. x Hope you feel better soon Smiley Happy xx