DIEP reconstruction cost

Hi everyone,

I’ve been looking into reconstruction options since my initial diagnose in October 2018, and the surgery and treatment which followed.

I’ve researched the possible procedures and have decided to have a DIEP procedure. I’ve found an amazing surgeon and, once his clinics are up and running again, I will start the counselling sessions and patient groups. All of this will take time, which I fully appreciate, but I’ve struggled with two years of a prosthetic and have been told to expect my surgery in 2 years’ time because the wait list is so long. I feel really low. The last 2 years have been very long and very hard, and I’m now trying to get my life back together. Up to a year wouldn’t have been too bad, especially with all the prep I need, but to face another 2 years with no confidence, feeling unable to choose nice clothes, avoiding swimming at all costs etc, is so disappointing.

I’m wondering about the cost of the procedure if I go privately, in order to reduce the wait time. I don’t have private insurance, so it would be self-pay. It may be totally unaffordable, but I just wanted to consider it first. My breast care nurse told me it was “prohibitively expensive” but didn’t actually qualify that with a price range.

Has anyone had the procedure privately to be able to give me a rough idea of the cost?

Hi Helen,  I didn’t have reconstruction but I think you can google private hospitals in your area or anywhere in fact and generally they can give you prices of procedures on a self pay basis.  You don’t have to commit yourself to anything.  BuPA do packages which include the operation, anaesthetic and recovery in hospital.  I was offered DIEP but didn’t want it because I was self employed at the time and couldn’t afford to take the necessary time off work to recover.  Good luck with it xx