327539posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darling buddies from May - moving on

Community Champion

Re: Darling buddies from May - moving on

Happy birthday for tomorrow Carole. Is it one with a zero on the end then, it sounded like a biggy from what you said. You have done incredibly well, after having so many issues in the early days and then finding you actually had a more complex type of bc than they had diagnosed. I remember it all and I for one am absolutely delighted that you and all of us are approaching later years, congratulations.Have a fab day, you deserved it. Love Lily xx

Community Champion

I haven't been to Portugal Lily but I've heard some places are lovely and it has almost year round sunshine. So enjoy. I can't belive you are not offered a flu jab with your job, what is the state coming to? Even Mr Ps employers have said they will cover the cost of one. It's not expensive, and might hold off some of those nasty bugs.

We're off to carcassonne tomorrow, an historical city in France I believe. Looking forward to having a nice meal out on my birthday - one I wish I wasn't having but inevitable, and I praise that I am still here 10 years on from what we all went through 😁.

So hope Nicky is having a great time in Iceland and all is well with everyone. Love Carole xx ☓ 

Community Champion

Hi everyone, how are you all? Lisa good luck with the applications. I am sure there is something nice out there waiting for you, even if you don't get the first one or two you see. You never know, you may be exactly what they are looking for. Well I live on sugar and carbs so that would be the worst diet in the world for me to try. Even though it would probably be the most effective one! I am just thinking about it at the moment as I have too many nice treats from Christmas and birthdays are approaching with more no doubt!  

Carole hope your eye continues to improve. Lovely when you get such good effects from a procedure.No I don't qualify for a flu jab although they are under £10 if you want to buy one if I really did want one. my virus is just about gone, was rather persistent and had a high temperature with it. Strangely nobody at all caught it from me (that I saw around that time), despite me sneezing and coughing my head off. So at least I don't feel guilty, especially if the little ones were unwell. We booked our holiday and will be staying in Lisbon in a big hotel close to a lot of the places we want to visit and close to the nice shopping spots as we like to stroll around in the evenings while away. Victor has been busy booking seats to make sure his legs aren't squashed and fast track and anything else to make that part of the holiday go quicker. Has anyone stayed in the capital? Its really close to lovely beaches too if we want a day in the sand! I don't know about you but all your talk of trips has put me in a holiday mood, so I am hoping to do a small trip too. Nicky I will look forward to hearing about your exciting trip when you get back. I hope you manage to keep warm enough to be able to see everything you want to. Green with envy. Well better buzz off. love Lily xxx

Community Champion

Ouch lily that virus sounds awful, know that cough till your sick feeling, I've still got the cough but nothing near as bad. Carol glad your eye is healing.

not much to report here... I'm trying to count calories and done well during week but then wine and. Nibbles tonight grhh. The Keatonic diet sounds fab guy at work lost 2 stone in 8 weeks, but the lack of sugar and carbs gives me headaches. If I don't loose this week back to slimming world as hols end march but got 5 weekends busy before then eek.

work mad and merger won't happen till August but I'm thinking it's time for a change but very scary after 23 years but not much round here.... I've done my cv at last and I've applied for a job but it didn't advertise salary. It's and Admin manager at an engineering consultants and obviously with bnfl 20mins away it might work out well but I'm not sure I'll even get an interview cos jobs round here get 100s applicants but at least I've done it.

Nicky hope you're having fab time xxx

night all 

Community Champion

I hope you are feeling a bit better Lily your acidy cold sounds horrid.   Do you get a flu jab every year for working in an environment that is high risk?  I hope all the little people are not suffering it. I've heard parts of Portugal are lovely, but avoid the high tourist areas.   Good luck with finding something.

Oh Nicky, Iceland, superb.  I too would love a trip to Iceland but I would have to buy a whole new wardrobe to cope with the cold weather.   Are you going to try and see the Northern Lights?   It's on my wish list but goodness knows when I might get there.

In fact Mr P nearly booked us a 7 day cruise to see the Northern Lights, but there were no cruises in January (for my birthday).

I'm ok, but it changes on a day to day basis. The weather has improved a bit in the last couple of days so that helps. Sounds like we are all on a diet!   I am 10 kilos more than pre-chemo so it would be nice to get at least half of that off.  It's not easy though is it?

Eye was done last Friday so I'm putting in drops. I have a slight black eye but nothing as bad as the last time. I'm amazed at how bright everything looks when the sun is out.

Love Carole xxx

Community Champion

Hi everyone, how are you all? Lisa how did it go on Monday with the merger? I think its best to stick with what you know but still keep an eye out for an exciting new opportunity and then take it. Carole you better tell me what this ketogenic diet is then if its good. Although as I am typing I am pretty sure it will mean eating things I absolutely hate or giving up foods I would kill for ha ha. I have 4 meal replacement bars to try but I can't stick shakes so a bit limited. First of all I need to get serious and try properly. So until then I am carrying on as usual. I have been off work feeling really ill with a high temperature and didn't really know where I was, horrendous acid and a cough to match so had to sleep sitting upright or just sick. Just a virus cold but hit me hard for some reason.I'm thinking of buying shares in a tissue making company.  Relieved to  be on my way out of it and not encouraged by people telling me if I get the Australian flu I will be like that for 7 - 10 days Smiley Sad

The dog has been very pleased to be able to sprawl across the bed next to me for days. I think she would live in there if given the chance. Carole you sounded a little low and I hope you are starting to brighten up as Nicky said as you think about some visits over here. You could always make some nice things for your GD - maybe a nice quilt or cover for when she gets into a bed or summer dresses if you can turn your hand to clothes? Get yourself busy with a project.  Our little girl has dummies at night and they leave 3 in the cot so she can find one in any direction, if that is something they might like to try. The midwifes really encourage dummies now especially if breathing trouble as it keeps that airway open so a bit safer, especially for the wheezy ones. I'm sure they will work out what is best for him. Good luck. 

Well I am as green as green hearing about all these trips. Iceland is somewhere I would like to visit too, what temperature would it be there at this time? How lovely to have a holiday with your daughter and then others to plan Smiley Happy   Lisa trips to Florida and New York, oh you are really getting to me with that. Look at the internal flights as our relatives use them to fly between the same 2 areas and they are very casual compared to the big airports. We have been invited to a wedding in the states too but its school time and even if I went unpaid I would only be allowed a really short trip and the thought of my air sickness twice close together is not making me want to try the trip. I thought about jumping out the plane flying back from New York as I felt so bad. Typical that I always seem to get bumpy flights compared to others. Wish I could travel around like all of you guys without any yukkiness. I am trying to book a holiday somewhere close though, so Europe. Thinking of Portugal. Anyone got advice where to stay if we want places to look round as well as a sunbathe? Better go as dog is pressuring me into letting it in our room! The eyes bore through you. Love Lily xx

Community Champion

Hi ladies

Sorry you had a sad Christmas without Heidi, Carole and the dull and damp weather won’t have helped you I’m sure. You will miss her of course but her time had come and it was better she was out of pain and stress -personally I think we often treat our pets more kindly at the end of their lives than we do our old folk! On a happier note I hope the weather picks up and maybe there’s something you can put your mind to to keep you busy until the days become longer and warmer? A visit to the UK to see little miss maybe?

Well, GS has eventually got through the worst of his cold, having been prescribed steroids, as you mentioned Lily. Poor little lamb, and obviously some sleepless nights for his Mum and Dad as he wasn’t settled at all over the last week. Happy to report he’s back to his usual cheeky self with big smiles and laughs and sleeping much better. What ED and her OH hope is he might have ditched his dummy during this time at night as he didn’t need it to get back to sleep and that was something they were going to have to break the habit of as he was waking up when he dropped his dummy. Hmmmmmm, I have to remind ED that we had to do the same with her, she was sleeping a good 10 hours a night but I was getting up goodness knows how many times to put the bloody thing back in! So maybe they won’t have to do that but and he may have done it for himself now. 

Lisa, hoping whatever is happening at work doesn’t impact you anymore but presumably very difficult to stay there when it’s not the same and also very difficult to move to another equal job? At least you’re always planning nice holidays with family and friends so there’s always something to look forward to 😊☀️

Talking of holidays YD and I are off to Iceland in a week or so, whilst OH is on a business trip elsewhere. We’ve always wanted to go so decided as a last minute. Brrrrrr, it would be nice to be going somewhere hot but as long as we are wrapped up it should be OK. After that, and depending on my results, OH and I will try to book something fairly soon but can’t really plan too much in advance until some stability is shown.

Have a good week all

Nicky xx

Community Champion

Hi all, hope your all okay and everyone boding or recovered from damn bugs lol x

carole, hope the eye patch is holding up, must say you rock the eye patch look 😍. My dry January has disspareared due to family get together but starts again on Monday. A guy at work has done that diet and lost 2 stone in 8 weeks....

lily, I'm still at work but I'm not sure what to do at the moment, we are announcing our takeover or merger on Monday but to be honest the way we have treated our staff in this latest restructure has been so bad I have lost my love for the place after 22 years almost. Busy planning New York for 3 days after Florida and so excited but they are all leaving it for me to sort so feeling under pressure lol.

NIcky, let us know when results come in and it sounds like you've managed to have a nice Xmas despite dratted bug xxx

night all xx

Community Champion

Hi everyone how are you? Nicky I hope the colds are starting to improve at least and preferably have gone by now. Always a worry with the loittle ones I know. One of ours gets into trouble very easily with his asthma on top of any cold and needs steroids and treatments. When they are little though its just really hard to judge when to get a check and when its ok to sit it out. I hate the worry and hope it didn't go on for too many nights. I love the fact that your OH keeps on trying to buy the perfect gift, such perseverence shows great dedication. Sometimes I think men think in a completely different way and latch on to their last successful purchase and stick with that one. I chose a lot of my own as Victor does not take rejection nearly as well and looks so disappointed. I try to give him easy ideas but that still proves tricky! 

Lisa how are you getting on at work now? Will you stick it out? Hope the house is more settled after all the work last year. I need some holiday ideas everyone. Summer hols so Europe and we like historic sights and places to walk to every day if possible.

Carole happy new year to you as well and hoping health issues settle down a little for you, after a very busy last year. Reading your words I can feel that blessed mammo, ouch! I can email wedding pics if you like yes, just send the address by pm. I was glad of a longer that usual break from work after such a busy December and I have tons of work to do as well. That's normal. Good job I am not clothes shopping in France then. I certainly would struggle to fit! It sounds like a quiet Christmas but hopefully the new year will bring trips to visit everyone and see how the children have all grown. Something to look forward to and plan. Beastly bad tempered nurse so I am glad you stood your ground. Upsetting though and i hope you are over it. Also that your eye is on the mend. Aye aye Captain Peacock Smiley Happy  No I haven't heard of that diet but clearly I should as definitely larger than I want to be. terrible lot of chocolate in the house though so I am delaying it. 

Most of all Nicky let me know when you get your results and everything crossed as always for a good start to the year.

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Community Champion

Happy New Year to all my buddy friends and I hope it is a good one for you all.

Lily I hope that you managed your vegging out time following your busy Christmas and the wedding, which sounds a lovely day by the way.  I would also love to see some photos if you would like my email address PM me.

Lisa how is your tiredness now, did you manage to get some relaxing time before your return to work? I know what you mean about the dancing ache, I used to love dancing but these days I can’t do it without lots of painkillers before and after! It always gets me in the hips lol.

Nicky I’m so sorry that your GS is having difficulties with his breathing.   Everyone I know in the UK has had, or has now this Australian flu type thing which seems to linger on for weeks unfortunately.   Fingers, as always are crossed for good results for your scan. Mr P always struggles to know what to get and I am a difficult one to buy for as French clothes usually don’t fit (they’re built for very tiny, very slim petite women, of whom I am not) and when it comes to ornamental type things I am quite fussy.

We had a quiet Christmas, we all struggled a bit as it wasn’t the same without Heidi, but it was nice to spend some time together.   YD was off on her travels to Prague on Boxing Day where she spent New Year.   Mr P and myself were fed up with the weather, every day was extremely grey, wet and windy so not good for even going for a walk. Our village is deathly quiet at the best of times so we didn’t see anyone and video messaged to the UK children and grandchildren, which is not the same as a hug.   Still that’s our life so we have to put up with it. I can’t believe how big GD is getting but she is still lovely and her chubby cheeks are a delight.

Yesterday I had a bad experience with a nurse who came to do a blood test.  She couldn’t find the vein and got extremely cross so I refused to let her try the hand and then she demanded I pay her for her time and diesel.   I refused, believing she was too inexperienced to take blood from a difficult patient – then she had the cheek to tell me it wasn’t her fault!!!!   Anyway I stood my ground and wouldn’t pay her, so off she stormed in a huff.   I was upset and angry about it all day believing it was my fault my veins are bad.

Tomorrow I will be pirate Jack for a few days again as I am having the other cataract done.   I am not looking forward to this but I know it should be over in an hour or so. My mammogram results were echo but they had a struggle to flatten the boob enough being as it’s a reconstruction.

Lisa, you and I are both on diets.   I am giving up alcohol (have managed 2 days so far) and am going to do my best to exercise more. Has anyone tried the ketogenic diet? I’m going to try to eat more fruit, I like the exotic fruits best like papaya and mango which are incredibly expensive here.  

Well I had better get on, no good sitting here in my PJs when there are things to be done.   So again, I wish you all a happy new year and thank you for your support.   Love Carole xx

Community Champion

Well I’m getting over my cold, slowly, but unfortunately GS who caught it from me (and/or OH) is suffering a bit with his breathing. So yesterday morning was spent with ED (and GS) going to a Drs appt and helping her out.  Hoping he had improved overnight but sounds like she will be back at the Drs today as he is still struggling and you don’t want to take any chances with a young baby. I’ve heard of so many people at the moment who have had a cold that lingers on so there seems to be quite a nasty strain doing the rounds - hope none of you got it over Christmas and if you’ve already been suffering that it clears up soon.

My poor OH, he does his best for presents and I tell him that if I wasn’t concerned how much he spends i would keep a lot of the things but I always like to get usage out of them so a top or similar that I’ll only wear the once in my mind has to go back! I also struggle with the positioning of my port which is a very noticeable lump on my chest (so annoyed that the surgeon didn’t position it better) so he tries to choose clothes that don’t have a V neck but the round necks can also cause a problem as they don’t always disguise this lump, depends on the fabric and the hang of it - so I do feel sorry for him. Never mind at least I get the vouchers to then spend on what I will wear the most or something I didn’t get but actually wanted! The last couple of years he’s got it pretty much spot on, just a size change maybe, but this year the only day he could get off to go out shopping he was suffering from this bad cold so I doubt if he was paying much attention!

Anyway, hope this wind and rain isn’t bothering any of you, I couldn’t get to sleep for ages last night as it was so windy and I always expect some sort of damage to be done that I might hear. Still blowing now as well so be careful out there as it seems to be affecting most of the country - hoping it’s not like this where you are Carole.

Nicky x

Community Champion

Hi Buddies, how are you all after the festivities? I love to watch the fireworks on tv too as quite amazing how they plan them all. We went to ed for the evening but left fairly soon after midnight as still recovering from Christmas and the wedding really. Lisa are you still eating left overs. How annoying when  people don't think so they know whether they will attend or not. Carole how was your Christmas and New Year? 

Nicky glad to hear you are out and about and busy, so nice to have this time when your days are more free and less needles, even better. I will keep everything crossed for you as always regarding the scan results. You haven't mentioned any difference since stopping chemo so that is surely a good sign and no reason to not enjoy this peaceful time plus grandson time. He must be doubling your happiness and smiles and you know the importance I place on them. Good luck.  Dratted colds. I am sure the colds this/last year are the longest lasting ones ever. My sore throat came back 4 times which is really annoying in my job as uncomfortable. Even more annoying when it hits over Christmas, poor you x. However, bingo crackers sound fun, must look out for them next year. Lol every year you take all the presents back. Why doesn't he make you choose or give vouchers? He must have realised he is not too good at picking things ha ha poor chap. We are less than a week from the first birthday and no-one knows what to buy him as he had so many xmas pressies. Then we will soon be coming up to our birthday spell and the 10th year. Wishing you all the very best for this coming year love Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Community Champion

Happy 2018 buddies.

A very long absence on my part due to just being busy, which is always a good reason.

Unfortunately OH managed to share his cold first with me, then I passed it on to little GS and I think YD now has it. Seems there’s a lot of it around as so many people have been saying they’ve had bad colds. So we started off the merry season with a meal at friends on the Friday (before Christmas) which was great fun as she’d provided some ‘bingo’ crackers so we enjoyed a laugh at that. Then a quiet day on Saturday and Sunday with me feeling a bit worse. Luckily we weren’t having our actual Christmas Day meal etc on 25th as YD was working ski managed to go to bed for a while in the afternoon whilst the rest of the family went out visiting relatives - apart from feeling pretty rubbish I didn’t want to spread my cold especially to OH’s parents who are a bit vulnerable at the moment. Managed to feel better later on and dosed myself up with medicine and paracetamol to enjoy the evening once YD was back from work. We had a nice time with ED, her OH and GS staying overnight. So our Christmas Day started for real on Boxing Day and we had a lovely time with all the usual food and wine. My parents joined us but luckily weren’t staying - I said we had Jesus syndrome - no room at the inn! This meant it was still relatively quiet the next day as well which suited us all as SIL was back at work as was YD. it was nice this year as OH took all the time off between Christmas and NY so we just had a few local walks and a few trips into the sales, mainly to do my annual present returns as he knows I’m always returning stuff! Yesterday was a trip up to London to a restaurant we had wanted to go to for ages and managed to book for lunch - we didn’t want to be in London when all the mayhem and crowds started. The meal was fab, just as we had hoped and we headed home around 4 and popped in to see ED and family once we got back home on the train before leaving them in peace and getting back to our house for a night chilling out. Saw in 2018 with the fireworks on tv and a glass of champagne 🍾 and then off to bed. Oh, forgot to say I had my CT scan in between Christmas and NY so the wait is on for results which I will try to not get anxious about until the actual appointment as there’s not much point stressing about it.

So my big catch up is done, hope you all had a wonderful time.

Nicky xx

Ps I’ve edited this as I forgot to say that the wedding sounded wonderful Lily, I knew it was near Christmas time so it must have added even more to a special time of the year for your family. Even if a chipmunk made an unplanned appearance!🐿

Community Champion

Happy new year buddies and here's to a healthy one.

lily can't wait to see some chipmunk and wedding snaps. My sign of a good wedding is always a full dance floor but boy do I ache afterwards lol

well I was totally spoilt and spend most of my break in pjs and sleeping so need to sort that before work on Thursday lol. Went out with friends last night but it went from 9 of us to 3 which is so annoying shoeshine when ide bought lots of stuff as starting at mine first. 

Hopemyouve all had had a lovely relaxing time filled with fun friends and family xxx diet commences on Thursday as I've hit m all time heaviest and nothing fits xxxx

xxx

Community Champion

Hi buddies, hope you had a lovely Christmas with lots of visits or phone calls and maybe some nice presents. Christmas was crazy here, so many people to lunch that we were literally sitting on anything high enough to reach one of 2 tables squashed in the dining room. Lots of fun but boy have I peeled a lot of spuds and the very horrible but compulsary brussels, yuk. The little ones all had a whole day together and they get on so well that its lovely to see them all grow up together. i always laugh at the bizarre presents that they find exciting when you might have spent a lot more on a present you thought they would like best! Boxing day was a little quiter with 12 less guests and diners than we had on Christmas day but still quite a bit to prepare. As usual the turkey went so quickly I was disappointed to not have more days to enjoy conjuring up dishes to eat it. 

Christmas was of course overshadowed by the wedding. We officially closed Christmas at the end of Boxing day and went into a few mad days making sure everything was in place. Ed looked absolutely stunning and the groom cried more than anyone else. I don't cry at happy events so most shots I am grinning like a chipmunk!! The day went perfectly and the venue and staff were very attentive to make everything go smoothly and as planned. A guest said to me that was the only one they had ever been to where they felt full up after the wedding breakfast. I was pleased to hear that as I like guests to go home full. I hardly slept that night due to severe cramp fropm over dancing, for a change. All the family love dancing except Victor and we even got him out of his seat for a while. Such a lovely, lovely day to remember. I can't wait to see all the photos. Well except those with a chipmunk in ha ha. We all met up again tonight for a takeaway and chat over the  day and demolished a lot of the chocolate wedding cake.  Well we have seen off the overseas guest too this evening, who added to the chaos this year and now I can have the house back to normal and calm down again. A bit of vegging out on the sofa watching tv is definitely needed.Well hope your holiday spell was enjoyable too. Love Lily xx

Community Champion

Hi all, here's wishing you all a merry Xmas and a healthy 2018 xxx I'm just making lemon posset and shortbread whilst consuming prosecco and not sure how they will turn out. At Mam and dads for lunch which will be a quiet one for a change but visiting family and kids in morning so that will be fun. 

Lily i get what you mean about the shops. I couldn't believe the date on the used by dates this year so I've done it last minute and I'll need major diet after this. Sounds like you've had your hands full to lol.

well bronchitis has eased off a bit and sunus jut starting but boy I'm tired. I was up till three am wrapping went to bed woke up at five and next thing I knew it was dinner time couldn't believe it ... and still tired.

well folks off for some more wrapping. Hope you have an amazing day. I've been a bit lacks on here of late due to being tired and lots of work issues but I really don't know what I wouldn't do without you all.

merry Xmas buddies xxxx

Community Champion

Happy Christmas to everyone. i hope you all get over your colds and other health issues to be able to enjoy a few days of too much food and nice presents. No the wedding is after Christmas so still on the build up. Its been very difficult to get things delivered that you could normally rely on. Victor suddenly remembered the white ribbons for the cars and luckily that has got here. I still have 2 Christmas presents missing, annoyingly. Almost all of our cards arrived today too. Not that so many people send them these days but I like to send cards to oldies who I don't see because they live furtehr away. otherwise you lose contact altogether. I have been wrapping some presents but still a lot left to do.

I had a big Tesco shop and was disappointed how many things were not delivered and so still had to go out in the manic supermarket this morninfor things we didn't have or that were sent to go out of date before Christmas day! I have been anjoying catching up on some oldies on the movies like Bridget Jones and today I watched Coyote Ugly and one of the Jurassic Park films. Victor came in and said are you watching this? I said yes I am. He said you aren't even in the room how can you be? I said I just come back in for my favourite bits ha ha! I love rewatching favourites but he can't stand watching them more than once. Well mum is being very difficult and I am frustrated as i have been putting myself out and lost count of how many people's presents I chose, bought, wrapped and delivered only to have that oldy give me another list of things to choose, buy, wrap and deliver back! I really didn't have spare time but twice took her to shops to buy every individual food item she wanted even though I am not eating there any days at all, then still got a moody reaction and made to feel I was a problem! Grrr. Right got that off my chest. Then visited another relative because she said she was lonely and she spent the whole time telling me she wished she was dead. What the heck is the matter with these old timers? I have no patience for self pity when you are lucky enough to reach such a ripe old age and still be able to make yourself a cup of tea and not have any money worries. My brother says they better mean it if anyone says it to him!!!  Anyway that's my depressing bit done so I can enjoy the little ones excitement at the parcel mountain and sacks and I will even enjoy the cooking and clearing up. Then a bit of a rest before our very special day. Love to all you buddies. I hope that 2018 is a kind year to you all and also to anyone else reading our posts.I saw a post that had been viewed over 900 times so dear friends i hope its a kind year for you too. Love Lily xxxx

Community Champion

Hi buddies

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas as I'm sure I won't get on here for a day or so.

I'm also suffering with a sore throat and a bit of a cough, seems lots of people have gone down with some sort of cold recently - let's hope we're all getting over things and able to enjoy our time with family and friends.

Lily, I would imagine the wedding is today? Or maybe yesterday?  Whichever it is, or if it's another date, I hope it goes beautifully and the whole family enjoy the celebration.

Nicky x

Community Champion

Hi all, my head is a shed lily, when is the wedding???

is everyone ready for Xmas? Can't believe the shops my head feet and back hurt after supermarket shopping today. Also hoping the last of my order should arrive tomorrow. I feel like I've been wrapping all week lol. 

Bronchitis is easing off at last but boy I'm exhausted and feel like someone has stuffed cotton wool into my head and ears lol.

Hope everyone has a lovely Xmas and some extra special treats xxxxx 

lots of love lisa x

Community Champion

Hi to everyone, old buddies and new.

I just want to wish you all a very Merry Christmas, enjoy your time with families and friends, watch the little ones opening pressies and generally have a great time.

Love to all, Carole xxx

Community Champion

Hi everyone. It is official there are not enough hours in each day!! I am running on full steam and little sleep and still feel like I am trading water. i think the 3 week cold slowed me up and now a lot of internet shopping is already saying it will arrive after Christmas. Work is crazy but such a lovely place to work at this time of year. Even the toughest cookies break out into a Christmas song or dance when you put the favourite songs on. Lots of goodwill around especially after the snow which they all loved. Some can hardly remember seeing enough to make a snowman and sing frozen haha. I got 2 days off work Smiley Happy although I had actually driven there before the message came out. Curses. The back bedroom is filling up and difficult to open the door so I must be over half way with my shopping. Of course the wedding is keeping us insanely excited too. I think someone might be pouring prosecco in my coffee I am so excited. Bridey has caught a stomach bug though and shed even more weight and gone a bit too low into the 7s. YD and I are sick with jealousy and want to know why thin people get thinner. Is it like the saying that rich people get richer? We didn't want the bug of course, or her to have it either but she is super gamorous like a model at the moment. I wish! My nicely flared dress and hold everything in pants are expected to do the impossible for me lol. I have been adjusting mini suits as the boys are in suits and waistcoats with little shorts and ties. You could eat them, they are so cute. Then our little pink in her princess dress and little white shoes with daisies all over the straps and her fairy wand!!! Well I think she will be the show stopper. We just ahd bher birthday too so another celebration this weekend and lots of early presents and Pepper Pig cake.

So my apologies for not writing more. Lisa I hope the cold is starting to shift but the one I had was very persistent and kept coming back, so take care and hopefully it will pass quicker. Carole how many days until the family get back? Keep yourself busy planning food and maybe making some things for the freezer. You used to do some lovely needlework too. Anything on the go at the moment? Nicky lovely to have the new bigger family all round this year. How many presents did you buy him??? I bet you went as crazy as I do. Has anyone seen the lovely puddings that are around this year? I am going to struggle to decide which to buy. I got my turkey today and froze it. Pigs in blankets, christmas pud and cakes, stuffing, etc all stored away so far. Have a nice week everyone love Lily xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi ladies and especially Carole, how is everyone doing?

I expect your days are still very empty at the moment Carole but I hope you will soon have YD and Mr P back with you as it's close to Christmas now.  That will help I'm sure with trying to move on since poor Heidi went to the big dog playground in the sky.  Let us know how things are when you want to, we're all thinking of you.

Lily - when does your school break up?  I have no idea about the dates this year for our county but suddenly the Mums/Dads and children stop walking past our windows in the mornings and I realise the holidays have begun!  Lisa, how are things at work still?  Are you looking for another job at the moment or just sitting it out until something comes your way - like the job your friend has just snagged!  

What is everone up to for Christmas this year?  We of course have our new grandson who is developing into a lovely cheeky chappy, full of laughs and smiles which is so sweet.  Obviously he won't know what it's all about this year but I think the twinkling lights on the tree could prove a bit of a distraction when he gets bored.  We are having Christmas at home but a day late as YD is having to work on Christmas Day - that's the restaurant business for you!  However it gives us an excuse to string it out for a couple of days rather than just one day and all it means is we've reversed the normal order of things for Chr Day and Boxing Day.  I think I have all the pressies sorted - now just the wrapping to be done, and finish the decorating indoors.  This hear I definitely have more energy, not being on chemo, and it's lovely not to be going to the hospital (pretty much every week on the last regime) and to try to forget the bloomin' C side of life - for a while at least.

Take care all - and welcome to optimissy who popped in to help Carole the other day - anyone is welcome - we just ramble on so feel free to join in.

Nicky x

Community Champion

Hi all, carole what a lovely photo xxx I know you will be totally lost xxx

m off to bed now, friend left work tonight after 15 years, we've worked together for last 2 been been good friends since she started so had a wee blurb but going to work at local hospice at home so what a fab job, head of income and marketing, bit jeleous lol.

well first day sick in years tomorrow from work but need a rest, thought my chest infection was back but worse as rattling and wheezing but turns out its bronchitis so got inhalerand no sleep lol xxx

night all xxx

Community Champion

Thanks for the welcome Peaock, My goodness, you have known each other a long time! I have had (and had put down) several  cats since I lost my lab and as you say, it is still so hard when the time comes, especially when i have tended to have the elderly/ill/unwanted ones that had a poor prognosis and have therefore had fewer years with me before the end. Promised myself "A kitten next time" as was fed up with those horrible trips to the vet, but then I heard about this 8 year old cat that needed a home......Smiley Happy Well she's now 14 and still fit and well (touch wood). I promised myself a lab when I retired and duly put myself on the waiting list for the Labrador Rescue, had my home visit and interview, and sat back to wait and then 6 weeks later got my bc diagnosis  so I put it all on hold till i knew what was what. Have recovered really well as I didn't need chemo, and really the only thing stopping me from going back on the list was the old "what if?" scenario, but that is daft, so now I've just had my first annual mammo that was clear so I need to get back in touch with the lab rescue. 

I tend not to follow a particular thread, I just try to reassure newbies who have a simlar diagnosis and treatment plan to mine, but felt so sad when i saw your post about Heidi and that there were no replies to it at that point, and remembering how I felt, so popped into your lovely thread.

If I should be lucky enough to get a middle-aged lab (reasoning that eveyone wants puppies, but older dogs are harder to re-home) I will post a pic. Can't post one of my old lady as I had her in the days before digital cameras! 

I suspect your cat will be missing Heidi, I think one of my cats at time, the one who used to shove her off her bed, was a bit confused for a while.

Thanks again. All the best. xxxxx

Community Champion

Hi Carole

What a lovely couple of photos and I'm sure you will have loads more of them to keep Heidi's memory alive. Take each day as it comes and at least soon you will have family back with you so you're not dealing with all of this on your own. Oh, and we're here of course 😊

Nicky xx

ps Jobey68 - are you following me ha ha? Noted another post on the secondaries forum giving advice then found you here! 😉

Community Champion

Carole I'm so sorry to hear you have lost your beloved dog, we lost our retriever at 9 and it's totally heart breaking , still cry for her now but it gets easier in time. We now have a bouncy 3 year old who we got soon after and it was totally the right thing to do especially as I was diagnosed with BC shortly afterwards , she really is our saving Grace! ❤️( her name is Gracie! )  Xx Jo

Community Champion

Hi everyone. Hi Op. Carole she looked adorable and such a big dog to hug and just her size will make you notice her loss more. i know you might not want to think about it for a while but I have always found that the best way for me every time was to have a new og to keep me busy. Do you think you could think about having another yet? I am going to ask Santa to bring you one. Hugs Lily xx

Community Champion

Thank you Optimissy  and welcome to our thread. She was lovely, her presence is missed as she was my companion every day for 9 years. Loyal and always here for me. The loss will get better I know, I've been through this with 2 other dogs and a couple of cats, rats and guinea pigs Smiley LOL I've had them all in one way or another. But, I think her loss is the worst. Like your lab, our cross lab loved cats and especially kittens. She adored and protected our last 🐈,  who is 3 1/2 now. They shared her bed together so I think he may be missing her too, but you never know with felines. They are quite different! Do you have any pets now? If you want to, and can tell us a bit about yourself, we would love to hear what your journey has been. No pressure, we are an easy bunch to chat with. We have known each other on this thread for 9 years now.

It has helped me to talk about her here,  I'm sorry if I have gone on too much. 

So, what are you all up to? Busy Christmas shopping girls.   I think I'm almost done now, just awaiting a couple of amazon deliveries.

Lily, when do you finish for Christmas?  I know it is always a difficult time as busy with plays, nativity especially,  discos etc.  Lisa, how are you spending Christmas?   Nicky do you go out for Christmas dinner or are you the chief cook this year? 

Thank goodness for WhatsApp so we can video link with our children and grandchildren in UK. It's not the same though and if things were how I wish we would all be together.😕😑😐😯

Have a nice weekend everyone xxxx

Community Champion

Oh what a beauty. My old girl was a black lab too - well, a lab-cross rescue in fact, -but looked mainly like a lab. She had her own bean-bag, but then would be forced to move when boss cat joined her and wriggled about till she was pushed off her own bed. Also a terrible thief re food, which i think is genetic with labs.

You must miss her so much. xxxxxx

Community Champion

20170818_094847 (2).jpgAnother one so you can see her beautiful face this was taken in September either just before or just after the seizures started

Community Champion

HeidiHere she is, silly girl. laying in one of the cat beds!

Thank you all, I know we've all loved and lost a loyal pet. Dogs are such an important part of everyday life with walking and needing a fuss.

Community Champion

Oh Carole, that is so sad and I'm sorry I wasn't there for you.  I know how it feels to lose one of our animal friends although a dog is more part of your life, and the way that you live it, than our lovely cats who passed away.  It is even worse I think when you have to make the actual decision although in your heart of hearts you will know it was the right one to take.  I have had to do it twice with elderly cats and it made me so sad even though I knew it was the right thing to do as they weren't going to make a recovery.  Remember the happy times you shared and take time to grieve, it is like losing your best friend so it affects us all.

Thinking of you

Nicky xx

Community Champion

Hi, oh no Carole that is so sad. I feel like Heidi has walked with us for a long time through our years of this illness. Obviously sent to look after you when everyone else was away. I think you are right about her health and that even if she had pulled through this time, she would have been straight into more and more serious fits and poor doggy not understanding what was happening to her. Lucky she had you, a kind owner to do the brave thing and put her first. What an empty hole they leave, our lovely pets. I am sorry I did not see this yesterday to reply sooner. Sending you big hugs. Love Lily xx

Community Champion

Thanks Lisa, I know you had to cope with the loss of your Robbie too. Lovely words, I've shared on FB. Xx

Community Champion

IMG_0307.PNG

Community Champion

Oh Carole, I'm totally lost for words, so sorry I wasn't on last night as ide been away. So much harder when you are on your own too. I know she will be a major loss to you, but I'm sure you knew it was the right thing to do for her to end her pain poor thing, but like you said doesn't end yours. Sending you the biggest hugs possible at this awful time xxxxxxx

Community Champion

Such a loss . You know you did the right thing, but it doesn't make it any easier does it? I'm crying right now for you and also for my old girl, even though it was over 20 years ago when I had to make the same decision as you, after she had had 16 good years. I still miss her. So sorry for how you are feeling right now. xxxx

Community Champion

Thank you Optimissy for your kind thoughts and words.

The vet came this morning to put her to sleep.   She was still un responsive and in a sort of coma.

I'm lost for words, just so devastated, she was my best friend, always here for me.  Her pain has finished and she is sleeping peacefully now.

My pain however...............

Community Champion

Oh Peacock I've just seen your post - how dreadful for you, and being on your own at this sad time is the pits. It is so sad to see pets suffering and having to make "that" decision about when the time has come. I do hope she is better tomorrow, but it sounds like you are prepared for that brave step that all pet owners have to make at some point. Really sorry you are facing this on your own, but hugs to you from someone who knows what this sort of situation is like. xxx

Community Champion

Hi Lisa hope the film and treats for the children were fun.sounds wonderful wish I could have joined you lol.

I spoke too soon...... during Friday/Saturday night Heidi had a small fit and yesterday seemed normal, happy, tail wagging etc.

I went to the dentist, shortly after I got back she had another fit, slightly worse.  An hour after that another fit, only this time it lasted for 1 hour 45 min,  during which time I was speaking to the vet and trying to find someone who could help me lift her to the car, at 27 kilos and a dog still fitting, I couldn't do it by myself. The neighbours were phoning around to try to find someone but no one was here. Eventually I managed to find someone and off we went to the vet. They set up drips, took blood and gave her phenol barbitol, valium and kept her hospitalised overnight.

I went to collect her this morning, and, since we have arrived home at 12.30 she has been comatose, or sleeping very deeply. She is too unawake to eat, drink, take her medications and the vet said she couldn't swallow so not to feed her. I've tried to give her valium, disolved in a tiny bit of water but I'm not sure that helped. I have rectal valium but can't work out how to open the glass vials. I am at a desperate stage, I may have to get her back to the vet tomorrow if I can't get her to drink as she will be dehydrating. She is incontinent so I have to mop that up, it's not her fault she doesn't know she is doing it. Fortunately she is in our utility room, so it doesn't really matter. We have a dog flap if she can get up to go out into a small fenced area, but she can't move, doesn't appear to be awake or aware of anything. So, at least she is not in pain. 

I am very sad, it's so awful to see and wish I had someone with me. I have questioned putting her to sleep, but, tomorrow she may be better and a bit more responsive. If not, I think her time has come. I question whether such a long fit has caused severe brain damage, and myself I think the seizures are a brain tumour, hence why none of the medications are working.

Sorry to be typing such a negative post, it's so hard, especially not having someone here to help and support.

Hope you all stayed warm today and was not affected by snow .  Love Carole xx

Community Champion

Hi everyone, how are you all getting on in this horrible weather. Unexpectedly we woke up to snow and a lot of it. Nobody could move in our road. We had 2 little boys staying so they were very excited but it took some planning to get them back to parents as we had to walk to where they could get to safely. The boys were thrilled to be out in it and pelted grandad with snowballs all the way there. Lucky nanna wasn't considered as much fun and had offered to film this instead ha ha. It was a bit of a nightmare as they are curous little people and we have presents everywhere so I said if you look at one I am throwing it away. They didn't. Well not as far as i am aware! Had a bit of time to do more internet shopping as I couldn't get to visit mum. Luckily my brother is trapped at hers so has to do the lot. Hmmm nice one. Hope you sorted the oven out Nicky, sp annoying not to have taken it out but most of the time they are useless. Did you enjoy having your little one round? How are you getting on with the tablets? Any side effects?

Lisa it must be a big shock Tenerife temperatures to minus figures, so wrap up warm or you will get the usual post holiday cold. Must have been lovely. How is work?

Carole fingers crossed doggy is ok for you. Well who needs the gym before Christmas? It would just get wasted with lovely foods around.Enjoy. Maybe you can visit your little GD in the spring which won't be long. 

Sorry I had internet trouble and Victor was away so I didn't know what to do to sort it out. Wifi worked though and I couldn't get my head round it. He was in Cornwall and the hotel told him he had to walk to the top of the hill and stand the other side of the church to be able to ring me on his mob, so he didn't. He said they had quite stormy/windy weather while there. Then I caught a bug while he was away. I managed to soldier on taking tablets but I had a bright red face for 2 days with a temperature and such a sore throat. I am on day 11 now and still coughing, headache almost every day and sinus playing up. Just wondering whether to take another tablet the chemist gave me as had rather bizarre reaction last night and wondered if the drug is related to the one I am not allowed to take now! Just like insects kept landing on me, then got all sweaty but just across my chest, then something odd with my foot.Bit itchy today all over.  I wonder whether I dreamt it or it happened lol.I've talked myself out of it reading that back, might try one in the day instead. Better go. Hugs Lily x

Community Champion

Hi all, as ever it's late when I log in and very tired, work is manic but I had a lovely break in Tenerife, it was 24 degrees so lovely warm break as opposed to the ice and snow on cars today. Well I will catch up on Sunday, off to Glasgow tomorrow it's the kids Xmas pressie from me, Harry Potter film with orchastrer and Xmas market and waffle parlour..... brrrh.... mind going to Scotland always remind me of our Val xxxx

well hope everyone is okay and I wanna catch up with gossip at the weekend xxxx

Community Champion

Hi girls

I apologise once again for not keeping up to date as often.   I just don't know where the time goes even though I am not working.   Doing simple housework takes me a couple of hours and after which I am exhausted.

My battery is about to die so just a quick one.

Nicky how did the sleepover go this time. Lucky you, am jealous our new GD is smiling and gurgling but i've only seen videos and photos so not the same.

Touching wood as I type Heidi has been ok for 2 1/2 weeks now so hopefully she is on the right medication, but as I am alone again who knows........... it always happens.

My gym sessions were cancelled as the machine has broken down. Not sure what is happening now but I might as well wait until after Christmas as nothing is likely to happen before.

Lily, you've been quiet hope everything is ok?   Tenerife looked nice and sunny Lisa, a bit different to your weather now I think lol.

Well better get on, have a good weekend everyone, love Carole xx

Community Champion

Hi all, I'm back but just off to bed, catch up tomorrow, congrats lily re mamo 

Community Champion

Hi ladies

Its always a busy time of the year for me, what with a lot of birthdays  towards the end of the year and then straight into Christmas shopping. I try to do that in stages rather than one huge trip (as I don't have the energy to trawl the shops for hours at a time) so my days get busy and I don't seem to get on here much. I have no idea how I fitted in regular hospital trips last year (and the year before, and the year before......)! Anyway good to hear that the mammon were clear Lily, no more squashed breast for a while! And Carole, it's good to hear a change in medications could be helping with the heart. I know they always check your thyroid activity when assessing atrial fibrillation as that can be one of the causes.  Hope you get on with the gym, it will be something that you might really enjoy getting out to do, especially at this time of the year when it's not always easy to get outside for excercise. I can't believe you had snow! We've just had either dull and mild weather to chilly and sunny so it's not been too bad so far. I can sympathise with the possible breakdown of kitchen appliances. I made a huge mistake earlier this year by not renewing the warranty on the combination microwave that is fitted in our kitchen. It was there from the beginning and although I wouldn't have chosen an integrafed one it has been so useful. Anyway, you guessed it the bloody thing has broken. This has been dragging on now for a few weeks with one incompetent 'repairer' ( I use the term very loosely!) whi was hopeless even though they were local and their online info showed they did repair this make of product. I then had to call out a fully authorised repairer who has now told me the spare parts are no longer made and I've now had to order a new one. Ouch they are so expensive, if I'd renewed the warranty I would have had a new one fitted if the old one couldn't be repaired. Not a happy bunny, and I've told OH that in no circumstances is this my Christmas present!

Ive also been seeing our lovely GS who is now at the smiley, laughing stage and for some reason he finds his grandma (I actually call myself glam-ma) very funny so I get lots of laughs and smiles from him. Just as well as he'll be having another sleepover with us next weekend when ED and her hubby have a night away for her birthday. All she actually wants is a good nights sleep - which is quite easy to arrange but very difficult to wrap ha ha.

Have a good week all

Nicky x

Community Champion

Great news Lily about mammos.

Did you have a good time in Tenerife Lisa, the pictures were good.

Glad you've been enjoying some treatment free time Nicky.

All quiet here. We had snow this weekend and it's been very cold. Heidi, touch wood, has been ok but Mr P is away again on Tuesday so we will see. It's bound to get worse because I'll be alone 😣 negative head on 🙄 and that is when things always happen. The dishwasher is making some strange noises so I expect that will be the next expense.

I start my gym sessions this week so hope to lose kilos!!! Palpitations are better, on new thyroxine now so that has probably helped. Plus also take a low dose of aspirin each day.

Take care girls xxx
Community Champion

Hi my 3 year mamos came back ok Smiley Happy

Community Champion

Hi everyone, how are you? Lisa I bet the sofa is in your lounge now and all the work finished. I hope you enjoy just being in it after a lot of stress and preparation. A holiday sounds just the thing. Lucky you.  Carole how is heidi getting on with the new medication? Hopefully more settled so you don't have to be on red alert too. How is your shopping getting on? i have done quite a bit online too as the partners of my kids all tend to respond to a what would you like for Chrostmas with a 'polite how much.' Followed by an exact image and shop site of what they would like. Saves a lot of time but people don't get the surprises these days do they? Less fun.

Wow I don't know if one of you is about to bounce this but one minute I was replying to Nick's last post and then I was back at page 1 and then reversed the other way! Very confusing.

Nicky thank you for posting! I think we have all slid into read and back to the sofa. Well a lot of good programmes plus cold weather makes it easy to watch tv and get comfy. Needle free sounds lovely and a well deserved rest from the vampires. I have had my mammos and its a 2 weeks wait so hopefully will hear next week some time. Ha ha I forgot you aren't keen on Christmas shopping but surely this year, it is much more fun? Bet you have been in the toy department a few times. Yes we have eds birthday too and now little pink in the same month. Then 2 of the boys early Jan so I double buy for those 4 each year. Gets very confusing at times. All i seem to have said to Victor this week is transfer £x to people to cover things they have seen and bought for me. First smiles lovely then the next thing teeth start arggh. I love the tiny baby stage myslef as you just have so few days when they are helpless and needy and really tiny. Well I love every stage actually except potty training. Yes the wedding is likely to be cold but it is all inside apart from a dash from the car to the venue so hopefully we can manage that without too much wrecked hair. I am trying to persuade md not to bother paying vast amounts for a summer date as its so unreliable in thsi country. Some add £10,000, quite ridiculous as no weather is ever certain. Its looking more likely that we will have another next year. The vaults are creaking at how often i am digging cash out of them. No chance of retiring at this rate. I must book a holiday before Victor realises this. He is busy working on another speech. He has more than his fair share to think of ha ha.

Lisa can I add my hopes too that the floods have not affected anyone you know. i remember when the bridge went and you had to drive miles and miles to get across.

Take care all and get shopping. Love Lily xxx 

Community Champion

Hi ladies, how is everyone?

I've just been so busy recently I've not had time to catch up on anything, and defitiely not had the time to login and therefore write anything, oops, must try harder.

Nothing to report other than just getting on with needle-free/hospital-free life which is why I've been so busy. That and getting on with the dreaded Christmas shopping, before it gets too manic in the shops. Plus ED has her birthday of course and now also checking out baby things for the first time in 25 years or so.  Little chap is getting on well and smiling and laughing away now which is so nice for the worn out parents.  I think a nurse friend of mine said that this all happens around 6 weeks or so for a reason!  All those sleepless nights and suddenly you are rewarded with a smile - if it didn't happen it would be such a slog. 

So, enough about me, how are you all doing?  Hoping the floods didn't affect you, or your family/friends Lisa.  I'm not sure exactly where they hit but was aware it was in your neck of the woods - or nearby at any rate.  We had a lot of strong winds for a couple of days and now have a spell of frost - or so they say.  Last night was pretty chilly as OH and I wandered down to our local pub for something to eat and all the cars on the way back had ice all over them.  Enjoy Tenerife Lisa - you lucky thing, a bit of sun at this time of the year is just what's needed, especially as you've said how bad work is at the moment.

Lily, your outfit sounds lovely and a good idea to have a choice of shoes. I did the same for EDs wedding and am glad I did as I don't think my feet would have survived. How exciting to have that to look forward to. We went to a friend's daughter's wedding a few years back in early december and it was so pretty with all the frost - but bloody freezing for the bride and bridesmaids!

Carole, I hope Heidi is not having any more fits and things have calmed down.  I don't want you to become more of a drug taking alcoholic that you mentioned ha ha. A tough time of the year `i expect for you as the nights close in and Mr P is away.  Is he off for Christmas? Hope he is and you can enjoy some time together, with YD as well if she is around.  We don't get to see much of YD these days with her long days at the restaurant but she is really enjoying herself and has definitely chosen her forte.  Where it takes her eventually, who knows, but she much prefers chef life to office life which is great. Unfortunately she does have to work on Christmas Day so we will have a delayed one this year and have our turkey on Boxing Day instead which we are all quite happy to do.

Well, that's me for now, have a good weekend.

Nicky xx

Community Champion

nice weekend. Lisa hope you feel better soon and the holiday will definitely cheer you up. You never take the easy route with decorating do you! I bet you are thrilled when it is all sone though. What colours and style have you picked? I still love my new bedroom every time I walk in the room and it does make me want to do more rooms but so expensive if you chuck everything. I only have to walk through a shop like Next home and I want to throw everything away and start on a new colour theme! Oh I am sorry work is grim. Is it staff going or new staff changing everything? Well remind me never to share with you either then lol. The sales of pjs must have hit an all time low ha ha. I think nudists scare me a bit. I really must complete my outfit now you have reminded me. It sa cream silk dress with floral sections on it. I think it looks like a vintage tea dress. really lovely fabric to wear, plain top and flared slightly as it goes through the skirt section. Jack Vert fancy jacket in a pale shade that changes according to what you wear. With the cream of the dress it looks very slighly peach. Its odd because the bag does the same and its sparkly but not bright shiny, more matt so it picks the colour up again. The personal shopper sorted jewellery out with a long string of pearls ties in a knot which apparently changes my body shape completely. Who knew this could happen ha ha. Maybe I should sleep in pearls Smiley Happy Again they have a hint of colour rather than traditional shade. I couldn't find any shoes in the right shade so have gold sandals with little straps that wrap around the ankle and a slightly square heel so i can walk sensibly. Then gold flatties for dancing. Still not sure whether to have hair up or down and ed has dared me to be indecisive on the day as the hairdresser has a lot of us to sort out. My hair is really long now so too many choices. I need to put it all on and ask the girls which looks best. I have a second and a third dress but trying not to get distracted by them. Christmas and the wedding all far too exciting in one week. Today md has come in and announced she has found her dream venue!! Then she siad she had time for another baby before the wedding, so no idea what they are all up to. How much fun is being young! Well better stop talking and see the end of jungle. Are you watching? Love Lily xx