Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desperate for advice please?

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Community Champion

Re: Desperate for advice please?

Hi Leonie - sorry for the delay, I've been moving house and also something happened to my BCC account and I couldn't access the forum or messages.

When I last posted, I forgot to say that my consultant does an ultrasound on my implant boob after I have a mammogram on my other side, but I don't know whether he can see through the implant or is just looking on top. I must ask again when I have it done next.

You are so right about there not being any guarantees with any particular choice, it's hard if we are given choices. But your team wouldn't give you a choice if one had high risks, you would be guided to one option.

All the very best to you, and do ask if I or anyone else can help you.

Evie xx

Highlighted

Hi Evie,

I was given choice of bilateral mastectomy with implants or lumpectomy. In the end I chose lumpectomy as two small areas of low grade dcis so surgery and nothing else envisaged. Surprise came when invasive on left side so now looking at rads and had further surgery to clear lymph nodes as SNB positive but rest clear fortunately. Waiting for that I had to face the possibility it has already spread and have begun to think mastectomy might be better as I don't like long term side effects of rads and for greater peace of mind. But implants are so unpredictable. Great if you don't have issues with them but more surgery/pain from complications is obviously a concern and how I would take to the feel of them in my body. If no choice I am quite pragmatic and would make myself ok about it but given the choice I didn't want to take the risk....until I read about long term effects of rads like fibrosis of boob, heart and lungs.  Great choice eh? Limited time again for decision but need to be sure as once rads done no option for implant reconstruction and I couldn't do an autologous  one......I have become very squeamish about things being done to me body having had two ops in four weeks.

Thanks for the insight....I couldn't feel lump they found in my left breast which made me doubt be ing ble to trust myself for diagnosis plus doesn't a lump means things are further along than what can be seen in mamm o or MR I or ultrasound. Then again things are missed or unseen on those.  The one recurring theme in BC is there are NO absolutes......whatever route you choose it seems to be luck as to whether or not it works out, you can't make a choice at any point that will give you guarantees and as a bit of a control freak I find that hard when it's m e that's on the line.

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Leonie68

You raise a good question, and one I keep asking my consultant just to be certain that I have heard correctly! I am not checked for recurrence on the chest wall. My consultant says any recurrence (should one occur) is likely to be in the skin on top of the implant, rather than underneath in the chest wall, so keep checking for lumps I can feel. I too thought they would use something to check the chest wall but I’ve been told no - I’d be interested to hear if anyone else with an implant on top of the muscle has the chest wall checked.

What type of implant have you had or are you planning to have? I’m happy to try to answer any further questions you might have.

Very best wishes to you, whatever stage you are at.

Evie xx

Highlighted

Hi Evie,

Can I ask how you are checked for recurrence on chest wall if implant is above muscle? My consultant said no mammo just 'patient symptoms i.e. Feeling a lump. I thought they would use MRIs or something.

Jen did you reposition the implant or get used to the sensation? Another 'new norm' they keep telling us about. A lady I spoke to on 'someone like me' said it took her a good year to get used to hers so it seems it does take time apparently.

Highlighted

Prayers. x

Highlighted
Community Champion

Thank you for your kind words. I wish you all the best for getting things sorted and do feel free to ask anything anytime.

Evie xxx

Highlighted

Evie thank you soooooo much.  I don't care what it looks like under clothes I just want to feel comfortable so your advice has really helped me.  Thank you for being so kind in responding and for your positiveness. 

All the best.

Jenny xxx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Jen

I had a mx and at the same time had an implant put in on top of the muscle. I'm not good with medical things/biology, but it was put in a sort of sling/bag thing called Braxon, that holds it and the sling eventually knits into your own muscles (I believe). I'm pleased with mine, I can exercise and move and I can't tell I have an implant. It doesn't match my real one, but under clothes you can't tell. I'm happy to answer any more questions.

Evie xx

Highlighted

Desperate for advice please?

Hi.  Following a mx last December I now have an expander which is really uncomfortable and I wonder if it is because it is under my muscle?  Does anyone know if it's possible to have an implant put in over the muscle (and the expander taken out!) or does that mean it will move around?  It makes me feel nauseous every time I need to tense my muscle.  Thank you.