cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exercise After Treatment

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: Exercise After Treatment

Hi all thanks for your comments. About a month after surgery (mx and anc) I went back to horse riding and archery. Surgery was Feb and in June I completed a 10k run, on 1st September I'm climbing Ben Nevis and in April next year I'm doing a half marathon.
Today I'm doing a horse back archery course. I'm so excited!!
Highlighted

Riversidedawn, like your motivation and good to read how quickly you came back.  

A terrific place to start exercise after treatment is to walk.  This is a great way to ease into getting cardio slipped into daily living.  Start low - walk for five minutes, turn around and walk back - there it is 10 minutes to start.  Do this once or twice a day and build from there.  Keeping active during chemo helps stave off deep-clif fatigue. Not everyone can do it, yet try. Again, walking is the place to start.  

If you have had full node clearance, start slow, particularly if using weights or hand balancing. if you've been diagnoses with lymphedema, wear your seleve for any activity (except swimming). If using weights, start very low and slowly, over time work up to higher weights.There are numerous videos to exercise to online:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4pY_qhSy2o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnO02bKMLkA

I've found exercise the fastest way to get back to feeling back on the beam with life and the feel good factor can't be beat.  

Highlighted

Hi, I was a fit gym bunny before diagnosis, doing regular combat, weights, swimming, yoga etc.

I returned to yoga 3 weeks after my mastectomy with implant reconstruction (basically as soon as I could drive) and continued yoga 5 times a week though out chemo. I had a break during rads as couldn't fit it in.
I think it really helped me to fee normal and grounded, a sense of purpose, routine etc and my surgeon was amazed by my range of movement.
I think much depends on what you did before and your recovery - I couldn't swim because the wound was very slow to heal.
Got a dog as I was made redundant so had time on my hands and that's a great distraction and excuse for exercise. X
Highlighted

I'd be interested in that too.  I'm still recovering from radiotherapy and don't want to do anyhting that involves jiggling until I feel comfortable again in a proper bra.  So far I have been sticking to walking - both short walks around the local area and longer hillwalks, but I don't feel that it burns all that much energy, and I've been putting on weight pretty steadily since I started chemo in February.  Being outside in the fresh air has been good. Thinking about starting a Pilates class to tighten up all the flab. 

Highlighted

Exercise After Treatment

Hi all. I'm.interrsted to know what people are doing to get back into exercise after finishing treatment. Do you find this harder than before?
X