Flaky scalp

Hi, I finished chemo on 23rd July and radiotherapy on 12th September and my hair is really coming in now…got a very short buzz cut length now…my scalp is very flaky though and quite paranoid about it ? I’m using a soft baby brush to get rid of the dead skin and using coconut oil every night…can anyone recommended a shampoo please?? Any advide is greatly appreciated 

Donna x

Donna, that sounds spot on what you are doing. I love the coconut oil, it’s like getting into bed with Malibu. ? Bet it itches, mine did ?. I used, and still do, Aveeno soft and gentle shampoo. Once it seemed bit better I bought the caffeine shampoo and hair growing combo from Boots. On Letrozole for two years and hair a bit thin and fragile so I do treat it with care. Never did I think I would spend so much on shampoo!! Hope this helps. X

Hi Donna

I had an incredibly flaky scalp, even using Simple shampoo which saw me through chemo and its continuing after-effects. Couldn’t stop scratching. Then I remembered my friend telling me that a woman she knew hadn’t washed her hair since chemo 5 years ago - her BC Nurse had said she wouldn’t need to. I thought it crazy but I’m now giving it a try. I gave myself one wash with Selsun, a very strong scalp shampoo which had always worked before, and then I left it. I’ve massaged my wet hair under the shower but used no shampoo, put the tiniest amount of Simple conditioner on the tips, rinsed as normal and patted it dry (I’m still chemo-curl short) and then just left it. It only gets a wetting in the shower now. Nearly three weeks on and I haven’t had a flake of dry scalp, there’s been no itching and my hair looks clean. People are saying how good it looks so it can’t look dirty.

I can’t say it’s the solution. I may find tomorrow it’s back to itching but there’s no harm trying it before resorting to the GP. Just a thought…

Jan