Flashbacks of treatment

Hi all, just after some advice.
I’m now 6 months post bc treatment. Had 2x mastectomy and implant recon in 2017, chemo in 2018, plus herceptin and now tamox.
I have been doing ok…but recently had a proper flashback of having my Hickman line fitted. Felt really scared, left me in tears. I’ve never been so scared. Should I be worried about this? Is this normal? I didn’t mean to think about it. I was in bed at the time and it just came into my mind.
For context I’ve had a lot else going on in my personal life, with my ex partner leaving during my treatment and my dad dying 10 days before my chemo started.

My goodness, you’ve had a lot to cope with! I’m not surprised you’re having some problems. I don’t think it’s abnormal at all but I do think you should access some help either from your GP or BCN. Do you have a Maggie’s centre or a Haven near you? I read somewhere that up to 80% of breast cancer patients suffer from PTSD. Take care.

Hi Crazytimes. I think this type of thing is not uncommon. A friend of mine has been diagnosed with PTSD after her treatment finished. You should be able to access counsell8ng through your BCN. I have and it really helps. Good luck xxx

Thankyou so much for the comments and reassurances…its really helping to read these xx

Hi,

Sorry to hear you’ve had a rubbish time. I had a mx 2 years ago and have had times having bad dreams which were effectively flashbacks to surgery. I’m very lucky to have a very supportive GP and consultant and I talked it through with both of them. My consultant recently took me back through everything that happened from diagnosis through to the surgery and then we physically walked back to the ward and had a look into theatre too. Everything for me happened so fast and I didn’t take it all in at the time so talking it all through slow time and physically walking it through in a calm way at my pace has really helped.

From what I understand it’s ‘normal’ and ‘ok’ as much as its really rubbish! But definitley talk it through with someone, GP or BCN are a good place to start. I find it really hard asking for help but there is lots of support out there in lots of different forms and its about finding the right route for you.

Wishing you all the best x