cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GRRR....Prosthetics Nurse

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: GRRR....Prosthetics Nurse

Thanks so much Chick 🐣, helpful to hear about the various options. I would like to find one made from something other than silicone type material, that makes me sweat horribly. I’ll call my hospital first and see what they have, but may look around at other options.

All the best to you, hope you have managed to put that experience behind you.

Evie xx

Highlighted

Hello Evie, 

Thanks for your continued support Evie.  

As far as I recall, I was also told 2 years unless your circumstances/size has changed then you can ask for a reassessment.  I just rang them up and made my own appointment due to size change.  I would not have minded paying for a replacement but unfortunately there are no places locally other than the clinic I went to where you can try different things at the same time. 

Anyway,  I might just stick with the softee for now or create something like I did initially.   I have also sent off for an ordinary and an Aqua type knitted knocker ☺ .  What a fabulous Service all you kind knitters.   Through BCC,  I came across a Service that can make customised breast forms but these probably cost a few thousand pounds.  Well,  why not for anyone who can afford.   Might just leave that one for now though.  

Take care Evie, 

Chick 🐣 x

Highlighted

Hi Chick - I’m so sorry you had a bad experience at the prosthetics clinic, sending you a big hug 🤗. Why do mean women work in such places when what they need to have empathy skills and patience? 😡 I admire your composure in keeping your cool until you got out of sight, and the fact that you are already making plans to go to an alternative clinic and haven’t given up on your plan to get a better fit prosthetic.

I saw on another chat that you had done really well in losing weight - brilliant, well done to you. 

Do you know how long prosthetics are supposed to last? I have a partial one to even things up and I think I was told I could get a replacement after 2 years - mine is not in a good shape!!

Hugs, Evie xx

Highlighted

GRRR....Prosthetics Nurse

Hello all,

Just need space to have a rant.  I have managed to lose some weight recently - the downside to this is so has my uni-boob.  With every door that opens, another slams in your face. Unfortunately, no one has designed an inflatable prosthetic boob as far as I know.  In all the time since having my boob amputated, even when I had to initially make my own prosthetic, I have felt confident with my outer boob appearance. On this occasion of losing weight, I have noticed a noticeable difference and it was beginning to affect me.  Hence, I booked another appointment at the Prosthetics Clinic thinking maybe I just needed to go down a size.  I was actually quite looking forward to seeing if there may be something more apt available, especially as I have some occasions coming up and wanted to feel confident again  wearing some more fitted items.

Well as far as I am concerned what a waste of time.  I unfortunately saw a nurse (who I have met before and thought she was a cold fish then) who really seems to have any notion of empathy removed from her body.  To cut a long story short, it all seemed like a lot of trouble to her and she just did not get it and how things may affect people. That going back to somewhere like that or struggling finding symmetry sizes might just raise up feelings.  Anyway after trying a couple, I lost patience with the her and the situation.   I felt I was being rushed into deciding and that she had better things to do with her time.  Rather than venting my frustrations inappropriately at the time, I just said "I can't do with this", got dressed and walked out without saying anything else.  I then ended up a bit tearful, went into the nearest loo and had a vent consisting of a number of expletives and some noisy walking stick throwing.  I will also feedback my thoughts to the hospital in a more apt way. 

Anyway, I dug out my old "softees"   which actually seem a more apt size at the moment than my permanent one.  At least with the softees, I can remove and add filling as required.  I won't be using the Prosthetics Dept again at that hospital.  Fortunately I am in a position where I can use another NHS facility, and I can obviously use any non NHS facility. The trouble with private facilities is that they are hardly on every high street!  I don't mind paying for items myself especially if better fitting for me.  Hopefully the "customer service" will be better. 

Best Wishes to all,

Chick x