367067posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hair re-growth....not!

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Hair re-growth....not!

It's interesting that the Pharmacist is soo adamant that it's impossible for one brand to have different side effects to another.

I've read of many women seeking a particular brand of Tamoxifen say, and refusing any others, because they simply don't feel the same on another?!! Feel more of certain of the side effects with other brands! And I'm sure it's not Psychosomatic!

My lovely Mum, who didn't have cancer, but suffered severe thinning and hair loss from early menopause (33) onwards. Tried all sorts to no avail. Often wondered if certain of the hair dye brands may have caused it. Some brands are worse than others for reactions etc. But much of it definitely down to reduced hormone levels. Like you say Jaybro, she looked sooo much better when she allowed her hair to  go white in later years, rather than dying it. Looked the best it ever had, and suited her more too.

Lots of love,  Delly  xxxx   

Hi Jan

Many thanks for your reply. I never even considered that the Letrozole might have a part to play. I just thought it was solely the chemo. Interesting!

However I think you might have a point about hair loss not being so noticeable when hair is white. My hair (such as it is!) is coloured. Might have discussion with hairdresser when open again (!) , see what he thinks. Maybe revert back to grey/white.

Annoyingly I've plenty hair at sides and back but can I grow a fringe?........not a chance!

Thanks again

Susan

Hi Pollensa

It’s sh** isn’t it? Mine isn’t as bad as you describe but is definitely caused by the anastrozole I’m on. In fact, I would even narrow it down to particular brands but my pharmacist says it’s not scientifically possible for one brand to have different side-effects compared to other brands. May she never have breast cancer.

I have a home-cut fringe to conceal my male-pattern-baldness temples but there’s little I can do to conceal the thinning of the top. Fortunately my hair is white so it’s less obvious. I’m waiting for my vaccinations and the freedom to shop around pharmacies to go back to the brand I was on before this ‘disaster’ occurred.

Sorry I have no solutions. A friend has sent me a supply of Philip Kingsley products I’m about to experiment with. Coincidentally there’s an article in the paper today about the issue (though not cancer-related): https://inews.co.uk/news/long-reads/female-pattern-hair-loss-hairdresser-stressed-trauma-alopecia-82...

Hope you find a solution. Oddly, despite all this, I yearn for a decent hair cut!

All the best, Jan xx

Oh Pollensa - How upsetting it must be for you. Please don't ever think you are "moaning". It's very informative for us fellow women to hear of your problem, otherwise we don't always realise, don't hear about it, just "presume" a person's hair grows back. I've only ever heard of one other woman who's didn't. But then, it may be that similar women aren't on the Forum?

As you say, a constant daily reminder for you. Like looking at ourselves naked in the mirror when we only have one or no boobs, except you're clothed. We can choose NOT to look whilst naked, but NOT so easy when it's your hair, hey?

I sooo help Shi's recommendations help you. I'm really interested to hear, so will you keep coming back on to let us know, please? xxx

Shi - I remember Mishy so well. She was a real GEM of a woman.

Lots of love, Delly  xxxx

Community Champion
Community Champion

👍 please try when you are ready to give it a couple of weeks at least, if you google the extra dark Jamaican black castor oil you will read it can help 👍👍 it was a tip from a young lad who had started loosing his hair when I was in the wig shop he was buying more and he showed me picture of how his hair had been before he used it compared to what it was like 👍and the new shampoo bar from lush was a tip passed down the treads from a very beautiful thread member call mishy18 who looked after so many of us with her amazing big ❤️ 💕💕Shi xx

Hi Shi,

Many thanks for suggestion. Certainly not a combination I've used yet. I'm giving my hair a bit of rest at the moment, certainly cant get it cut or coloured! But I will certainly remember the products (already looked up on Amazon!)

Apparently the taxol drugs can have a negative effect on hair growth.

Thanks again

Pollensa

Community Champion
Community Champion

Pollensa ❤️ Don’t know if you have tried extra dark Jamaican black castor oil, rub on scalp leave for hour wash off with lush shampoo bar called new it’s like a red dot? Worked well for me when hair didn’t want to seem to grow back ❤️Just wanted to share with you so you could try if you have not already ❤️💕💕Shi xx

Hair re-growth....not!

This is really just a moan, nothing I can do to change things.

Finished treatment in December 2019 after 13 chemo sessions ( nasty time with doc, changed to weekly pac) and 28 rads. All along I was assured my hair would grow back. At the time I wasnt worried and my wig was rather fetching!

However my hair has NOT grown back properly and I've had to accept it never will. It's fine at sides and back but top is very thin and sparse. All the fancy shampoos, conditioners and treatments in the world aren't making a blind bit of difference.

Yes, I could wear my wig but it's not very comfortable and I dont want it anyway.

I appreciate it's a small price to pay for good health but every time I look in the mirror it's another reminder of the cancer.

Ah well....

Sorry to be a moan...

Pollensa