Has anyone had a LICAP or Tap Flap?

Hi, yesterday I was told by my surgeon that I will soon have a reconstruction procedure. He explained briefly what the operation entailed and it wasn’t until I came out that I realised he hadn’t told me what the procedure was called. My surgeon did say it was quite a new procedure which makes me think its a LICAP or Tap procedure, using the description he gave me. 

My surgeon is hoping to operate in July with another surgeon assisting and I’ll be meeting them a couple of weeks beforehand to go through the procedure in more detail. Obviously I am now keen to find out more about it and was wondering if anyone else has had it done, how long was you in hospital for? How was your recovery?

I wish I’d ask more questions at the time but my surgeon seemed very rushed and almost pushed me out of the room because he was running late. So any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you for any help you can provide x

Hi,

I’ve not had that procedure but was considering DIEP. The Consultants/BCN gave me these booklet, you can view online here macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/stories-and-media/booklets/understanding-breast-reconstruction

Hope this helps. Best wishes, Karen 

HI Sue,

I had a LICAP in April for 3cm er+ her2- IDC with 3/16 positive lymph nodes.  Happy to answer any questions. My op included full lymph node clearance.  I went home the following day.  Happy as can be with a long but neat scar under my armpit and breast - can’t believe how much the surgeon managed to do thru that one cut.  Came home with a drain in place for 5 days and felt a bit sorry for myself those first few days but that passed quickly. Took all the pain meds I was offered and try and keep up with all the arm exercises - should probably do more but getting good range of movement.  Went for walks from day 2 onwards, starting small.  Still a little swelling under the scar but its going down.  A little cording in abdomen but its no bother. Around the scar feels numb still.  Starting chemo in a few weeks followed by radiotherapy and tamoxifen. Hope that helps, feel free to ask any other questions. x

2 Likes

HI @SueDerbyshire  - I had a LICAP in February along with axillary node clearance.  I came home the same day. Took painkillers for the first few days but it was never painful as such, I took ibuprofen to help with the swelling.  I had my drain in for nearly 3 weeks - and being honest the drain was the worst part.   I was able to do all the exercises and have regained good arm movement. Was up and about the next day and went for small walks after a couple of days.     My scar healed really well and is very neat, I have started wearing a normal bra now and it is hidden beneath my bra so no concerns about trying to cover it up.

Hope you find some more info from the nurses about which op you are having. x