Joint and muscle pain

I have been on anastrazole since November last year, following wide local excision, sentinel node biopsy and 20 sessions of radiotherapy. I am experiencing joint and muscle pain and stiffness especially in my legs, hips and knees. I exercise most days, either walking, running or doing an exercise class. The pain/stiffness is worse in the morning when I get up and after sitting down for any length of time. Is there anything I can take or do to help as it is really debilitating and it really gets me down as I love to be active. Many thanks.

Hi rosem 

I’ve no answers. Just letting you know you’re not alone. I’m really struggling with this too. Some people have suggested changing brands (Accord is well tolerated and available via the big chains rather than the independent pharmacists). That might be worth trying. Currently I’ve stopped the anastrozole after discussion with my bemused oncologist, intending to restart with Accord when the pain’s gone. Unfortunately it’s just getting worse, which makes no sense, and the pharmacist has suggested my joint and muscle pain may be linked to the zoledronate treatments rather than the HT, in which case I’m scuppered. Meantime, I just about manage tai chi and find there is instant relief in a sauna, steam and spa pool session when I can get to the gym. Hang the pool - swimming makes my back ache. Unlike you, I’m not a fan of being active but being inactive makes things far worse, doesn’t it! Take care, Jan x

1 Like

Hi there

I am not sure that my aches and pains are linked to Tamoxifen entirely,  but I find a Salt bath helps, I bought a big bag on Amazon. 

Also I found several videos on You Tube that showed you how to arrange your pillows to support your aching bits and pieces.

I hope this helps, sending you much love Lauren x

Hi there

There are so many things we have to battle to stay cheery aren’t there xxx

I was on Tamoxifen for the most miserable 18 months of my recovery and they changed me to Letrizole in November 2017.  I suffered almost permanent pain in my joints and under my shoulder blades. Just miserable.  I find the brand Accord gives me the least trouble and 18 months on the pains are subsiding. I still have pains in my hands and legs when I wake up  - it takes me the length of my landing to stand up straight!! But with paracetamol they are manageable.  I noticed a big difference when I started taking Vitamin D and Calcium and Yin yoga and swimming really help too.

Hope yours reduce sooner rather than later as the drugs are very good at what they do - it’s just a pain with all the side effects xxx

Thanks for sharing your experiences, it is comforting to know that we are not alone.

I have been on Letrozole since March 22 and fell like a 90 year old!  Unfortunately I am sitting in work and anytime I move I have to unfurl myself slowly :frowning_face: Between the joint pain, weight gain & fatigue it is so hard to keep upbeat & I find it hard to describe the muscle pain so I don’t think those close to me realise the discomfort.

Thank goodness we are all here though and we get to welcome another new year!

Wishing you all good health for 2023 -  we are all amazing after all we have been through x