Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lymphedema after coronavirus

4 REPLIES 4
Tamm

Re: Lymphedema after coronavirus

Hi Ann

Thanks so much for the info re your exercises. I eventually went to see my GP on Friday because I didn’t know if it was covid, lifting or breast related. She told me to ring Breast Clinic straight away and I’m getting checked out on Monday. Have that heart in throat feeling. My diagnosis was on March 23 last year and I’m dreading the outcome next week. 

Take care yourself and hopefully you’re personal trainer will help out with your lymphodeama. 

Tam xx

Anniej
Community Champion

I was given a leaflet by my clinic with about a  gazillion exercises on it! Instead I took up swimming which helped a lot.....until lockdown. I have recently been accepted on the Marie Curie SafeFit course and have a personal tutor who is working with me on reducing my lymphodaema with a series of 5 gentle exercises. They are actually on the exercise sheets given, but just having to do 5 is so much more manageable. I do 5 head turns left and right, 5 chin drops, 5 shoulder rolls..forward and back, 5 Barbara Windsors... arms out breast out, 5 sky reaches. Check them out on your leaflet for the correct way to do them. Do not stress your muscles. After that I do a 5 minute walk and have been told to swing my arms to help the fluid drain as well. I have a compression sleeve which helps.....a lot, otherwise it is very achy. Mine was caused 2 years ago by enthusiastic gardening. I think it more than likely yours is due to lifting, as you mentioned. Life’s a bug**r isn’t it? Hope you get sorted. Best wishes. Ann x

Tamm

Hi Ann

Many thanks for the advice. Yes I don’t know if lifting my mum or covid has caused a flare up or if the pain is nothing to do with lymphodeama. The area around my boob and arm pit has that full feeling though.  I did see an NHS therapist last year but she didn’t recommend any particular exercises and suggested I gently massage for 10 minutes a day. I have the Breast Cancer Now exercise leaflet given to me after surgery but don’t do them every day. Do you have a different exercise regime or can you recommend some exercises you have found helpful?  I was discharged from the lymphodeama clinic but the orange peel skin on my breast has never cleared. 
Kind Regards 

Tam

Anniej
Community Champion

Well Tam, I think this is a niche problem you’re talking about, and a very nasty one at that. I’ve got lymphodaema in my arm and torso, and that’s enough without Covid ! Have you tried posting on the nurses section here? They’re excellent for advice and support. Do contact your BC nurse, and in the meantime get serious about your lymphodaema exercises to shift that fluid. Good luck. Ann x

Tamm

Lymphedema after coronavirus

Hi all

Has anyone experienced a flare up of lymphedema after contracting coronavirus? In week 2 of being diagnosed positive I experienced severe pain in my chest and upper back when deep breathing, on the same side as my surgery. I ended up in A&E because of concerns it could be a blood clot but was eventually told it was muscular/skeletal related. I thought this was possible because just before my positive covid test, I’d been caring for my elderly mum and thought I had pulled the area around my surgery. 

Nearly 3 weeks later though my back and surgery area are feeling worse  and I think my breast lymphedema has increased  because every morning I can see  marks on my boob created by the bed sheets. It’s the pain in my back that’s bothering me the most... it hurts to turn over in bed and lie on my back. 

I’m considering phoning my breast nurse with the anxiety that my TNBC has spread but just wondering if anyone else has experience of coronavirus creating pain around the area of surgery or it causing an increase in lymphedema (I’ve had it mildly in my breast since surgery last April)?