Muscle Tightening in reconstructed breasts

Hi Everyone 

I wondered if anyone has chest muscle tightening sensations in and around Breast implants. I had a double m/x in August 2018, the Tissue Expanders were removed in March 2019 and replaced with  Braxon implants, since that time I have had a lot of pain from what I would describe as muscle tightening.

The sensations are worse when it is cold when my breasts feel like they are in a vice, exercise definitely helps, I do yoga at home and weekly classes, and I have recently started swimming which felt weird at first as the muscles seem to clamp in the cold water, once I get going it eases off. 

I still do all my arm exercises everyday and a lot of walking as I find walking eases the pain, now the weather is starting to get colder I have noticed the clamping has started again, has anyone experienced this and any advice you could offer to help reduce it?

Thanks Polly

Hi @PollyB  

Sorry that you haven’t had a reply yet. You may find it helpful to speak to one of our breast care nurses on the free Helpline, 0808 800 6000. Alternatively you can ask one of our experts in the Ask Our Nurses area of the Forum and they can respond to you online.

Best wishes,
Shareena
Social Media Officer

Hi Polly, I had one side mx with immediate implant recon in 2014. I’m not sure exactly what surgery you had, but it was explained to me that mine involved having the muscle lifted from the chest wall so the implant can be slipped underneath and as well as taking many months to recover from this stretching I guess it means a muscle that started life tucked away under a nice warm breast is now on the outside and feeling the cold? I recognise your description of “clamping”, like a spasm, but I’m lucky that mine is no longer painful. I find keeping it warm with scarves etc makes a big difference, also wearing a bra with good support so the implant does not pull, and doing Pink Ribbon pilates. You seem to be already doing all you can like this and I’m sorry it is so painful for you. Sorry not to be much help, but I did not want to ignore your post. I hope it gets better for you over time. Mo x

I get something similar - I’ve got an expander under LD flap. I do CrossFit and weight movements that need LD work contract the implant the following day. I understand that this is an after effect - it does cause me some anxiety though as I get occasional pain