Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reconstructed right breast after diep flap considerably smaller

4 REPLIES 4
Angie1973

Re: Reconstructed right breast after diep flap considerably smaller

Hi Evie, 

Thank you so much for your reply, that sounds like a good option!  Really appreciate you letting me know all of that - v helpful! 

I have been to see my consultant and need to have a CT scan to see where the blood vessels are in the breast...if they are at the top, then that's low risk to have a small implant put in to add volume, if at the bottom, then it's high risk, so would need to look into the other option.....which could be taking some fat from the thigh and injecting it into the breast (would be a day case, so not too bad!)

Thanks again and hope you remain well. 

Best wishes, 

Angie X

Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi Angela (Angie1973) - I’ve just seen this thread and wanted to share my experience too, my solution is much the same as MolBlogger’s.

I had a mastectomy and reconstruction with an implant on my right side, but in my case my implant side has turned out bigger than my left non surgery side. I too was offered surgery on my left to make it bigger but I didn’t want any more surgery so I keep trying different options on my left side to even things up. I started with a partial prosthesis, that the hospital fitted for me. I then decided that was quite heavy and hot, so I’m experimenting with various lighter breast forms from Nicola Jane (Amoena also do some). Under clothes it’s hard to tell the difference. Like Mol said, I wasn’t keen on the prosthesis as it had a nipple shape, whereas I don’t have a nipple on my reconstructed side. 

Have you spoken to your hospital or breast care nurse to see what they offer? Ours is certainly not an uncommon problem.

I really hope you find a solution that makes you happy. It’s really important that you explore all options and find the right one for you - I’m very happy to chat some more if that helps at all.

Best wishes, Evie xx

Angie1973

Thank you, that's so helpful and I really appreciate you replying to me.

Sounds like you have the perfect solution 🙂 

Hope you are keeping well. 

Thanks again,

Angela 

MolBlogger

Hello! I had the same treatment after a local recurrence in 2019, and I'm now an E-cup on my non-surgery side and a C on the other (the surgical team were very proud that it was the largest reconstruction they'd ever done!). The only option on the table seems to be reduction on the non-surgery side, which I'm not interested in.

I use an M&S breast form on the surgery side, which enlarges it to an almost exact match. It means I'm restricted to post-surgery bras (well, it did mean that, but now I've discovered I can buy special pockets to sew in) but it works for me. I spend a little bit of time adjusting it to the right place first thing and then don't really think about it the rest of the day. The only thing I don't like is that the breast form has a nipple 🙄 which is visible through a thick T-shirt and a fleece on top. 

Mol

Angie1973

Reconstructed right breast after diep flap considerably smaller

Hello! 

Posting to see if anyone has had a similar experience and if so, what their options were please.

I had a mastectomy with immediate reconstruction (diep flap) a year ago.  My reconstructed breast (on the right) has completely settled now and it is considerably smaller than my left one. I did not have any radiotherapy (which I am told would have potentially affected it) just chemotherapy, which I finished last October.  I am very unhappy with how it looks, you can see whatever I am wearing (unless it's really, really baggy clothing) and I am very aware of it. 

I spoke to my surgeon about the disparity in the breasts, as ideally I want to make the right, reconstructed one larger.  He advised against an implant being put in and said it was risky, due to it being over scar tissue and it may affect the blood vessels, then I would have an even bigger problem.  

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced anything else similar and if they were able to enlarge their reconstructed breast, after a diep flap. The option that has been offered to me is to reduce the size of my original breast on the left, to match up with the reconstructed one on the right, which ultimately is not what I wanted, but if that is the only way to go, then so be it!

Any advice or feedback would be gratefully received - thank you very much. 

Angela