Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing my implant

7 REPLIES 7
catt57

Re: Removing my implant

Hello High2k,

I am sorry for what you are going through, what I can’t get around my head is that they gave you the implant before you had your radiotherapy treatment, as I was told by my consultant if my breast goes out of shape after my radiotherapy treatment I can have an implant put in but she said not until I have finished my treatment, as I had a lumpectomy , and surely your surgeon would of spoken to you about what could happen etc, also your cancer nurse could of sent you booklets out so you could understand your cancer and what could be done to try and help you to the best they can, I feel so sorry for you and to let it go on for 4 years that’s terrible, you need to demand to see a new consultant and ask questions why this error happened , etc I just don’t get it I’m sorry confused .... I’m so glad my surgeon went through everything with me and my full cancer team , did they explain any options to you about your surgery etc  I’m just gobsmacked thinking of you hunni take one step at a time but do write your thoughts down also chat to your DR/ GP about it.

Catt57 xxxx

Tili

Sorry pressed the wrong button, another senior moment ? Thinking Evie is right with her comment about Capsulor they go very hard and need replacing.

wishing you lots of luck with appointment, let’s us know how you are doing.

Tili 🙋🏼

Tili

High2K, 

I haven’t done very much, just trying to live with it, maybe not the answer, however did have a lots of problems, with a very bad infection, thinking Evie conment 

High2k

Hi Tili

Thanks for your reply. What did you do?

I'm due my 4 year check in with my consultant in a few weeks, so I'm going to bring it up then.

Take care.

Tili

Dear High 2K
I have also had LD reconstruction, almost 5 years ago, unfortunately its has been nothing but trouble for me, like you very uncomfortable most of the time. As for your consultant?? I think you deserve better, maybe a plastic surgeon ? you can always asked for a second opinion.

Wishing you lots of luck, feel sure you will make the right decision 

big hugs Tili 🙏🌈

Evie-S
Community Champion

@High2k - I’ve just seen your message after ShielaJ replied. I agree with her, it sounds as if you need to speak to a different consultant. Could you have the implant replaced? It sounds as if you have capsular contracture (I think that’s what it’s called), and can be caused by radiotherapy. If it’s causing discomfort you should have a chat with someone to explore the options. I wish you all the best. Evie xx

SheilaJ

You are NOT a princess, its about quality of life to which you have a right!

I am sorry I don't know anything about implants or reconstruction.  I had a full mastectomy on the left side and opted for no reconstruction at all - just wasn't for me.

Hopefully others will have experiences or thoughts to share.

But my last thought is - can you get an opinion from a different oncologist, if you don't like the one you have?

High2k

Removing my implant

I had a LD reconstruction in 2017 and was told at the time that I needed an implant too to match the other breast. At the time they didn't think I'd need radiotherapy, but it transpired that I did.

The result is a wonky and increasingly uncomfortable breast. I can't lie on my right side in bed, and certainly not on my stomach. It's as hard as a brick and I get frequent shooting pain.

My instinct is to have it removed  but I feel like a princess to go back after all this time when I am otherwise fit and healthy and still able to run, cycle and swim, despite the discomfort. My life has been saved after all, and I can cope with the brick-boob as an unfortunate price to pay. My consultant is not the warmest of characters and I fear his reaction too!

Has anyone else had implants removed, and what would the alternatives be? The diep sounds a bit drastic to me, and I have a friend who had this done and has had the most horrific problems ever since.