328258posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silicone in lymph nodes

24 REPLIES 24

Re: Silicone in lymph nodes

I've had the same. Pip implants industrial grade silicone which is more toxic. Had them removed n 2016

I have lumps on my lymph nodes. 

I don't want my lymph nodes removed. 

I went into early menopause because of this  I get hot flushes regularly

I worry silicone may be on my lungs. 

Please keep in touch and let me know if you have any symptoms. 

I'm looking at ways to try and break down the lumps naturally 

Love and best wishes X 

It's very much a personal thing, but my reconstruction with the implant definitely doesn't feel natural. The closest sensation I can describe is - you know how if you put on a sweater over a blouse and the sleeve sometimes gets slightly twisted so it feels just odd? For me it's like that. A little tight but not restrictive. In terms of appearance, it actually looks more pert and youthful than the real one (if you can ignore the scarring). But that makes it sit a little higher, so unless I am wearing a really good, brand new bra, I look lop sided. Clothes with diagonal patterns are flattering for that. One of my regrets is I can no longer ride or ski for fear of falling on it and damaging it. Husband is quite happy about that, he always worried about me doing these kind of sports anyway and to be fair, at my age I'm not sure how much longer I would have been doing them anyway.

The upsides of an implant are (again, for me) that the external prosthesis could get quite hot, you might have to avoid certain necklines, you might leave the house in a rush and forget it, and have to stuff one side of your bra with toilet tissue at work (yep, fortunately it was formal dress and a good suit jacket meant I got away with it) and you don't risk  it falling into a chest freezer while you are bending over the frozen peas in the supermarket, while you try to discretely stuff it back into your top while trying to convince the assistant that you aren't actually shoplifting. Yep, that too.

I think, in the same position, I would still elect to have the reconstruction (not the PIP and silicone leakage obviously).

Hope my insight helps. Good luck!

Hello ladies,

I have read this thread with interest as I had to decide between bilateral lumpectomy or mastectomies with implant reconstruction. I was veering towards mastectomy but my consultant underlined outcomes were the same for both. That along with possible infections (I can't even wear cheap earrings  as my ears and neck swell up in reaction so God knows what my body would do to implants ) and capsular contracture I decided on lumpectomies. When they work the implants they do these days look great but I didn't want to take on the extra risks. I never even thought about silicon leakage as I assumed that was only an issue with the PIP ones which aren't used now.

My original diagnosis was low grade DCIS but it turned out to be invasive so now facing radiotherapy which has made me reconsider mastectomy.I

As you all have implants could you share how you have found them?

Do they feel like part of you once you get used to them?  I ask this as I had a very pro breast conservation BCN who said 'We aren't giving you a new breast, We are giving you a breast shape'.....not exactly inspiring but many women seem happy with them so long as they don't encounter issues.

Any insight you can give would be appreciated as I don't know anyone who has had it done.

Have you had any issues other than the silicon leakage? I hope you all get this rectified how you would like as you have been through enough without this.

Mine leaked into the nodes in my chest, behind the breast bone. To be honest I found my breast consultant quite dismissive and unsympathetic (I had been referred by my wonderful plastic surgery consultant). The breast consultant more or less said the lymph nodes had just done their job, mopping up stray material, and made me feel like I was wasting his time. Since then, to be fair, I haven't really been aware of any longer term effects. But please report back in after your appointment and let us know how you get on.

Praying for all of you

My heart goes out to everyone in this forum. If there’s anything I can do to help...please reach out to me. Blessings, Laura Ann

Hi 

I had the implants removed plus 2 lymph nodes from my breast. I had lots of this stuff inside. 

In spite of still having my lymph nodes big I’m feeling much better and getting my life back.

never again this **bleep** in my life! 

The pain I went through - I wouldn’t wish to my worst enemy if had one.

thank you life for being back.

Kasia

I have an appt with my GP this morning. I have had them in for 29yrs !

I don't know but I'd speak to your oncologist to get some reassurance.

I am a new member, hi everyone.

i have just learned that my silicone breast implants have ruptured, but it is not expected that the silicone has gone into my lymph nodes. The rupture was confirmed by ct scan but I am waiting for an mri scan to confirm if the silicone is intracapsular.

however I have just this week developed a huge itchy raised rash, it seems to be moving around my torso over the last few days. It’s not on my face neck arms or legs!

But it is always on the front of my armpit over the edge of my implant on both sides.

my core body temperature is extremely high although it does not seem to register that way on a thermometer ? 

Could it be that the silicone has leaked into the lymph nodes in my armpit which may be causing the extensive torso rash.

its driving me mad as nothing relieves it. it is there all the time in various guises ?

can anyone tell me if it may be linked to the rupture.

Joanne 

Yes I think if the lymphs don't cause the issue you could leave them.

I have silicon possibly in 5 of them but the one is quite huge and painful. It is like a ball under my armpit.

I don't want to remove all of them - just the big one. At least the doctor says that. Ideally I would love 

the silicone to dissapear completely by itself. I am praying for that !

Kasia 

Thanks Kasia. My affected nodes are in the middle of my chest (who knew lymph nodes were even there) so he would have to break my breast bone to get them. That's my plastic surgeon, the breast unit consultant was pretty unsympathetic . He said basically that the lymph nodes had done their job, mopping up stray nasties, so just get on with it. Good luck for your surgery next week,

Jo x

Hi Joanne

ok well the doctor says to remove the capsules ( like he couldn’t remove it at first !) , the big lymph node - under my armpit - not the chest and the 2 lumps I have just below the armpit on the right side of my chest.

the MRI results will come tomorrow.

The thing is - I feel good. I mean - absolutely no issues apart from the right side - I feel that lump and don’t overuse my right arm.

I am a climber and seriously I’ve had enough but I’m patient. 

I don’t want any more implants in my life and I’m happy as I am now without the implants. 

My breast implants weren’t big anyway and I’m really not happy it caused such a problem.

I will let you know on Wednesday as my next surgery is due next week. 

Kasia 

AG

Hi, I just found out that I have silicone on both sides in my armpits as well as chest. My implants were ruptured last year but no solicon was picked up on any of my scans and I was told it was intracupsular rupture which means it was still within fhe silicon wall. 1 year laterI am told silicone is in my lymph nodes and chest. I am confused and worried.

i had breast cancer in 2014 and I am worried that it can be cancer in the nodes. I am waiting for my surgeon to call me this week. Do you knkw if the ultra sound is acurate to tell if it is cancer or silicone? 

Kasia, are the affected lymph nodes in your arm or chest? I was told mine are in my chest and it's a very difficult procedure so I'd be interested to hear how they will remove yours if that's where they are too.

Hi 

so you have been living with the silicon in your lymph nodes for 4 years ?? 

I have such a situation but I’m having an MRI scan next week and I’m thinking of having the lymph node removed. 

Hi 

I am in the same situation. 

But the doctor is waiting now till the inflammation goes away and we will decide.

I want to have a surgery that will remove one lymph node - the largest one only.

Highlighted

I am in a similar position. I had pip implants replaced in may 2018 which had leaked into my lymph nodes, and since Nov 2018 have had arm and shoulder pain. Now one of my lymph nodes is tender and painful. My GP has recommended physio but I am going to go back to my surgeon. Very concerned.

hi I hope you don't mind me commenting on this post I to have had a ruptured implant which leaked into my lymph nodes about 4 yrs ago.
I only found out because I had a lump under my arm so was sent for a scan.
I have since had the implant replaced and was told the lymph node would only be removed if it was causing a problem.
Just recently I 've had it rescanned because it's became very tender and I though it felt hard and now i am getting pain in my arm but I have been told by the doctor that it can't be any thing to do with the lump I don't know what to do?
Do I go but to the surgeon? I can't find any symptoms that you may get from this.

I have been informed it is to late

Hi my name is Marie I had pip implants 16 years ago and did not know until a car accident led to a rupture of both implants. Since this time I have had pain in breast and a scan revealed silicon in lymph nodes and breast tissue I am frightened about the side effects and worry about cancer. I have been advised that it is to late to seek compensation I did not even know I had pip until accident!

Thanks for that information Alice. May I ask how they tested and confirmed it was silicone? My consultant believes that's what has caused my lymph nodes to be enlarged but says a biopsy would be a very difficult procedure.

Joanne, I had PIP implants around Sept 2007. Towards the end of 2011 a rupture was diagnosed including a ball of silicone in my left armpit.
Towards the end of 2015 I had pain in the left breast again and a check showed silicone in the lymph glands. In January 2016 I was poorly with something like flu, and from March onwards I have suffered with a lot of pain/fatigue. After much investigation (it was attributed to an injury I had), I have now been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, which is, it transpires, a risk from silicone in your system.
I am trying to find information out about it all
Community Champion

Hi Joanne, just wanted to welcome you and say hello

Am not aware of any british furore just now...tho that dorsnt mean its not happening.

so sorry about your implant!

i did have one 16 yrars ago and kept getting infections...not sure if it was your kind of implant tho. Anyway ended up with lymphoedema...but prob from the infections.

its really disappointing isnt it when things fail after you built up your hopesxx 

best wishesxx

Moijan💚💚💚

Hi JoanneF,

Thank you for sharing your story. I am sure some of our users will be along to share their experiences with PIP implants and show their support soon. 

In the meantime you can always post on our Ask the Nurse board or call our helpline on 0808 800 6000, who will be able to talk you through any questions you have and offer a friendly ear. The opening hours are below:

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Late opening Wednesday, 9am-7pm
Saturday, 9am-1pm

Best wishes, 

Bonita 

Silicone in lymph nodes

Apologies if this has already been covered but my searches on the forum haven't brought up anything recent.

I had a PIP implant which ruptured and last year a scan showed the lymph nodes in my chest to be enlarged. My consultant thinks this may be because silicone has leaked into them. Because of the position be hung my breast bone, a biopsy to confirm the cause is considered difficult.

Has anyone else experienced this? Do we know what the on going implications are?

On a separate but related matter, in Germany a number of women were compensated last month for failed PIP implants. Is anyone in the UK pursuing any action against the manufacturer's liability insurers?