Silicone in lymph nodes

Apologies if this has already been covered but my searches on the forum haven’t brought up anything recent.

I had a PIP implant which ruptured and last year a scan showed the lymph nodes in my chest to be enlarged. My consultant thinks this may be because silicone has leaked into them. Because of the position be hung my breast bone, a biopsy to confirm the cause is considered difficult.

Has anyone else experienced this? Do we know what the on going implications are?

On a separate but related matter, in Germany a number of women were compensated last month for failed PIP implants. Is anyone in the UK pursuing any action against the manufacturer’s liability insurers?

Hi JoanneF,

Thank you for sharing your story. I am sure some of our users will be along to share their experiences with PIP implants and show their support soon. 

In the meantime you can always post on our Ask the Nurse board or call our helpline on 0808 800 6000, who will be able to talk you through any questions you have and offer a friendly ear. The opening hours are below:

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Late opening Wednesday, 9am-7pm
Saturday, 9am-1pm

Best wishes, 

Bonita 

Hi Joanne, just wanted to welcome you and say hello

Am not aware of any british furore just now…tho that dorsnt mean its not happening.

so sorry about your implant!

i did have one 16 yrars ago and kept getting infections…not sure if it was your kind of implant tho. Anyway ended up with lymphoedema…but prob from the infections.

its really disappointing isnt it when things fail after you built up your hopesxx 

best wishesxx

Moijan???

Joanne, I had PIP implants around Sept 2007. Towards the end of 2011 a rupture was diagnosed including a ball of silicone in my left armpit.
Towards the end of 2015 I had pain in the left breast again and a check showed silicone in the lymph glands. In January 2016 I was poorly with something like flu, and from March onwards I have suffered with a lot of pain/fatigue. After much investigation (it was attributed to an injury I had), I have now been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, which is, it transpires, a risk from silicone in your system.
I am trying to find information out about it all

Thanks for that information Alice. May I ask how they tested and confirmed it was silicone? My consultant believes that’s what has caused my lymph nodes to be enlarged but says a biopsy would be a very difficult procedure.

Hi my name is Marie I had pip implants 16 years ago and did not know until a car accident led to a rupture of both implants. Since this time I have had pain in breast and a scan revealed silicon in lymph nodes and breast tissue I am frightened about the side effects and worry about cancer. I have been advised that it is to late to seek compensation I did not even know I had pip until accident!

I have been informed it is to late

hi I hope you don’t mind me commenting on this post I to have had a ruptured implant which leaked into my lymph nodes about 4 yrs ago.
I only found out because I had a lump under my arm so was sent for a scan.
I have since had the implant replaced and was told the lymph node would only be removed if it was causing a problem.
Just recently I 've had it rescanned because it’s became very tender and I though it felt hard and now i am getting pain in my arm but I have been told by the doctor that it can’t be any thing to do with the lump I don’t know what to do?
Do I go but to the surgeon? I can’t find any symptoms that you may get from this.

My heart goes out to everyone in this forum. If there’s anything I can do to help…please reach out to me. Blessings, Laura Ann