Tamoxifen - post 10 years

Hello,  I have just completed 10 years on Tamoxifen YAY!   I haven’t had any notice from the GP or Oncology about stopping and wonder if anyone else has any info…do we just stop at the 10 year point…are we supposed to be ‘weaned’ off it - will there be any side affects?  Do you get a check up or final appointment at all?

Hi Janet4b,

I’m sorry you haven’t had a response to your post, I’m hoping my post will help our members find it and offer their advice.

Alternatively, If you would like to talk about any concerns or worries our clinical experts and nurses  are at the end of the phone on our free helpline 0808 800 6000, open Monday to Friday from 9am to 4pm and Saturdays from 9am to 1pm.

Best wishes,

Bridie 

Breast Cancer Care 

Hi Janet4b

I’m sorry I can’t help you with regard to your question, as my breast cancer was HER2+, ER and PR negative so I’m not on Tamoxifen.  However, I would like to congratulate you on completing 10 years…!  WOW, I know how I felt after a year of Herceptin injections came to an end - it’s a strange feeling indeed - hopefully, someone will come along and be able to reply to your question, otherwise it may be worth a call/visit to your GP.  

Anyhow, well done on reaching the 10 year goal!  Perhaps it’s time to have a quiet celebration… x

Hi. I’ve just stopped tamoxifen after 10 years. At my last appointment with my oncologist he said I could just stop when the time was appropriate,  no need to ween myself off but I didn’t like the thought of doing that, 10 years is a long time to be on a drug. I started 2 months before my finishing date by missing 1 day for a week then missing 2 days for 2 weeks etc til I finished my last prescription. I’ve stopped now for 3 weeks. Way too early to tell how I feel but I’m not sleeping as well as I used to. Well done on achieving 10 years. It’s been hard going but we’re still here and looking forward to a long and healthy life !!