74.3K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tightness around chest after bi lateral mastectomy ??

66 REPLIES 66
Bella Skye

Re: Tightness around chest after bi lateral mastectomy ??

Hi, it's good to know that other people are having the same experience. I have my appointment this Friday and I'll share with information I get.

oldgirl

PS I have just found an interesting article: https://www.dynamicchiropractic.com/mpacms/dc/article.php?id=46541 It describes what they describe as “barrier release” for the pain we have. 

oldgirl

Hello Bella,  you have just described how I’ve felt from day 1. It’s been 5 months now and nothing has helped: massage, exercise, swimming etc.  The hospital has been wonderful and I’ve been to physio, the Pain clinic, who’ve referred me for acupuncture and I’m seeing someone else for Scarwork. I spoke to someone from the surgical team last week who explained about the millions of nerves not knowing where to go, which was interesting but doesn’t help. I’m also going to try myo fascial release, which has been recommended on this forum. I won’t give up! If you find something that works please let us know. It’s so helpful to be in touch with fellow siufferers!

Bella Skye

I'll try the aspercreme.

At this point I feel like my chest is welded to my bones. It feels like I have a plaster cast on. I'm afraid that the scar tissue has gotten to the point where it has a fixed to my muscles and or bones. I stretch literally all day everyday and I rub my chest as well nothing is working. My doctor's appointment is not until next week.

Is this how your tightness feels?

Thx

ScoutKent

Oddly enough, I have found that Aspercreme helps quite a bit with the feeling of tightness, even though it doesn't feel 'sore.' I'm guessing it just helps with they hyper-sensitivity, and also that some of the feeling of wearing a band/belt is caused by my body misinterpreting sensations. Not sure, but it is by far the most helpful thing to date. 

I'm 2 months out from double mastectomy. I just slather it all over (not on incision). 

My biceps were painfully tight, and my massage gun helped a lot with that. I am just starting to barely use it on the areas around my incision and under my arms, like just beyond where I feel the tightness and not so much straight on it. It can be painful on even 'regular' tight muscles, so I'm being super cautious and moving slowly. 

oldgirl

Thanks Annie. How frightening to think that “this is as good as it gets”! It’s disabling. So hard to believe that nothing will help. Am considering trying miyo fascial release as one member of this forum found it helped. 
everyone is so helpful - just to know somebody else has experienced or is experiencing the same thing makes it more bearable somehow. But I will keep trying to find a solution. 

Annie63

Sorry to hear how difficult it is for you both. I had a single mastectomy in June and have been religiously doing physio, yoga and massage. My mobility has improved immensely and the tightness has reduced but has not gone away. I was told that by 4-6 months it would probably be as good as it’ll be. During the day I find wearing a bra, so I can use a silicon prosthesis, helps. The tightness of the bra I think is distracting and the gentle pressure of the prosthesis comforting. 
I hope you can both find something that works for you both physically and emotionally.

Good luck.

Annie

oldgirl

I have exactly the same. It’s driving me nuts. I’ve had physio, which was mostly massage, and now I’m having Scarwork at the hospital. I’ve had two sessions of acupuncture. I massage my chest twice a day and do exercise. Nothing helps. I’m researching miyo fascial release now as it’s my last hope. What else can we do? I’ve been to the pain clinic but was told it’ll get better. I spoke to someone via SomeoneLikeMe who also advised fascial release, as well as yoga. If you find anything else please keep in touch!

Bella Skye

Hello, 

I had a bilateral mastectomy in July. I've had extreme tightness all across my chest and under my arms since I got out of surgery. After surgery and for the 3 weeks that I had the bandages on, I thought that it was the bandages that were so tight. I couldn't wait to get them off. After the bandages came off I felt a little relief but not much. Since then, my tightness gets worse every day. I just started going to physical therapy. I feel like there is a belt tied as tight as possible around my chest up underneath my arms sitting high up on my breast bone. It calms down over night as I sleep. After I'm up during the day and before bed it's the worst. Anyone have the same experience? What have you done to help?

Annie63

Hi Lynne

Its a lot to adjust to but remember it’s very early days. I am 2 months ahead of you and the physio has helped enormously so hope your exercise do too. Recently saw a physio to add more exercises in as initial ones were becoming too easy. I massage my scar twice daily too and this helps with accepting my new body but also helping with the scar tissue 🤞🏼
Be gentle with yourself and take very good care.

Annie x

Lynne71

Hi, I had a single mastectomy in August and still adjusting to things. My chest wall has been extremely tight, in fact, affecting my breathing.  Just starting physio, so hoping it will make things a little better.

My scar is so much worse than I was expecting.  Arm mobility is also just coming back, can't wait to have a long soak in the bath! 

Hope you are also improving. 

Lynne Williams 

ali76

Hi I'm new to this forum,

I was diagnosed in October 21 with TNBC grade 3, I had 5mths of chemotherapy then a bilateral mastectomy on the 11th May 2022. I must admit the tightness around the chest was the worst. But now 4mth on the tightness has completely disappeared. I still have down days where I'm constantly checking for new lumps worrying the cancer is going to come back. What I wasn't prepared for after my surgery was the nerve pains feels like electric shocks and the 1st time I had them I was worried. 

I'm now back in work and doing ok, praying it continues.  Love and best wishes to all xx

oldgirl

Really? Exercise worked? How are you now? Did swimming help? Thanks. 

oldgirl

Hello, I know this is an old thread but has the tightness gone away?

Annie63

Hi Gail

When I read your post it made me think of a quote in the film “Shirley Valentine”, Costas says something about loving your scars, they show you’ve survived… that you are alive. I was pleased to see Jaybro shared similar sentiments. 
I do hope you come to accept, maybe not love, your body again. It’s got you here and you have more life to live. 
Good luck

Annie 💕

Jaybro

Hi Gail

I’m sorry to hear you feel so badly about your body. You are going to have to keep adapting I’m afraid - unless you are offered reconstruction or can afford corrective cosmetic surgery - because it is cosmetic now.

A BCN told me in exasperation (at the breast surgeon, not me) that a lot of the problem is because they perform the surgery with the patient not only flat on her back but with the arm raised. This stretches the skin but makes clean surgery with clear margins easer. The problem is, when the patient sits up again, the skin relaxes into its natural state, leaving many of us with what they call ‘dog ears’ - small bunches of flesh at each end of the scar - and wonky scars, especially if you’ve had FAC. I’m actually quite lucky - the central dog ear is so well-placed that it gives me a deceptive cleavage, handy with some garments. 

I was very squeamish about looking at my scar, let alone touching it, for a few weeks and then decided I had to learn to live with it. I now actually forget about it in a pool changing room - and I’m not going to hide away in a cubicle (if one were available) for fear of distressing anyone - this is a harsh fact of life people should accept. I have yet to notice anyone looking at me. I now refuse to wear my fortress bras and prosthesis - why should I suffer for fear of what people will think? I’ve got one boob, so what? I’ve got to the point where I can walk through a restaurant or whatever and only remember once I’m outside that I’m lopsided.

It will be hard but keep reminding yourself that that scar has saved your life. Keep pampering it, get to know how it all feels in case anything ever changes and reflect a bit. What is an ugly scar compared to life?? Sorry if that sounds preachy but it does get easier until you almost forget about it. Enjoy the Qi gong and yoga xx

oldgirl

Thanks Annie. I’m doing an exercise class at Maggie’s and am going to go to their Qigong and yoga too. I’ve seen the physio and breast nurse but they’re very non-commital - although lovely. 
The other thing I’m finding hard is looking at myself. I find the scars far worse than I’d been led to expect but and I do the twice daily massage it’s hard. Maybe this is quite normal but mine do seem excessively disfiguring with bumps and folds all over the place. Like a badly drawn contour map. 
Good luck with the bone scan.

Gail

Annie63

Hi Gail

Really sorry to hear how distressing the tight band across your chest is. Can you get in touch with your breast care team to tell them how you’re feeling?

Apart from the BCN physio exercises I’ve also started to do yoga stretches. It’s hard to tell whether tightness is reducing or I’m habituating to it but I do think it has improved a little. When I had my fitting for the NHS breast form nurse said tightness would continue to reduce. Sadly nobody knows how long it’ll take.

Bone scan results are in another couple of weeks. It was to give me a baseline for bine density and to know if I need to take calcium and vitamin d. 
Take care of yourself and do contact your team for more help, don’t be left alone with so much discomfort.

Annie 💕

oldgirl

Hello Annie,

How are you doing? I still have an unbearably tight band across my chest which I swear I'll tear out if nothing happens to improve it! Exercises aren't specific enough and I can't find anything on google - unless you count the threat of it being permanent...

How did your bone scan go?

Gail

Annie63

Hi Gail
I agree never through I’d be on a cancer forum! I’m on anastrozole for 5 years. Booked in for a baseline bone scan early next month.
It’s dawned on me too that we’re in it for the long haul. Some friends are surprised how much healing I’ve still to go and I suspect from other posts we are forever changed and will need to find ways to minimise the tightness etc. 

Take it slow and steady.

Annie x

oldgirl

Hello,  thanks for your reply. Gosh that’s not very good news. I’ll go nuts if I have live with this tightness! I’d be interested to know how you get on with swimming - the physio told me it was the best exercise. I’ll do it - but don’t look forward to it. Also I was told not to until my wound has completely healed. I’m aged so it may take longer!
Gail

oldgirl

Hello Annie, thank you for your reply. Yes I have a small “breast” (seratoma) under each arm but I’m told my body will re absorb them in time.

I think one of the difficult things to get used to is how long everything takes - the wound to heal and now this wretched tightness. It’s also beginning to become very clear I’m in for the long haul. 

May I ask what treatment you’re on? The cancer I had was oestrogen fed and I don’t need chemo because they got it but will have radiotherapy and I’m on Letrizol for 10 years. They’ve offered me bone infusions which I’m dithering about but after talking to a nurse friend may change my mind. 

I never wanted to have so many conversations about cancer! I hate that I have this need to know, but the doctors, quite rightly, leave the final decisions to us so we’re forced to focus on it more than is good for us! And it’s a lot to process. 

Thanks again for your reply. 
Gail

Annie63

Hi Gail, 

I had my mastectomy the day after your surgery. I’m very lucky as only on hormone treatment for 5 years now no chemo or radiotherapy needed. You might be right that I’m habituating to the tightness rather than it improving, who knows we’re all learning everyday. I thought I’d go back to swimming in due course too but only in the small pool so I can stand if I need to. Sorry to hear you feel you look a fright. I had a female surgeon and who has left me with a very neat scar. I hope you feel more comfortable with the scars soon as they continue to heal. I’ve still got some seroma in my armpit so good to hear it’ll be reabsorbed. I still feel it is all surreal having had my cancer picked up by a routine mammogram.

Look after yourself.

Annie 💕

Jaybro

Hi Gail

Sorry to be discouraging but I had my mastectomy and FAC in 2018 and I still need to massage my scar area daily as it tightens very easily. Nor did my seroma go away. It’s still there, making my numbed upper arm feel like there’s a thick paperback between arm and body! I did my exercises faithfully for months but I’m lax nowadays. Swimming definitely does help but it will be breast stroke for a while! I hope you’re luckier but it won’t just magically go away, I’m afraid. It needs constant nurturing xx

oldgirl

This is an old thread but I’m curious to know if this tightness ever went away? I’ve had it for 5 weeks and it feels so permanent. 

oldgirl

Hello Annie,

Thank you so much for your reply. I had the bilateral mastectomy on 14th June, so around the same time as you.

I don’t feel as though the feeling of tightness has improved, merely that I’ve got used to it.  I too do the exercises religiously and will start swimming when it’s safe (but after radiotherapy), because the physio said it’s the best exercise, not because I want to!

I went to the hospital yesterday and saw the surgeon who said I was healing OK, just small seratomas in the area under my arm which will get absorbed back into my body in time. She told me not to massage where the wounds are until they’ve completely healed but I can do it above and below. 

I don’t know about you but I look a fright - I can’t believe it when I look in the mirror. I look as though I’ve been attacked by sharks. 

Thanks again for getting in touch, it’s very nice to be in touch with someone who knows what it’s like. 

Gail

Annie63

Hi Gail

The physio exercises I have been doing are the Breast Care Now physio exercises. I imagine they are this site but I got mine from my breast care nurse. I had a single mastectomy 5 weeks ago today and have been doing the exercises religiously and also massaging with scar oil. I still have a tight sensation but I think it’s easing. If you can’t find the exercises ask the BCN nurses on this forum.

Good luck

Annie

oldgirl

You prob won’t see this as it’s such an old thread but in case you do could you please send me the exercises? Thanks so much. 
Gail

Josie16

I had a single mastectomy in February 2018. I noted that the scar itself appeared very tight, however I felt as though there was a tight band all the way around my chest. I likened it to feeling as though I was wearing a bra that was way too tight, all the time. I slept propped up on 5 pillows because I couldn't lie down and breathe at the same time. I couldn't lean back in my chair because then I couldn't breathe. Doctors and nurses appeared to have no idea what was happening. This went on for 3 months. I thought to myself, this is impossible - they only cut my breast and removed lymph nodes from the same side armpit. They didn't touch the other side or my back, so what could be happening? Then it occurred to me that when you get appendicitis, the pain is initially in the centre of the stomach, near the navel; my brother was diagnosed with heart disease from a pain in his shoulder!! So, I thought, it's my brain that's causing the problem, identifying the tightness of my new scar with something it was already familiar with - a too tight bra. So, the problem could only be solved by convincing my brain that the tightness was only in the scar and not all the way around. I did that by telling myself (my brain) that it was wrong and only the scar was tight. I did this many, many times and reduced my number of pillows by one every couple of nights. Within 2 weeks, the tight bra sensation was gone and has not returned.

oldgirl

Does anyone have anything new to add? I had a bilateral mastectomy a month ago and am I great discomfort from a tight band across my chest. Nobody can seem to help, apart from telling me to continue doing the exercises, which I’ve been doing ever day since I had the op. There has been no improvement. I take paracetamol but it doesn’t seem to help. Help!

ksrourke

How long did this last for you?

im 2 weeks post DMX   

im getting DIEP FLAP in Jan. 
I pray this feeling goes away 

thx!

kari xx

Josie16

I had a single mastectomy in February 2018. I noted that the scar itself appeared very tight, however I felt as though there was a tight band all the way around my chest. I likened it to feeling as though I was wearing a bra that was way too tight, all the time. I slept propped up on 5 pillows because I couldn't lie down and breathe at the same time. I couldn't lean back in my chair because then I couldn't breathe. Doctors and nurses appeared to have no idea what was happening. This went on for 3 months. I thought to myself, this is impossible - they only cut my breast and removed lymph nodes from the same side armpit. They didn't touch the other side or my back, so what could be happening? Then it occurred to me that when you get appendicitis, the pain is initially in the centre of the stomach, near the navel; my brother was diagnosed with heart disease from a pain in his shoulder!! So, I thought, it's my brain that's causing the problem, identifying the tightness of my new scar with something it was already familiar with - a too tight bra. So, the problem could only be solved by convincing my brain that the tightness was only in the scar and not all the way around. I did that by telling myself (my brain) that it was wrong and only the scar was tight. I did this many, many times and reduced my number of pillows by one every couple of nights. Within 2 weeks, the tight bra sensation was gone and has not returned.

LIsaGay

Re: Are you happy with your reconstruction?

Yes Lisa, am unhappy with outcome as well after DMX and 7 recons with two infections as well

LIsaGay

Thank you! I have had a dmx nipple sparring with 7 recons and two sepsis from hospital, I worked the whole time and am wanting to downsize, I wanted to 16 months ago when original surgery was. I too have a terrible tight band around chest and it gets more painful with exercise of arms and am quite "bitchy" sorry but its true. Does anyone know if smaller implants will help? The foobs are uneven so I always wear a bralette

Pauline Moore

Hi can I please ask where you buy these from and how you use them 

Many thanks 

Pauline x

Nicki121

I have this awful tightness too after 4 weeks post bilateral mastectomy with expander implants which were filled with 300ml while in theatre.  I still have lots of bruising and by the evening when I feel at my worse I feel like I want to concave and cannot straighten up.  I also have fluid retention to the sides of each breast and it is very painful and constantly sore and I get sharp, probing needle like pains now and again. I had fluid drained from my right side 10 days ago under ultra sound but think i may need this draining again.  Left side the fluid is soft but my right side it's firm. I worry about introducing infection by having this done again.  I take so many pain killers, as advised by the medics and sleep inducing drugs at night -I must rattle!

It's difficult to know what to do about any concerns.  I don't feel I want to bombard the BCN unnecessarily if what i'm experiencing is normal.  My next appointment is not until mid March for expander saline top-up and I feel that there is too long a gap without being monitored after the initial 2 week follow up.

There is a really good network of support groups 'Keeping Abreast' held in various towns and I went along to a couple before my operation.  My nearest is held at the Lister hospital.  It is for ladies who have had or are awaiting mastectomy and reconstruction. Unfortunately I wasn't able to make the January meet and the next one is not until March.  

Nicki

llclis

I have had that same exact feeling for 2 years now, strongly considering a new surgery, pre-pectoral, and smaller implants (the latter was my choice from the beginning, but the surgeon decided otherwise.)

@ConstanceMarie wrote:

I had a double mastectomy with implants, had an implant removed due to infection but ever since my double mastectomy almost five months ago I’ve had a tight constant pressure and cinched in feeling where I don’t want to take a deep breath or stand up straight. I feel like I have. Blood pressure machine pump inflated and on my chest with constant pressure.  I have told my doctors about this and they speak as though they’ve never heard of this and it’s nothing and will go away.  But it doesn’t.  What can I do?

Wiggleworm1123

Has it gotten any better. I wish the doctor would have warned me about this being a side effect. I did this profalaticly and if i knew i would feel this i may not have done this . Any advice. Its driving me crazy 

Wiggleworm1123

I had a double mastecomy  9 days ago and have the exact  same feeling. It is driving me nuts. Will it ever go away? Has your feeling gotten any better yet ?

ConstanceMarie

I had a double mastectomy with implants, had an implant removed due to infection but ever since my double mastectomy almost five months ago I’ve had a tight constant pressure and cinched in feeling where I don’t want to take a deep breath or stand up straight. I feel like I have. Blood pressure machine pump inflated and on my chest with constant pressure.  I have told my doctors about this and they speak as though they’ve never heard of this and it’s nothing and will go away.  But it doesn’t.  What can I do?

Premmious

I had a radical mastectomy done Sept 2016, followed by reconstruction.  I have had nothing but pain and problems.  I have had a total of 8 surgeries, replacement of the exspander, removal of the expander and breast implant placement.  It was replaced a second time, I developed large amounts of scar tissue, that was cut away and finally leaving the implant out.  However, I developed chronic seroma that had to be constantly drained.  I have so much pain to my left chest, left armpit and also scapula region. Its been over 2 years.

Jay68

I had a bilateral mastectomy last September and I still get the tightness in the chest and under arm.

First thing in the morning and later in the evening are the worse times for me.

Exercise really does help together with daily moisturising the areas with E45.

No short term answer - on researching it would appear it can go on for 3/5 years.... x
Loolarch

I too had a had bilateral mastectomy about ten weeks ago, and would recommend you try and get some more physiotherapy? I am still having regular sessions, and it does help a lot as she massages the scars which definitely reduces the tightness. I am massaging them myself using bio oil, but I don't think that helps as much. I also do the recommended exercises at least three times a day, I find first thing in the morning my chest scars feel pretty tight but stretching e.g by raising my arms as high as they can go, reduces the tightness. 

I wonder how how long other people carry on with the exercises post mastectomy? Any advice from anyone?

Uncle Sonny

I am two months post bilateral mastectomy.  Tightness in chest and underarm area is quite severe and very uncomfortable.  Had physical therapy which did wonders for my arm but did not help the tight feeling.  Wish I had better news and would appreciate any info on this.  Oh, I had previously had radiation on the same Breast albeit 19 years ago.

Uncle Sonny

I am two months post bilateral mastectomy.  Tightness in chest and underarm area is quite severe and very uncomfortable.  Had physical therapy which did wonders for my arm but did not help the tight feeling.

lisad

Hello Sandra

Thank you for your reply.

I had my original implant removed and had a more natural implant inserted on 5th June (not an expander as per original implant)

Very smooth op, no pain only tenderness, final stitches out this Friday.

So far, I am glad I took that desicion to have it done, more natural look although my other boob probably needs a lift now, but that can be sorted out with bras  .Smiley Very Happy  Only time will tell I guess if all OK and do not get any infection for it to be rejected.

Kind regards

Lisa

Sarnies

Hi Lisa, 

Just seen your question, what did you opt for in the end?.

I had the expander in 2015 however a week later it rejected leaving no option but to remove it leaving a hefty hole which took 3 months to heal. 

I have no intention of having another implant. But life as a solo boober isn't as bad as what some may think. I know age and size of boobage is a factor. 

Hope all is well. 

Sandra

lisad

Are you happy with your reconstruction?

Hello All

I had a mastectomy in July 2016 followed by an immediate reconstruction of a BECKER™ Expander/Breast Implant, however, after finishing chemo and radiation my implant is hard and uncomfortable.

I have discussed this with my breast cons. over the months and due to have symptoms of a Capsular contracture http://www.aurora-clinics.co.uk/breast/capsular-contracture-after-breast-enlargement-what-is-it-and-...  my cons. is going to do a reconstruction putting in a more natural implant in the next month.  

My only concern is that should an infection occur than the implant would be removed and I would have no breast until a time when using my own tissue could be implanted. So should I have it done or just put up with it as it is?

Has anyone else had issues with their reconstruction and had it redone.

Would really appreciate feedback, thank you

Lisa

Nuthatch

Hi Loubylou
Interested to hear about silicone gel sheets. I don’t know anything about them and how they work? My tightness is still there, and not getting any better really. I’m seeing physio regularly and she does soft tissue massage which has relieved the top most layer I think. But the tightness is much deeper in, not just on the surface. I found out about deep friction massage but that sounds quite aggressive - with suction and pummelling by a small gadget! Too risky for my ribs apparently. Am being referred back to my oncologist now. Will let you know what I find out there. I suspect he’s going to say, again, that I must wait patiently for it to improve. But info about the silicone sheets would be good if you have a minute. x
Loubylou

I have found silicone gel sheets have helped enormously in softening the scar area. They are around £15 each but you only need one per breast as you wash them each day. They make any lingerie more comfortable , can be barely seen and help with the scaring. I have had my reconstruction reconstructed due to capsular contracture thereby scar tissue on scar tissue. Hope this helps.