Yoga and breast cancer

I am nearing my 40’s. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in my 30s. Since it was in the starting stage, with a few chemotherapies, I got cured of it. Now am happy to say that I’m 5 months carrying, eagerly waiting for the first child. As my doctor suggested to spend 1 hour a day for pre natal yoga, I’m doing so. I have heard that prenatal yoga can reduce the chance of breast cancer, is it so? Although now I’m perfectly alright, I fear the cancer cells. Please share your thoughts.

A yoga session can last from 20 minutes to an hour and can be done alone at home or in a class setting with an instructor. During your yoga session you will: Learn and practice a series of poses: A typical hatha yoga session consists of a wide range of poses. If you’re taking a class, the instructor will have students practice a list of poses in a specific order. Poses are designed in a variety of ways: lying down, sitting, or standing. Breathe: Another aspect of a typical yoga session is learning and practicing breathing techniques for better mind and body control. Techniques include breathing through one nostril at a time and focusing on your breath as it enters your nose and fills your lungs. Learn what your limits are: Some yoga poses may be too challenging. Start out with the basics and push yourself a little, but not too hard. The idea is not to force the body into any position but to ease and breathe into it. The longer you breathe in a posture, the more your muscles tend to give. If you’re practicing at home and have trouble with a pose, use pillows to ease into a more comfortable position or move on to another pose. If you’re taking a class and have difficulty with a pose, an experienced instructor will design an easier posture for you. Many teachers use props such as blocks or cushions to make the practice more comfortable. If you find even basic classes to be too difficult, ask your teacher if there is a “restorative” yoga class you could try. These gentle classes are beneficial when recovering from illness or surgery and involve a minimum of physical work, concentrating on breathing while being supported by pillows and other props.

You can find the different treatment and cure for breast cancer.

I like yoga. It really helps. I am a yoga instructor myself and after my aunt finished her chemo and felt really bad I started working on a personal program for her keeping in mind that she was still weak from all the drugs they pumped up her system. She also had a previous condition called plantar fasciitis which causes pain when walking and also when exercising so t was important for me to keep that in mind. I have never really created a personalized programs for relatives so it was a little scary. While compiling my program for her I came across this really cool article with different yoga exercises for plantar fasciitis which allowed me to incorporate those into her routine as well. I made sure that she worked on it slowly but she has been doing an amazing job so far. And a lot of her friends have started doing yoga as well. I think that if you are trying to build up strength yoga is good idea for you.