Tips for writing about my experience

Hi everyone,

One of our brilliant bloggers, Fran, shared these tips on writing about your experience:

1. Have a go privately at first  – then you won’t worry whether it’s good or not. 
  2. Try different ways of writing  – for me it was poetry, but for others it can be prose or a diary, either detailed or simple. 
  3. Ask for feedback  – it can be scary, but share your work with loved ones. I read all of them to my husband, except for the one about him. When he finally read it, he said it made him cry, which was so touching. 
  4. Don’t be afraid of opening up  – It won’t hurt you, but will help you. Writing gave me strength, and I felt so proud once I’d created something. 
  5. Do it for yourself  – you don’t have to share anything if you don’t want to. It’s worth writing just for the benefit it gives you, helping you understand how you feel and deal with any demons. You can still be proud of what you’ve achieved. 

You can read more about Fran’s story here.

Do you have any tips that might help people get started, or any questions about writing?

Best wishes,

Claudia

Breast Cancer Care