Uncomfortable tight bras post op. My solution to a more comfortable nights sleep.

I had my mastectomy op  just over 2 weeks ago. 2/2/22

I wore my post op bras until I couldn’t stand wearing them anymore as they were so tight with the post op swelling. I found night time in bed especially uncomfortable.  I tried my normal bras, but they still hurt below where my new by breast implant is, and where the breast tenderness is, and I didn’t feel up to going to buy new bras.

I thought about finding something to give me the support and protection I needed, but without the tightness and discomfort. Then yey, I found the perfect thing to do the job temporarily until I can wear a bra again.

Desperate measures aren’t pretty, but it works perfectly for me.

I got a pair of big stretchy nickers out of my nicker drawer, and cut the gusset part off. (Please bear with me, sounds bonkers I know, but it works.) This stretchy band of fabric over the boobs is so comfortable, and with the waistband of the nickers at the top, it keeps the band of fabric in place nicely. To give the protection I felt I needed, I inserted a padded cup from a bra to protect where my implant is. 

I feel so much more comfortable now, both night and day.

I’ve made a couple of these, so I can wear one at night-time, and they wash and dry so easily.

Hi @Dolly Daydream  - Yeh, does sound bonkers, but also me thinks a tad ingenious, as it works well for you, darlin’. Comfort over looks rules, YEY  xXx 

I know what you mean about tight uncomfortable bras. Prior to my op I’d never worn a bra and now found them so uncomfortable I’ve given up wearing them. I persevered for three weeks day and night but ended up being so miserable, red marks everywhere where they rubbed. At the moment I’m just wearing vests they do give some support I hope it’ll be ok not to continue to wear bras, I spoke to the breast care nurse and she suggested the support vests so I’ve ordered a couple to try. I might try what you have done with knickers, anything’s worth a try.

Anyone else given up on bras?