1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bone mets - please join in

Tylerrose

Re: Bone mets - please join in

Hi Geordiex I had ct scan and a bone scan it was the bone scan that showed up the hot spots in my rib and base of my spine, an MRI scan confirmed and highlighted the extent which was from top to bottom of my spine.
Tylerrose

Hi luv I will keep you updated on my progress, I live in South Yorkshire my ongologist applied for funding I only saw him for the first time last Tuesday and he had the funding by Friday I was gob smacked how quick it happened starting my cocktail on Friday, thanks luv for the response keep safe xxxx
Katie2002

Claire - sorry I can't help but I do hope you've managed to speak to someone.Let us know how you get on xxx
Tylerrose - sorry you've had to join us but as you'll soon get to know we are a friendly bunch. I'm on herceptin and to be honest I tolerate it very well. I asked my onc about perjeta but he wouldn't consider it whilst herceptin working. No doubt down to money! I'd be interested to know how you get on with it. Can I ask which area of the country you are in? I am under Christies in the North West. Good luck with your treatment. I know I felt a lot better when the treatment plan was put in place.
Geordiex - I am by no means an expert and can only tell you what happened to me - but in my experience the bone and ct scans seem to back each other up. When I got my primary dx - I had a bone scan and 'hot spots' showed up. At the time I was told that these areas were probably down to wear and tear and no disease was found. It wasn't until 6 months later, after my chemo that the follow up ct scan picked up on the fact that the hot spots had altered due to chemo - hence the secondary dx. What I am trying to say is that I think they use different scans to get a clearer picture. Hope that makes sense? I am sure there will be other ladies along soon with more information.
Hope everyone else is keeping well and dry! Alice and I got caught in a thunderstorm earlier and got wet thro! She thought it was great fun. We went to get material to make new cushion covers. I think my house has a definite wildlife theme - we got bright fabric with owls on!
xxx

myfanwy18

Thank you June. I did speak to a nurse, not my usual one and she said it was normal procedure prior to any treatment so they can see if it is working and have something to compare with. I notice you say you haven't had any ops, is this because it could be treated/managed with hormone therapy alone?
Tylerrose, I do agree with June, once treatment has started it is easier, the waiting is always difficult. Good luck for Friday also.
Hello to all the new ladies on this site, sorry you have had to join us as Val says but I have found it a great help over the years and hope you do to.
Claire

geordiex

just wondering is a bone scan better than CT for showing up bone mets ?

doodlecat

Hi Claire I have ILC like you with spread to right ovary, womb and extensively to bones. I have CAE, CA125, CA15-3, full blood count and kydney function test every four weeks. I have had no ops. Mx was cancelled after spread to bones discovered. Not sure if that helps you. I think you have done the right thing staying of work and looking after yourself. I hope you get to speak to the nurse soon and she can reassure you.

Tylerrose, I agree with Val this thread is the best for us. It is full of so many women who are so informative and supportive. Good luck for Friday. It is good you are getting prompt treatment. It always feels better once treatment started.

June
Jo_BCC

Hi Claire,

Sorry to hear of your concerns. The helpline is open now until 5pm today, give them a call, the staff are here to support you. Calls are free 0808 800 6000.

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

myfanwy18

Hi everyone,
I haven't posted for a while but usually only post on this site. History is DX 2010 with ILC, mastectomy and node clearence, DX secondaries to bone, tamoxifen zometa, met to ovary, hystectomy and chemo, arimidex since last September. About four weeks ago I felt small lump on my mastectomy scar, saw Consultant who at first said there was hardly anything there but after biopsy and seeing him again he said there was a few cancer cells there. He said treatment would be a change of tablets or a one day operation to remove it. However looking on the internet at all the tumour marker tests he's sent me for has struck panic in me. Is it normal to have so many marker tests, Cae, Ca125, CA57.8 (I think). The last scan I had was April and my Oncologist was happy with that, no spread in bones, nothing elsewhere. I'm feeling really scared and can't get hold of my breast care nurse to discuss it. Couldn't go into work today because I'm feeling so frightened. Has anyone else had all these tests after a recurrence or anything else? Your comments would be much appreciated.
Claire

scottishlass

Welcome Tylerrose to the club you never wanted to join. I am saddened that you have been thrown into the deep end and I am sure you are trying hard to make sense of it all. Sometimes close friends and family memebers are not the ones you want to talk to when you want to discuss things that you may think would upset them. That is where we come in. We are a friendly bunch and have got to know each other on here and the support is second to none. This is in fact the BEST thread on the forum, in my opinion that is! I got diagnosed with extensive bone mets way back in 1999 and am still around to tell the tale. Hopefully this will help in the days to come for you knowing that ladies can live a long time with this secondary diagnosis. Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing. Hugs, Val

Tylerrose

Hi Ladies I've been recently diagnosed with breast cancer and bone mets it's spread to my spine and ribs its also in my lymph nodes neck and chest, I saw my onc for the first time last Tuesday and he's moved very quickly and has already obtained funding for me to receive the new drug perjeta, I start my treatment this Friday 1st of August will be receiving chemo, herceptin and perjeta all in one cocktail I'm staying positive after reading all your positive posts.
belinda

Hi June and I'm glad they did actually phone you back! It's so petty or jobsworth to not have arranged you a date just 'cos the form is one tick missing. I think they owe you one HUGE apology re complaining about how you have been treated since day one. You can feel you're wading through treacle with this ****** illness when everything goes smoothly so how energy sapping it must feel to constantly have to chase and check. It makes me mad reading how some of us have to put up with all the added worries
Have a peaceful weekend...x
doodlecat

Belinda, thanks the onc phoned me and appointment to be confirmed but will be Thursday or Friday. Can you believe that radiology would reject a CT scan request for a patient because onc missed a tick box? Unbelievable!

On the positive side I have put up with all their mistakes from initially being told I had a cyst through to mammogram being 'satisfactory' even though I presented with a sizable lump. Then followed the secondary diagnosis five months later. Preceded by the five years of me going to breast clinic with the 'cysts'. I was reluctant to complain because at one stage my GP who is lovely tried to drain my 'cysts' and described them as a bunch of grapes rather than banana. As a lay person Invasive Lobular Cancer lookes like s bunch of grapes. I am now going to formally complain. I know it will be a difficult process but I owe it to the women who are going to follow me on this journey and who deserve better.

On the Housing Association front it is all sorted. Local CAB came to assist me ( I briefly did some voluntary work with them). It would appear that a couple of their staff are mistakenly or deliberately misinterpratating new guidelines. So CAB and a high heid yin from the HA came to see us today and they both love our flat.

Janine I meant to say I changed jobs after diagnosis and continued to work up until s few weeks ago. I am off work at the moment on SSP and don't think I will go back. I think I will return to voluntary work at CAB where I know I can do some good. I am quite lucky in that I took early retirement a few years ago and have a small (very small) pension. Since tnen I have never been out of work as I live in a village and have been offered various jobs. I have days where I could work with no problems and days where
I could happily sleep all day. I work for Scottish Government but via an agency so I can't just pop in on days when I feel better. If I had 'proper' contract I could have tested working for a few hours a day. See how you get on. If you can take some time off on pay then do it and don't feel guilty. You have to look after youself first. Equally if you are able physically and mentally to work it keeps things normal(ish).
belinda

Another who is sorry you have to join us Janine. I was also in my early 40's when I was diagnosed, double whammy, bc and bone mets. My hip spontaneously fractured so I had to have a hip replacement. Still here ten years later. I had hormonal treatments at first and have just now finished my 2nd chemo. This is a very friendly and supportive place.
Hope things are now beginning to pick up for you after your holiday Mara. I've never read any of Richard Dawkin's books before, I have read newspaper articles by him. Would imagine his books would make for very lively discussions! 🙂 I have an Oscar Wilde collection of short stories, The Happy Prince always brings a tear to my eyes. Happy Reading.
I hope you received that phone call June. They have wasted so much of your time already. I'm speechless really, I can't believe the hospital cannot even be relied upon to send a letter. And with your Dad being poorly you have more than enough to deal with.
Take Care Everyone...x
doodlecat

My latest debacle - you seriously could not make this stuff up. I have been waiting on a CT scan following the
Letrozole stopping working and oncology not listening to me. It was only to be used as a marker prior to Cap chemo but for me it would confirm whether any spread or not while they were pfaffing about. I was told I would have the scan within a fortnight (today is the fortnight) and I had not heard anything. I phoned to chase yesterday and onc's secretary said she would call me back. I am sure you can guess the next bit - when no phone call I chased again today. I was told that form had not been completed properly and returned. I had to then complain and the locum onc phoned me back. She apologised and said a box had not been ticked and the form had to be returned and re-signed. She blamed my local hospital. I had to tell her they were my local hospital even though they are 115 miles away. Turned out they had sent the form to another hospital also 115 miles away which I had specifically asked not to be sent to. I am currently waiting on her phoning me back or hell freezing over whichever happens first to give me a date for appointment.

They don't seem to appreciate we still have a life to live and plans to be made. My Dad has bowel cancer and my sister has been left looking after him and I need to help her even for a short time. He is 220 miles away.

Katie 'in a right tiswas' love it! Not that ypu were in a tiswas just the expression.

You know these books we keep talking about I reckon we ought to write our own. Mind you we are too busy waiting on phone calls and appointments or phone calls about appointments.
Katie2002

Sorry you have had to join us Janine but like everyone has said the people on this thread are lovely and very knowledgable. You are not alone. I am 42 - my primary dx was Dec 2011 and sec dx in June 2012. I have bone mets in mets in my lower spine and pelvis. My current treatment is herceptin every 3 weeks. I only had 6 shots at zometa - my onc only gives 6. Different oncs and areas vary. I may be joining the cap chemo gang soon but have put that thought onto a back burner until after my hols. As for work I am a teacher - I decided to go back and that was the right choice for me but everyone is different. My only advice would be not to rush any decisions and do what you think is right for you. I remember getting myself in a right tiswas when I was thinking of whether to go back or not but really its not worth the stress all the worrying. As I say I am glad I went back - its given me - me back if that makes sense. It is a great distraction and I know I am very lucky at the moment to be able to do it. I try to see having secondary bc as having a condition that I live with.
Keep posting!
Katie x

Lucy_BCC

Hi Janine and welcome to the BCC forums

In addition to the support and shared experiences you have here already our helpliners are on hand with a listening ear, further support and information so please feel free to call on 0808 800 6000, lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays

You may find the following link useful, it contains secondary information and further support ideas from BCC:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/secondaries?utm_source=Homepage&%3Butm_medium=help_you&%3Butm_campaign=secondaries

Take care

Lucy

doodlecat

Janine, should have said when I was first diagnosed I read this whole thread and the information here is invaluable.
doodlecat

Hi Janine, I was diagnosed from the outset (September 2012) with Invasive Lobular BC with spread to right ovary, womb and possibly liver. Bone spread is spine, pelvis, ribs and collar bones. I started out with Letrozole, Zolodronic Acid infusion (to stregthen bones), Zoledex implant and Adcal. I got a few months out of the Letrozole before it stopped working but many others on here have did well on this for a few years. I started Capecitibine (an oral chemo) last week.

I do not get too much pain from my bone mets but I have it pre-arranged that if I do to phone Oncology and tgey will arrange radiotherapy.

It is hard to get your head round it at first and I definitely thought I would only last a few months but I am still mostly really healthy almist a year later.

Someone with more experience than me will be able to help you better than me I am sure.

Take care.

June
MaraUk

Hi Belinda and welcome Janine72
Sorry you have to join us. I am relatively new to all this and like Belinda I was also dx with the double whammy bone mets straight out in February.
Belinda thanks for asking I had a lovely holiday so relaxing but once I was back. I seem to go downhill for a few days. That's why it was good to come here and find everyone talking about books.. I wish I could sew but I am useless never even finished the school pinny I had to make lol.
i have gone back to short stories I also like Michael Morpogo not sure if that is how you spell it. He writes for youngsters eg War Horse etc but I did manage to read The god Delusion by Richard Dawkins for a book club we had agreat debate over this one.
It's good to share books and authors I will check out William Trevor. Another good collection of short stories is by Oscar Wilde the playwright there are some great familiar tales in his collection my kids and grandkids love them just my level t the moment. I have to start on an Unholy murder for my next book club.
great to chat
Mara
i
Porkie

Hi Janine, welcome. I am sorry that you have had to join us but I am sure you will get lots of support from the ladies here. I was disgnosed with primary and secondaries in the bones in May 2011. I do not post here very often but I read all the posts from all of the wonderful ladies who are living with secondaries, sometimes for many years. I personally tried to return to work but I had a job which was stressful with long hours so decided that I would take ill health retirement but other ladies here have returned to work finding that it gives normality in their lives - so I think it is a very personal decision. But I now live a very full and active life and since my diagnosis have seen my son graduate and my other son marry, two things which I thought I would not achieve when I was diagnosed. I am no expert having to date only letrozole, a hormone tablet but some of the ladies are experts and I know will be on hand to offer guidance. I did have radiotherapy as well to my lower back nearly a year ago for pain relief and that worked very well so may be an option for your oncologists? But I just wanted to say welcome and send a cyber hug. Jackie x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi I am 41yrs and have recently been diagnosed with bone mets in my spine mostly my lower back. On the 2nd of July I was hospitalized because of the bain in my back that came back and was receiving chemo taxotere and Herceptin at that time. When I left the hospital I read the discharge letter I was given to bring to my doctor. I understood from the letter that the mets had progressed in two more bones of the back. Now last week I was to receive my chemo when they changed it to only Herceptin. I still find it strange for not receiving chemo at all. They oncologist told he would keep the chemo for last. I am still controlling my pain with Tramadol and Paracetmol codeine. The nurse from oncology told that if my pain increased I should go to the Emergency, but up to now this has not been the case. Sometimes I ask myself if I will be able to reach the age of 51.cm
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi I am 41 years old and have been diagnosed with secondary breastcancer in the bones on June the 24th 2013. This was discovered after I kept complaining about back pain that would come back every time I got sick. I received 2 chemo treatments and now I will not receive any but will be be treated with Herceptin and Zometa. I feel that my future is just wait and see since there is no real treatment plan. I do not know if I should start work again or when. There are days I feel ok but others I am very tired.
belinda

Hi Mara, hope you enjoyed your holidays. I love short stories especially when I'm on chemo and lacking concentration. Alice Munro, Carol Shields and William Trevor's short stories are my favourites or any Agatha Christie novel. When I was first diagnosed, I was one of the 'double whammy' girls, diagnosed stage 4 from the beginning and was in shock. While trying to get my head round everything I read Jacqueline Wilson's books for teens. At the time they were really helpful. It's lovely to find out what you are all reading. Apart from William Trevor I don't think I have any other books written by men. Do wish I could knit and read at the same time. I always take my knitting to the hospital waiting room. I can do some lace and other stitches but I only usually knit shawls or scarves.
I remember Sarah, cromercrab, was a very talented knitter.
x
MaraUk

Hi everyone
just back from holidays I was feeling a little down having t o come back to reality. So it was lovely to see this relaxing thread on books. I love to read but sometimes my concentration is not what it was.
Will look at all your suggestions.
Mara
Katie2002

hi everyone!

Just wondering how you are June? I hope you managed to chill.
I am loving all the book talk. It's like having our very own book club. I'd much rather be part of that bc group than the other - if you get my drift! I have just started The Stolen Ones by Richard Montanari - nt for the feint hearted. Had some weird disturbing dreams last night.
It has been a lovely day here up north. Spent the day at Heaton Park with Alice and frirends and was surprised at how quiet it was. It is usually busy.
Off to the pictures in a minute to watch Despicable Me 2!
Hope everyone is having a good day xxx

belinda

Hello Nicky. Yes I agree it's lovely to talk books... to have some normal away from the medical stuff. Hope life is settling down for you and you've been able to start the treatment that was on hold. x
nicky08
Community Champion

Hi Boney ladies
How nice to have a bit of a chat about books etc rather than our usual woes, which are always ongoing anyway!
Sorry to hear about all your struggles with the HA, June (Doodlecat), as if you don't have enough to deal with as it is.
Val - Sorry to hear of the new bone areas but hoping that radiotherapy will sort them out. As you say, good news about the brain - and I'm glad it was all clear when they found it 😉 - I do hope you know I'm joking with you! Great to hear you are feeling well also and the appetite is back and you are able to do more. Sorry to hear about your Dad though, I know you've had worries in the past, just hope some medical professional can support you and him rather than you having all the burden. Thank you also for sending an update about Nina, I did wonder how things were going, as I'm sure others did aswell.
Also hoping that Caron is getting the best help and support she and her family can.
As to books I did find Gone Girl (recommended to me by my 22 yr old daughter) to be a bit 'different'. Maybe I was going through an odd time myself when I read it but needed to read Jack Dee's autobiography (a very loose term for his book!) to cheer myself up afterwards! Gone Girl must definitely split the ranks as Katie has said. I have recently read 'Inferno' the new Dan Brown book which wasn't anywhere near as good as his earlier ones and currently on the new John Grisham book, all on my kindle, which I love 🙂 I tend to read a lot of thrillers (including the Peter James ones) so am interested in the ones mentioned here as I'm always running out of authors, or they aren't writing quickly enough!
Anyway, away from the books angle, I hope everyone is coping with their treatments and that the recent hot weather hasn't been causing too many problems.
Nicky xx

belinda

Oh just to let Kindle readers know. I've just been reading the fiction threads on mumsnet and someone has posted if you loved Gone Girl she recommends 'Apple Tree Yard' by Louise Doughty. It's currently on Amazon for £1.39 for the Kindle version.
I'm old fashioned books person but if anyone has read it would love to know what you thought of it. It has lots of good reviews on Amazon but it had passed me by and I've never read any of her books. Sorry this should probably not be on the bone mets thread but so many of us love a good book I hope no-one minds.
x
belinda

Oh Lordy talk about chemo brain. I've just spent 5 minutes wondering how the window cleaner had sneeked into Katie's home to use the toilet...before it all clicked into place.
Nowt wrong with wooden ducks as your homage to Hilda Ogden Katie as I have 3 blue birds on chimney breast.
Your flat sounds sooo nice I would imagine it would be snapped up by anyone with good taste June. 🙂
We had some built in wardrobes made and never decorated inside them so they still have this eye popping 70's groovy paper.
Happy reading all.
doodlecat

Hi Val you are right. I am just going to let my husband deal with it. Spoke to the Macmillan CAB today and they were helpfull too.

Will order some books and chill.

Thanks.
scottishlass

Doodlecat, It is not worth it letting this distress and argument with the Housing people get to you. It will not do your health any good and I wonder if it would be better for you to get someone to deal with it on your behalf. I know you want to stand your ground and that may be fine at first but take care that you do not get even more distressed because of all this. I am not having any problems at all at the moment (touch wood) but I remember being so stressed with something in the long distant past that I couldn't see the wood for the trees and ended up making myself ill. It just wasn't worth it. Let us know how it goes in the coming weeks and keep us in touch with your situation about the house etc. Take care. Val

doodlecat

Hi Val, I have phoned the Macmillan CAB person who helped my get DLA. She was the one who instigated the move for me as she said I would not manage in the flat as this disease progresses. Housing have now sent me a copy of their 'neutral colour policy'. It is an internal document and I believe they have not yet sent a copy out to tenants. I have certainly never seen it. It is dated November las year which was just after my diagnosis. I decorated the flat for my husband as I knew if I was not here it would never get done. I wanted to make it nice or him. I started the decorating in November last year so this document would have been very relevant. I will enjoy the arguement with the housing if I can manage to keep my emotipns out of it which is very difficult as I know you will also know. When CAB phones me back I am going to ask if I can use the Disabilty Act 'making reasinable adjusts' bit to help my case. The housing have now said they will provide labour if we buy paint. I have just spent £3,000 on refurbishing this flat and I am trying to save every penny I can for my husband and youngest son to help them when I die. Do you know what It is all distressing me I am devestated and fed up of putting a brave face on.

Val I hope you get your rads sorted out soon. Still haven't ordered any books but do you know what I think I may have a Ken Follett lying around which I haven't yet tackled (only read one of his so far).

I am off for a good cry to get this out of my system.

Take care.
scottishlass

The very first book I read by Ken Follett was "The Eye of the Needle" which I had seen on TV as a black and white film many times and is set in Scotland. Very easy to read. Donald Sutherland was the main actor. This one is a thriller.
I have read "Pillars of the Earth" a few years ago and loved it. Historical, lovely characters and stories, and building of cathedrals with a bit of history thrown in. I did not want to watch it on TV when it was on quite recently. "World Without End" follows on from this book.
My favourute of all Is "Fall of Giants" and there is a following book which I think you must read after the Fall of Giants as there are characters whose lives follow on from the first book. Second book is "Winter of the World". Do not be put off by the size of these books beacuse he is a brilliant, yes brilliant, story teller and very easy to read, not at all difficult to follow, exciting in fact. He seems to be able to write all sorts of books, different genres.
I picked up "Lie down with Lions" from the library. It was good and set in Afghanistan.
I have recommended these to my friends and one loaded up "Fall of Giants" on to her KINDLE when she went off on holiday and she too said it was fantastic. She couldn't put it down either. You get hooked on the characters and where the story will lead you next.
DOODLECAT, sorry I missed the bit about the housing association and the paintwork. Mad isn't it. Hope you get things sorted to YOUR satisfaction. Could "SHELTER" help or aadvise you about this? I remember having to paint INSIDE built in wardrobe in the kids room but the house I moved to had different layers of wall paper on top of each other and the pine stairs had holes where the previous owner had worn stilleto heels! Hugs to all, Happy reading, Val

doodlecat

Hi Vercors, my husband is having a meeting this morning with Housing Association. I am not sure if I have said this already but I have photos of the flat when we first moved in twelve(ish) years ago, so I have evidence of how bad it was. This is all taking my mind of this disease as well - except for the fact if I didn't have it I wouldn't have to move! We actually think we know what property we are going to be offered and we believe it will be too small for our future needs so ironically we probably wont even be able to take it. Just as well if I had psyched myself up for the offer of a house and garden I would now be devestated.

I am going to go off now and order some books. I have only read one Ken Follett a long time ago. You are all giving me such good ideas for reading material.
Katie2002

June - good luck with the letter writing! Give it to them straight!!! I think Vercors has a point - getting the press involved could be a good idea. It's definitely worth thinking about.
I am going to look out Ken Follett books when I go to the library - thanks for the recommendations for 'new' (to me at least) authors.
Belinda I am the owner of Bob the stags head. Not a real one I hasten to add! I also have 3 wooden ducks on my wall in homage to Hilda Ogden. Think the bc has made me a bit loopy!!!
Well talk about embarrassed this morning! I got up leisurely as my little girl had a sleep over last night at her Grandma's. I had breakfast, did a little work and went to the toilet. Only to find the window cleaner was there! Eek - how will I face him when he comes for his money????

xxx

vercors

Hi Val,
I am sorry about your news and I hope they get you sorted soon. I also hope your dad finds his feet again, this must be worrying for you.
Sorry I haven't been posting for a while, work is hectic and so is family life. All in a good way, so I can't complain. It all keeps my mind off this bl***y disease. Still as I get to read all your posts as I get the email notifications.
I am another one reading Ken Follett at the minute, The Pillar of the earth, I am really enjoying it but unfortunately there aren't enough hours in the day for me to find time to read. Maybe someone should take away all of my electronic gadget excetp for the Kindle, I am sure that I would find the time... O well.
Doddlecat, the housing Association need a good telling off. Why don't you involve the press? Get them to take photos of your lovely flat, they'll soon change their tune.
Take good care everyone. xxx

trudy2010

Thanks, Val, hoping Nina's strength will return once she gets over rads.
By the way, I really like books by Ken Follet and Jackdaws is excellent. It's been a few years since i read it and i can't remember the whole plot but i do know I didnt want to put it down!

doodlecat

Belinda I googled Gone Girl after Val said a film was planned and I found a discussion about the book. It would appear you either love it or hate it. Quite a few contributers were not happy with the ending so you are not alone in not getting into the book. I now have lots of ideas for new books. I am going to treat myself tomorrow. Will give me something to do in between firing off letters to MSP, MP, local Disability Rights and anyone else I can think of. Housing first I think to find out how they think it is value for money to pay thousands to paint two rooms and a bathroom. I am on my high horse now!

Hope you are all as well as can be.

Take care.

June.
belinda

Neutral is boring, I think. 🙂 Just watched the new Kirstie programme...furnishing the house from free..upcycling etc. I thought of this thread as one of the couple featured wanted a stag's head...Katie..you are the stag head owner? 🙂 My house is very 'me' and not neutral at all but not biggy flashy, clashy colours. I bet your flat looks fabby how it is June. I have cream peony lights too..so in fact you have great taste. 🙂 I gave up a quarter in to Gone Girl...that'll teach me now I know the ending's good. I've just started the Cazalet books, serialised on Woman's Hour, by Elizabeth Jane Howard. Live in the South but very East too, so far no big showers...my lovely plants will be splattered. x
doodlecat

Val, I have read Khalid Hoseini's first two books but I had given up on a new one so that is good to know. My copy of Gone Girl is still with me if you want to PM your address I will send it to you. Equally if you don't want to do that in case I turn into a mad stalker I wont be offended.

Katie, I have been watching The Returned which is on the same time as The White Queen so I have missed it. Your dining room does sound lovely. When I said my walls were originally multi coloured I meant with some sort of mad retro style paint job that didn't work. I do like a bit of colour, but I know it's not for everyone. I spent a lot of time working out a colour scheme for my bedroom ( I had a premonition I would be spending a lot of time there). It is a deep redish velvety colour (Val similar the old Edinburgh buses) with a grey carpet and cream blinds. I have cream peony lights wrapped around the metal bedstead and another set of cream lights in a vase. My centre light is a small chrystal chandelier type thing and I have a couple of sparkly lamps. It is so cosy in the winter. I would do the same colours if I moved. If the Housing Association want to take me on I am more than ready for them. I have taken (unpaid) time of work while on Capecitibine so I have time on my hands. If they insist on me re-painting I will just ask them to adjust my flat to suit my needs. Look forward to seeing a stair lift going up the three flights of stairs! Forgot to sau that housing told me if tgey had to contract out the work to paint my two bedroom flat it would cost them thousands of pounds - great work if ypu can get it. They actually employ two decorators so not sure where this 'thousands of pounds' price tag is coming from. I am actually finding the whole situation hilarious now I have recovered.

June
Katie2002

Doodlecat - that is totally rubbish news from your Housing Association. It is such a pity you have to move. You are right - this disease just keeps taking! No doubt though when you do get your new house you will use your artistic flair to create something special. I emulsioned my kitchen wall a very boring white on Sunday as it needed freshened up and I had spare paint. The rest of my house though is a tad more colourful. My favourite room is the dining room. It is the first room I ever papered. It is a green, teal and brownish stripe. The curtains are the same colour but large spots. I have a huge canvas that my daughter painted on (in the same colours) when she was 3! It doesn't sound great from my description but I love it!
Val - I read the 50 shades trilogy whilst on chemo last year. Must admit it was all very samey after a while. Didn't have me rushing out to buy any 'toys' that's for sure!!!!! 🙂 Thankd for the book suggestions. I think I picked up Gone Girl in Tesco. It was on offer - always a bonus.
Has anyone been watching The White Queen? - I don't tend to watch a lot of TV but really enjoying this.
Any ideas on the new Royal baby names? My daughter is into The Famous Five and has taken a liking to the name Julian! Not so sure on that one!
Katie x

scottishlass

Hi Katie, Sorry you missed the get-to-gether in Liverpool. Never mind these things happen and I bet there were other people unable to got as well because of the trains. I heard about the trains being cancelled on the radio this morning so knew all about it early in the day. We have had lots of thunder and lightening and torrential rain on and off but at least we won't have to water the garden for a day or so. The whole of the East coast of Britain is meant to have heavy rain tomorrow too, so remember your unbrella if you go without the car anywhere! Thanks for the titles of the books above. I , much to my YD's disgust, am reading 50 shades! She cannot believe I am ploughing through it. I am quite enjoying it and I don't think it IS badly written as many have said. Opened my eyes up though" Oh what I have missed in life 🙂 .....
I recently read Khaled Hosseine's "And the Mountain Echoed" ( he wrote The kite Runner and A Thousand Spendid Suns) you can get it in hardback in Tesco for £9 if you want it anyone.
I also picked up a Ken Follett book from a charity shop that I have not read yet which was published in 2001 called "Jackdaws". All his newer books are just fabulous especially "The Fall of Giants".
Another book in my charity shop is called "Reunion" but I think it is from USA and is by Karen Kingsbury with Gary Smalley. Thought it looked a good read but is beside my bed on the pile that is still to be read. Where did you buy "Gone Girl"? On line or in a shop Katie?
OH just put leg of lamb in the oven which smells amazing....yummy. Love to all, love Val

doodlecat

Katie, I described Nick to my husband and he suggested Ben Affleck and I said 'no' so that's me looking stupid again! Nicole Kidman ten years ago would work. This is the problem I had in that any of the women I wanted to play Amy were too old for part. I have read a few of the Roy Grace novels but not recently and one of Mo Hayder's early ones. Will look at the newer ones. Now just read You Had Me at Hello by Mhairi McFarlane - a bit girlie and not my usual type but made for easy reading.

That's a shame your day was spoiled. Not having a good day here myself. Just had soneone round from the Housing Association to inspect my flat prior to offering me a house and told I will have to re-paint it neutral colours if I am offered a house. I live three flights up and told him I would rather be housebound than repaint. I decorated (new carpets, velux blinds, light fittings, etc) at the end of the year. My flat is now beautiful everyone who comes in here loves it and I was hearbroken at thinking I would be leaving it.. When I moved in here ten years ago you should have seen the state if it; multi coloured walls (that's multi colours on each individual wall) and paint that should have been on the ceiling dripping on the walls and paint that should have been on the walls sploshed onto the ceiling! I was given fifty pound back then to spend on re-decorating. Apparently policy has changed. I have kept photos of the flat when we first moved in. Now have to fight with the housing. This cancer truly is the gift that keeps giving.

Phew! Glad I got that out - not sure whether to laugh, cry, scream or shout!

Ps Any spelling errors are my tablets fault and I can't be botheted checking for them.
helen44

My thoughts are with you Carrie Anne & I hope that you will know the love of your family at this difficult time. Thank you for your congratulations on my degree. - it was lovely of you to post about it.
Love & hugs, Helen x
Katie2002

Val - sorry to hear your news.Like Doodlecat says I hope the rads start soon and they 'sort you out'!
I have had a very frustrating day. I wanted to go to Liverpool for the Secondary BC meet up. I got as far as Manchester and had to turn back. Lightening had struck at Picadilly and there was a fault with the signals. The trains were haywire. Took me ages to get home 😞 I missed having my scone and catch up with everyone.
Doodlecat - glad you enjoyed Gone Girl. I have just googled the film cast. Would never have thought of Ben Affleck, As for the actress to play Amy - in my mind it would have been Nicole Kidman 10 years ago. Really not sure who should play her really. I have just read Mo Hayder's Poppet which was a good read and before that Peter James' new Roy Grace story.
Well it looks like the heavens are going to open up here. Still very muggy though!
Anyway while I have 5 minutes of peace - I am going to try and book a cake making course - my friends got me a voucher for my birthday.
Love to all xxx

doodlecat

Thanks Val. Off to have a look. Hope I am not disappointed with the cast!
scottishlass

Truddles, you asked about Nina (Broomsticklady) so I put a message onto FB which her husbnad replied to. He says that Nina is weak at the moment but is recovering from rads and steroids and her McMillan nurse says she needs to rest and sleep. Her husband has got a chair lift installed at home for her and he hopes this will aid recovery and she will be back posting again when she is stronger. Val

scottishlass

Google it and you will see it IS being made into a film already!

doodlecat

Val, I hope you get your treatment sorted out soon and your Dad is also quickly back on his feet. Sun still shining here although I believe we are due some rain today.

Katie, I finally finished Gone Girl and agree it is a great ending and would lend itself to being made into a film. I am currently casting for it (in my head). I am having problems getting the right people who are the correct age (within reason). I think once I have my 'Andie' then the rest might fall into place.

June
scottishlass

thanks Belinda