73.4K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the success of first line treatment determine the success of subsequent treatments?

20 REPLIES 20
Skater62

Re: Does the success of first line treatment determine the success of subsequent treatments?

I started on various treatments along with letrozole from March 2019 the first was palciclebib I was on that for quite a few months. I have been having scans every 3 months. Secondary BC in my sternum and spine. 
But as soon as they are not working they are stopped. I have had 4 some targeted ones like palbociclib and oestrogen receptive medications all stopped as soon as not working. 
Now I’m on an intravenous chemotherapy currently Abraxine. 
I don’t quite know where I go after if it stops working, possibly a trial. Having said that I’ve had all these different medications I have heard of people who are on them for long periods. As long as they are effective I think they are happy to continue. 
I don’t know if any of this is helpful, I’ve come to the conclusion is everyone is different. There’s no one rule. X

Secondarysister2

Re: Does the success of first line treatment determine the success of subsequent treatments?

Hi Akg57,

Thank you for your lovely comment! ❤️ that’s what family and friends are for I think! To look out for one another. 
That’s brilliant news you have found a treatment that works well for you! I know in my heart other treatments will work and all hope is definitely not lost, but that first bit of progression since my mums secondary diagnosis was difficult. We were sailing along nicely and we hit a bit of a bump! But the storm shall pass! Thank you for sharing your story. It makes all the difference! ❤️Xx

akg57

Hi secondary sister

So proud you are there for your mum.  My family including my daughter are very supportive and my diagnosis has affected them badly.  My daughter has been to appointments with me, speaks to the consultant and asks questions that I may have forgotten to ask.  It works well. 
As someone else has said on the forum, we are all different as to how we react to treatment.  My first line of treatment was not successful.  I am now on chemo tablets, and doing ok.  I met someone the other day who has been on the same tablets for 15 years so far.  It gives us all hope.   
All the best for you and your mum x

Secondarysister2

Thank you Mindy63. That means a lot! ❤️ Xxx

Mindy63

Secondarysister-you are advocating for your mum. Sooo important. If you were my daughter, I’d be reassured, not to mention proud.

Guest user
Not applicable

I think you have found in favour of the other girl. I would like to he removed fro this forum and my messages to be deleted, not just locked. 

Elizabeth 

Bernard_BCN
Community Manager

Hi everyone

May I please remind us all of the importance of being kind to one another on this Forum. People come here to find support, reassurance, and to learn from other people's experiences - whether they are the ones living with cancer, or whether they are supporting a loved one.

The values we encourage and expect on this Forum can be found here.

We have removed two messages that didn't fit in with the values we want to uphold.

Bernard

ZoeK_BCN
Community Manager

Hello Forum members,

Thank you for sharing your posts. We would like to remind members that our priority is to create a safe environment where everyone feels welcome to share their experience, advice and ask questions. Please be reminded of our Forum guidelines 

Many people using the Forum are going through a challenging time and have a story we are not aware of. We hope you will help creating a support group you're proud to be part of.

Sending you our warmest wishes,

Zoe

Secondarysister2

You are judgemental of a situation you know nothing about. I’m not interfering at all. My mum does not see it this way, so you certainly shouldn’t. It is wanting the best for her. The diagnosis overwhelms her at times and she needs support.

My mum is not computer savvy having worked in a children’s nursery for 30 years and can just about use an email address.   

Everyone uses silly names on here which don’t make sense!!! I made the account on my mums behalf. Coming from Angel Eyes??? 

Furthermore, I consider myself a sister of the breast cancer community. My auntie was diagnosed with BC at 35 and my mum at 42. I am high risk also. Not that I need to explain all this to you!!! 

I only ever posted and reached out for help, support and advice on here from other ladies living with SBC In order to help my mum who is living with SBC. I dont see your problem. 

If you dont want to help, then dont comment. 

Guest user
Not applicable

You strike me as interfering. 

You asked my opinion and I gave it. I suggested other face to face options of groups for you that would probably be more appropriate. 

By the way, your handle is inppropriate. You are not a 'sister' of anyone on this Forum.

Best of luck. 

Angel Eyes 

Secondarysister2

Wow. You sound like a nice person! Not.

It’s my mum. If I want to help her by joining a forum on her behalf, I will. She has benefited greatly from the information I have got from here.  

Jools-50

Bit harsh. Cancer affects everyone in the family,  and everyone has their own way of dealing with such an overwhelming diagnosis.  Some don't like to talk about it, others find comfort in these forums especially if they don't feel they can talk to the person with cancer. 

Take care 

Jools 

Guest user
Not applicable

I think you need to take a step back. It is not your cancer. 

Angel Eyes 

Secondarysister2

We’re based in Manchester, so she is under The Christie. Its a very good cancer hospital. 

I never let my anxiety or stress come through in front of my mum. Always upbeat and positive. To be honest, my mum puts it to the back of her mind most of the time and cracks on. She is always asking me what type of BC she has! Ha! She hasn’t bothered to research it.

I’m glad she is not letting it dominate her life, but I feel I need to do my research and know what is going on even if she doesn't. 

They are going to see if the cancer has mutated to HER2+ as she was borderline to begin with. If it has mutated, she will go on a trial drug and if not she will go on the E/E combination. 

Thank you for your support! Xxx

Mindy63

My onc told me that the average time for this combo to work was 18 months. So 14 months is not a bad result. Hope this gives you some reassurance.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi, 

I think in some ways The Forum may be adding to your stress. That is why I hoped someone with the more common kind of BC (ER+/PR+, HER2-) would write to you. HER2+ is very specific and follows a more definite treatment protocol. It is also not comparable to your mother's treatment. It would be better if your mother joined this Forum herself. It is impossible for you to effectively act as emotional conduit. 

To be honest, no two SBC cases are the same, even with the exact same diagnosis/age etc at Primary or at Secondary. Just because your mother has not responded as well as you hoped on her first line treatment, does not mean another won't 'take'. I can imagine, given your mother's own anxiety that things are difficult just now. Do you live in London? I know of a few places here you could get counselling or the support of others, maybe other young women going through the same thing. 

Do let me know if I can help. There are other centres dotted around the Country. 

Angel Eyes 🤞

Secondarysister2

No, my mum isnt on the forum, but I’ve found it very comforting and helpful at times. 

However, other times I feel like I compare my mum to others on here which isn't helpful at all.

I think ...”my mum has the same type of BC as so and so with bone mets and they have been living with it for X amount of years or got a long stint on letrozole, so my mum should too.” .... but now my mums first treatment hasnt worked for as long as I’d hoped, it has thrown up a lot of anxiety. 

This forum is a great place to find information, but i’m not sure if I should take a step back if it plays on my anxiety. 

My mum goes to see the doctors tomorrow for a plan B ! I pray we can get her stable again and carry on as ‘normal’ again.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. It means a lot Xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Sounds like you knew the answer all along. 

IIs your mother a member of this Forum rather than you?

Angel Eyes 

Secondarysister2

Thank you for your reply Angel Eyes.

I hope you do well on your new treatment ! I think it stirs up a lot of anxiety when it comes to changing treatments, but I guess it is something we have to get used to and know that changing treatment isn’t necessarily a negative. It means there is another more suitable drug out there!  Xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello, 

I think the short answer is not necessarily. I have been on Herceptin for fourteen months but will shortly move to Kadcyla. I was hoping to get about two years from Herceptin and Perjeta, (now the wonderful Phesgo injection; my  onsultant had said she thought I would get a 'bit longer' than the eighteen month avarage) but... wasn't to be. 😔

I have a friend who managed eighteen months on Herceptin, but then went on to do five years on Kadcyla, (only recently changing to Enhertu.) Must be some sort of record, surely? If you look on this Forum you will see women still alive on ten years plus of first line Herceptin but they tend to be women with small disease in the bones only and are lucky with stability. 

I am sure someone will reply with something to say on ER/PR+. I am HER2+ which is a bit more niche.

Hope this helps anyway.

Angel Eyes 

Secondarysister2

Does the success of first line treatment determine the success of subsequent treatments?

Hi everyone, 

I’m not having much success on my other topic thread, so thought I would try a different angle.

Has anyone had better success with their 2nd, 3rd or subsequent treatments than with their first? Other ladies who have been living with SBC for a long while seem to have had long periods of stability with their first treatments.

My mum has lasted only 14 months on letrozole and ribo before progression in her spine. I was really hoping she would have been on this combo for 2years + and i’m very concerned maybe her cancer will not respond to medications for long stints. 

If anyone could share their experiences I would be very grateful. Thank you!! Xx