Exercise and bone mets

Hi everyone 

I am very unhappy with my weight gain at the moment,I know it should be the last thing on my mind but it’s really making me miserable.

My question is I have a single spine met to my t10 but really want to do some exercise to lose weight.

I currently take Letrozole and Amebliciclib so I’m aware that the medication has a impact on my body.

Any advice would be welcomed xxx

Sending love to all of the Secondary group xxx continue to enjoy life in the present, as life is a gift

Hello Gemini111,

im in a similar position to you, I’m just not happy with my body shape and badly need to loose some weight but I’m finding it difficult.  I have bone mets in T5 and T6 and I’m taking Palbociclib and Letrozole. Before SBC I used to do a lot of yoga but now I find it painful to even lie on a yoga mat!  My yoga teacher has started chair yoga sessions and I’ve found those manageable.  I do as much as I can of the upper body poses and stop if it gets to painful.  I find the chair just helps with a little bit of extra support.  I also try and go for a walk each day, however short.  I can’t manage the long hikes I used to do, but short walks (sometimes with a hiking stick for support) are doable.

I hope you find a form of exercise that suits you.

I have mets in my spine too. I had surgery to fix a fracture cause by a single met at L2.     I walk every day twice a day.  It is the only exercise I do.  I built it up gradually and now really enjoy it. I love being in the fresh air even if it is raining.   I was doing pilates but the surgical team told me not to as my lower spine is now more rigid due to rods and screws put in to fix the fracture.   I do weightwatchers on line and have managed to lose a stone very slowly without being very strict so I still enjoy my food.  It is frustrating sometimes that people except you to lose weight if you have cancer.  Nobody seems to get it that the drugs can make you pile weight on.  The most important thing is feeling well and not stressing, I think.  Love and hugs to everyone xx

Hi

I’m in a similar position, worked hard after primary diagnosis in 2017 to lose chemo kilos and regain fitness, only just started to get to a reasonable weight and good level of fitness (able to walk 40 mins twice a day), when I started to get hip/back/groin pain which turned out to be mets in right hip (Dec 2020) Back to pilling on pounds due to being immobile and in pain plus eating wrong things due to sore mouth/taste changes with Palbociclib. 
I’m getting referred for physio so hoping that helps and gives me some direction on what to do.

Totally agree, people think we have more to worry about than our weight (and we do) and also that cancer patients always lose weight! 

we are all ( I know I am) far too hard on ourselves!  
sending huge hugs

S x 

I have a single mets in my T-9 diagnosed Dec 2019.  Had radiotherapy and now On Ibrance, Letrozole and six monthly Denusomab.  I have been in this treatment since February 2020.  The first year I out in 6kilos on top of 5kilos over my ideal weight.  I found it hard to lose, however, I am finding that now it is coming off.   I am doing WW and intermittent fasting and have already lost 4 kilos. The only exercise I do I see walking.  

If you do no then mind me asking do you still experience heaviness to your back and bearable pain despite treatment?