Frequency of scans with secondary breast cancer.

Hi there 

Hope everyone is managing their treatments well and thriving as best they can. I don’t post very often but always read people’s posts and find them all so helpful. 

Please could I pick your brains…

How often are people having monitoring scans?  I was diagnosed with SBC last July and up to now have been scanned every 3 months. I have a new oncologist who will only scan every 6months. 

Thanks in advance. 
Sharon 

Hi Sharon,

I think scan frequency can depend on the nature of your mets and how stable things are. I have been on three monthly scans for my first year, but they have actually been more like 4/5 monthly because of backlog here. My onc has said I might go onto four monthly if things are stable despite having multiple liver and bone mets! I would be ok with that as I have monthly bloods which provide information too. 
mary

Hi,

I’ve been living with SBC for 6 years. I started with 3 monthly Ct scans, then once the tumour was stable went on to 6 monthly scans.

Hi artygirl. I have my scans every 3 months but wish they were every 4 or 5 months are you stable at the moment can’t understand why you are having 6 monthly scans.

I have CT scans every six months and bone scan every 12 months.