Newly diagnosed with liver mets and suspected spine mets - hope required!

Hi all 

I was diagnosed with breast cancer (grade 3 invasive ductal carcinoma; Hormone negative / HER2 positive) just before Easter and have been having a number of tests since then to investigate a suspicious lump on my liver. I’d been reading a lot of posts on here as I was afraid it would be a secondary cancer - this has today been confirmed.

The cancer has spread to multiple lymph nodes in my under arm, plus one between my heart / liver. I have one larger met on my liver plus around 5 smaller spots, my PET CT has also shown spots in my mid spine - these are not confirmed as cancerous, I’m having an MRI to investigate further on Friday - but with everything else I feel the likelihood is that they are further mets.

I’ve competed my first cycle of chemo and antibodies this week - I’m having Docetaxel, Carboplatin, Herceptin, and Perjeta. Feeling fine so far - side effects yet to take effect.

Plan is a total of 6 cycles over 18 weeks - I’ll then be assessed for further treatment - breast and even liver surgery has not been ruled out, and radiotherapy maybe an option. I’ll remain on the Herceptin and Perjeta longer term.

On a personal level - I’m swinging between doing ok and falling apart. I’m a 33 year old single parent to a wonderful 9 year old son, and I’m frightened at what my future may bring.

The posts I’ve read on here have already filled me with such hope, inspiration, and positivity but I’m in desperate need of some success stories and words of wisdom. 

Thank you for reading!

Rachel x

I couldn’t read your post and not say anything. All the testing and scans are the scary part. I would jump out of my skin when my mobile rang waiting for calls coming from different departments to set up different scans so my heart goes out to you. You are having treatment and sounds like they have a plan going forward in terms of more surgery. There are a lot of new drugs that can be used. I’m sure someone with much more experience than me will be along soon but couldn’t read and not send some words of comfort and massive hug. 

Mangomum xx

Rachel, I’m not am Apples for Apples comparison. I was 41 with primary and 51 with mets to lungs and lymph nodes in chest. I am the opposite of you. Hormone positive and HER 2 -. I have had my mets for 13 1/2 years.  Hang in there! FF

Hi Rachel, just read your post, I am so sorry you are going through this, I remember so well what a stressful time it is waiting for test and scan results. I was diagnosed straight away with secondary breast cancer 5 years ago this month. Mine is also Her2+ It had spread to my liver, spine, ribs and pelvis. I have never had any surgery, after the initial 6 weeks chemotherapy I have had 3 weekly infusions of herceptin and perjecta ever since (just had my 86th) i have 6 monthly CT scans, latest showed no sign of the cancer. I feel very well, have virtually no side effects from the treatment, work and lead life as normal. I hope this helps you feel more positive. I am much older than you and my children are grown up but I understand it must be so much harder if you have young children. You can live many years with the drugs available at the present time and new treatments are being developed all the time. I hope this goes a little way in reassuring you about the future. All the best for the road ahead xx

Hi everyone 

was diagnosed yesterday with liver lung and a bone met. I’m 38 single mum with 3 small children. I’m so scared all I do is cry. I just don’t know how I’m gonna cope ?