Recently diagnosed & just wondering if treatment does get easier

Hi, 

I’ve recently started docetaxel treatment for 18 weeks, having round 1 on the 1st March. I’m also on Psego too. I was tired for the first week & now I’ve started with sickness and severe lack of appetite. I feel really low all the time because I just can’t face eating and I’m wondering, does it get easier? Will my appetite come back? 

Hi

I’m so sorry you too have joined our group but welcome. I’ve no experience of docetaxel but I remember being told that paclitaxel is a gentler treatment and, when I had that for my primary treatment, I was a zombie. That’s not very encouraging for you though. What I can say though is that side effects can be managed and must be reported back, in which case they may reduce the dose. That’s what they did when I started my first line treatment for Stage 4.

Are you taking any medication to line your stomach, something like Lansoprazole or Omeprazole? This is usually essential. You can also help your stomach by lining it with porridge. Then, how are you using the preventative medication the hospital should have provided you with - the anti-emetic and the diarrhoea medication? The anti emetic needs to be taken regularly and daily until you are used to the chemo. This way, it can work as a preventative medication, rather than being used ‘when necessary’, which usually is too late.

Does it get easier? I guess you get used to it rather than it getting easier. Your body will adapt to the drug and things should then be more tolerable. Fatigue is very common. It’s beyond tiredness and, if you have this, you will feel low because really this isn’t how you want to be. If you allow yourself to accept such side effects and go with the flow, it helps a lot. I for instance may have one day when I am active but, once I get home, I collapse with exhaustion and the next day I’m likely to stay in my pjs!

The problem with the taxel treatments is that the side effects need managing carefully. Whether this is by reducing your dose or by preventative medication for the sickness (presumably what you’ve got isn’t good enough) remains to be seen but you can’t have much of a life without some appetite. Weight loss is risky. I had zero appetite and remember living on canned vegetable soup, toast and porridge but the ensuing weight loss (down to 6 st 3lbs!) caused irreversible damage to my tendons, leading to hand, feet and knee problems. I can’t carry a vase of flowers now, my grip is so weak (despite daily exercises). So I would ring your breast care team on Monday and have a conversation about what’s going on. They will advise you on the best course of action. I, for instance, had a referral to the community nutritionist who provided all sort of samples, drinks, soups and desserts, mainly in an attempt to increase my calorie intake when food tasted vile and I had no appetite.

I’m sorry I can’t be more encouraging. Hopefully you’ll get responses from others on docetaxel but the important things are informing the hospital, accepting the fatigue and taking preventative steps to protect your stomach. I hope something here helps you. My mum used to say “Chin up, shoulders back” when I was low (she didn’t believe in being poorly lol) but I have found myself saying this to me on a regular basis. Just don’t put up with horrible symptoms like sickness - get it sorted. I wish you all the best with your treatment. It’s too early to expect results but good luck.

Jan xx