1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCANXIETY!!

bonariensis

Re: SCANXIETY!!

A brilliant result, no change this time round!

LouBoo

Hi Debbie

Thanks for telling us about those books - I shall look them up on Amazon tonight.  Anything to help with a bit of positive thinking will be a great help.  I've been trying to practise a bit of mindfulness, living in the moment, trying not to think too far ahead but enjoy the hear and now.  It's very much easier said than done isn't it, but it does make me appreciate what I've got.

xxx

LouBoo

Hi Carolyn

I really haven't got a clue what the difference is between a CT and PET scan is, I just know I've had them both and also an isotope bone scan as well!!!!  Aren't I lucky!!

So I've googled 'What is a PET Scan', and this was the reply......

PET stands for positron emission tomography. This type of scan can show how body tissues are working, as well as what they look like. PET scanners are very expensive and only a few hospitals in the UK have one. This means that you may have to travel to another hospital for your scan. Not everybody who has cancer will need to have a PET scan.  

A PET scan can help to
  • Show up a cancer
  • Find out the stage of a cancer
  • Show whether a lump is cancer or not
  • Show whether a cancer has spread to other parts of the body
  • Decide the best treatment for your cancer
  • Show how well cancer drug treatment is working
  • Show the difference between scar tissue and active cancer tissue

There is also a PET-CT scan which combines a CT scan and a PET scan into one to give more detailed information about your cancer.

A CT scan takes a series of X-rays from all around your body and uses a computer to put them together. A PET scan uses a very small amount of radioactive drug to show how body tissues are working.

PET-CT scanners tend to be in the major cancer hospitals. So you may have to travel to another hospital if you need to have one. Not everybody who has cancer will need one. Other types of tests and scans may be more suitable.

Bet you're glad you asked now aren't you!!!!

xx

daisyjane181

Hi LouBoo

Thanks for replying.  I agree lives have changed beyond recognition.  Well in respect of taking tablets mine has.  When I saw the oncologist back in May and she said come back in August I thought at the time that's great I can forget about this b......y thing for nearly three months.  But boy have those three months flown by.  I have been reading two great books The Cancer Conqueror and Cancer: 50 essential things to do.  I find them extremely inspirational and very, very positive.  In fact if I get the negative thoughts starting to creep in I sit down and read a few pages and I seem to lift out of the dark mood.  Very interesting techniques explained for visualisation.  Am giving that a go too.  Anything to not let this situation take over.  Back to scanxiety though...I have an appointment for a normal CT scan plus blood tests.  Can anyone explain what things they will be looking for in the bloods?  I am guessing as I have bone mets, they will be looking at the calcium levels.  Anyhow, hope LouBoo and everyone out there has a good day.  I am sitting for my hour after taking my Ibandronic acid tablet then I am off to work for my couple of hours.  Boss is on holiday so I will be wearing my shorts and tee shirt.  Much love to all. Debbie xxx

Carolyn52

Very interesting ff.
I hate the contrast too ..not allergic to it but I get a headache for two days after it.
It's just another bit of damage to already overused veins as most of us can only use one arm because of lymph glands on the original site.
funnyface

Ladies that have a difficult time with veins to get the contrast for the CT's ask if you need the contrast. J have a life threatening allergy to it and have been doing m y CT's without it for almost 11 years now. I was in the hospital back in 2012 and one of the pulmonologist they gave me insisted I have the contrast. After they medicated me for 24 hrs the machine broke...they kept medicating me for another 12 hours til the machine was fixed. I've never had so m y steroids in my life. Then they didnt bring me down off of of it. I soaked the bed with sweat 5x that night. The other partner told me to never let them give me the contrast to monitor the tumors in my lungs. That the picture was fine without it. He said I shouldn't take the risk unless there was an emergency. So I bet most of you don't need the contrast.

Carolyn52

Don't suppose it means you have to drag the cat or dog along does it ?? Ha ha .
Carolyn52

Hiya louboo
Doh being a numpty ..what's the difference between a pet scan and a ct scan then ?
I've had bone scan and ct scans but not a pet one ?
LouBoo

Hi MrsWright and Debbie

Like both of you, I was diagnosed with the double whammy in June and have my first PET scan since then in exactly 4 weeks time.  Can you believe how our lives have changed so drastically in such a relatively short period of time?  I know I can't.  

It's not the thought of the scan that bothers me, it's the wait afterwards.  Having had sooo many tests, and waiting for results, in the last few months, you'd think we'd be getting used to it wouldn't you, but nooooooo!! Dread the thought of this vile 'thing' having spread anywhere.

Here to 'chat' if you ever want to xxx

Carolyn52

Hiya ladies.
No easy way to face them. I get the "scan worry diet"....lots of trips to the loo !! BUT you do loose a bit of weight !!
I went though mine six weeks ago and don't think I can face it all again !!
Hugs ladies xxxx
daisyjane181

Hi Mrs Wright

I know how you feel.  My first CT Scan and bloods since Stage 4 diagnosis (May 2016) are coming up in two weeks time.  Trying really hard not to think about them but my god it's hard.  I am terrified and like you want to run as far away from the hospital as I can.  But go we must.  Anyone got any advice on how to handle this scanxiety.  Debbie x

mrswright87

My first lot of scans are coming up since my stage 4 diagnosis.. i am terrified!! they are not for another 4 weeks but i cant stop thinking about it.. im so scared i feel like i want to just run for the hills.. but obv my cancer will just follow me (how mean!!) i dont know how to deal with this 😞
bonariensis

Thankyou everyone. Yes, the vein problem is another thing!

Carolyn52

Fingers crossed for all scan results for everyone ....
Xxxx
rosie53

Good luck with your MRI today Bonariensis, try and keep those eyes closed and just think happy thoughts, they are not the nicest of scans. I've also got a scan today, my 3 monthly CT so it will be let's hunt for a  vein game!!

Hugs Janette xxxx 

Waffles

Hi Bonariensis,
Hope everything goes well today with your scan and forthcoming results. Enjoy the sunshine. xxx
HelenAquarius

Good luck today bonariensis- MRI scans are so noisy aren't they! Try and focus on something positive whilst in there. Imagine a lovely tranquil happy scene or somewhere you've been before that evokes happy memories.  Or plan a beautiful new house with every detail as if you were an architect! 

Really feel for you and hope everything is stable or better :-)) Good luck and everything crossed for you.

Helen xxx

Carolyn52

All the very best for your results . Big positive vibes for you from everyone. Xx
Shame u have to wait for so.long ..doesn't help the stress levels .

Xxx
bonariensis

I have an MRI scan on my head tomorrow. I have bone mets in my skull and a tumour near my brain stem which may be BC or something else, they can't tell. At the last scan in January it was stable. Fingers crossed for tomorrow, results not for some time. Wish me luck. At least  there is good beach weather right now.

EJ81

Lovely news xxx

Tournesol

Great news Stresshead! Hope you're enjoying your celebrations. Tournesol x

scratch

Hi stress head well done
Enjoy your wine rewards❤ sharonxx
Deedeepuss

Excellent news, chill and enjoy life.

Xxx
Marirose

Stresshead I am so pleased for you. You really needed that news. You deserve to really celebrate ((((hugs)))) xxx
helen44

Great news Stresshead! Really pleased for you.
Good luck to anyone awaiting results.
Love Helen x
Carolyn52

Stress head
You deserve a few vino collapsos at the weekend having such good results.
Whoop whoop
Xxx🍷🍸🍷🍷
stresshead

Thank you for your best wishes....i have had a few more wines than usual and intend to contine over weekend!! x

rosie53

Great news stresshead 👍👍
Hugs janette xx
julzd

Great news stresshead x x
Waffles

Great news Stresshead. I am really pleased for you. xxx
MarionP

yay! That's great news. Hope you are going to celebrate.

stresshead

Have posted on skin mets thread bt just wanted to let you know that my scan news was good.

The onc didnt have a report so he rang the radiologist and took me throgh my scan pioctres himself. He said there was no evidence of any new disease which the radiologistthen confirmed. Tumour markers also decreased so atleast i have a2 month reprieve.

Thank you all for yor thoghts and best wishes.x

Marirose

congratulations Marion great to get good results xxx

scratch

Hi Marion congratulations..im so pleased for you.at the moment iv got a ct scan on 15th..i also usually wait about four weeks for results..my hips and back are bad at the moment so hope nothings changed for me too..take care Sharon.x
MarionP

Four weeks' wait is awful!

My onc is very good at specifying that the scans need to be done just before I see him so I don't usually have to wait more than 8 or 9 days for the results - need to count my blessings. (Although the worst bit is actually once I'm in the waiting room at the hospital!)

Barton

Brilliant news, Marion! Excellent! Keep it up!

I have a CT scan next Monday. Not worried about the scan at all, but it's the results appointment that is totally nerve-wracking. I will have to wait about 4 weeks for mine, until my next Onc appointment.

Hugs. Barton.x

Carolyn52

Positive vibes and loads of hugs stress head we are all thinking of you .

Xxxx
stresshead

Well done Marion.

I am awaiting results and am almost resigned to bad news but you have given me hope. I hope you enjoyed the prossecco!! x

rosie53

Great news Marion.
Hugs Janette xx
Carolyn52

Well done Marion.
Scan results are sometimes more stressful than the disease. .
Good news you are now part of the stable Mabel club.
Hugs xx
nicky08
Community Champion

Great news Marion. Hope you enjoyed your celebratory meal 😊🍾

Nicky x

julzd

Great news Marion 💖💖
Waffles

Hi Marion,
Wonderful news! Enjoy your prosecco and chips. xxx
MarionP

Evening everyone,

Been suffering with scanxiety all week. I feel better than I have for months but that little voice in my head kept telling me 'it's too good to be true'. Well, it was wrong! Saw my onc today and everything's stable. Bought fish and chips and a bottle of prosecco on the way home to celebrate.

Big hugs to everyone else who is waiting on tenterhooks,

Marion

Carolyn52

Thank you stress head
And how are you ?

Xxx
stresshead

Brilliant news Carolyn. xx

Barton

Already said privately, Carolyn, but am so please at your WONDERFUL results! Excellent! Gives hope to us all.

Hugs. Barton.x

EJ81

Really pleased for you Carolyn. Long may it continue xxxx

Marirose

Fantastic news Carolyn long may it continue (((hugs))) xxx

Waffles

Brilliant news Carolyn. I'm really pleased for you. xxx