I had mine done at the Harefield under Professor Anikin. Worth looking up xx

VW nicky

Re: Sternectomy!

Hi EllyH 

how are you doing? X

VW nicky

Hi EllyH

yes I had a sternectomy just over 8 weeks ago. I had a few complications related to my bodies reaction to the op, but the actual operation went really well and they got all the cancer out with good margins. I am recovering really well. Would be happy to answer questions/ share experiences 

x

EllyH

I'm currently waiting to have one! Was scheduled for the 11th November but my bloods were playing up so have had a few investigations first and just waiting for a reschedule. I have a massive tumour on my sternum but my surgeon reassured me that I should do quite well but believe recovery takes a while.

Sternum is a tricky area for radiotherapy because of the heart, I was refused so this is kind of my last try at getting rid of it.

Let me know how you get on

VW nicky

Have just been diagnosed with secondary breast cancer in the sternum and scans shown it is just there so being referred for possible sternectomy if anyone has any info. Thank you

EllyH

It’s not a great op to be fair but my sternum mets are the only thing growing and my liver and lung are both stable. My onc doesn’t really want to take me off Kadcyla and not do I and sadly the radiologist at Marsden says the tumour is positioned in such a way, radiotherapy would be dangerous 😩😩😩

Kindensurprise

I've never heard of that, but would like to know more as I have mets in my sternum.

All the best, Kinden x

EllyH

Yes i remember seeing that now, i'll have to take another look and get in touch! Thanks for reminding me x

Kate21

I believe Jo who runs abcd - after breast cancer diagnosis, had this op., she’s contactable on facebook and twitter

Kate x

EllyH

Sternectomy!

Anyone had this op for sternum mets!