my mastectomy hormone treatment and my husbands stomach cancer.

I had a mastectomy in June and recovered well. I consider myself lucky as I don’t need chemotherapy only hormone treatment. I am suffering with hot, hot flushes frequently and have problems with bowels but I am so stressed with my husbands cancer treatment. It is a terminal illness and at the moment he has had five rounds of radiotherapy to try and shrink the tumour. He wasn’t given anti nausea medicine until today after his final round. The nurse expressed surprise that he hadn’t been prescribed the medicine. A community nurse was supposed to help and to prescribe the anti nausea medicine , arrange a Blue Badge for parking and she did nothing apologising that she had got our messages but she had problems. (Not explained) I know this is not to do with breast cancer but I am so angry and distressed when I see my husband suffering , unable to eat and in pain. I might be taking my anger about  that we both have been diagnosed with Cancer within weeks and want to blame someone. However I have got it off my chest. 

Coralmary,

What you are going through is unbearably hard and feeling upset/anger and distress are not at all surprising. You sound very ‘under supported’ and left alone to find your way - I might be wrong, but its how I feel after reading your post. Hearing that your husband had been left to suffer, at a time when you just want to know he is being given the best care and possibility of life quality is simply awful. Its not acceptable to hear that a community nurse ‘got your messages but had problems’, infact I find that shocking, he/she surely had the opportunity to pass on your issues to someone who could deal with it or at the least get in touch with the hospital team to say they weren’t able to follow their request. I don’t know if you’ve already been in touch with MacMillan and asked for their support …here is the ‘support page’ that offers options for you to consider.

macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/get-help

Of course coming on here and chatting on here is part of you reaching out (and please don’t stop doing it :slightly_smiling_face: !) but it just feels like your husband needs something more practical, some assistance with advocacy that a more general cancer charity can provide, lifting a little of the weight from you.

Bless you it sounds lole you have a lot going on… I hope you get th help you need xx