Anyone who can help please?

Hello,

My mother a few weeks ago got an all clear from her doctor regarding the breast cancer she had 5 years ago, we were all thrilled. She started getting a pain in her back, not directly on her spine but to the side, for a while everyone, even the doctors assumed it was muscular, but because of her history they  sent her for a CT Scan but said that there was 2 lumps or cysts on 2 of her vertebrae, but we are all confused at and upset as she had had bloods done recently and they were fine, she was given the all clear, so could it be breast cancer that has spread to her back/bones or something less threatening? I’ve been reading and it says it can’t be cured but can be managed but how long for? Anyone who has been through or knows anything similar please could let me know, thank you

Rachael

Hi Rachael I think the doctors are able to differentiate between secondary metastasis or harmless cysts/ benign tumours on a scan however if you are still worried you are entitled to question the doctors about how they came to that diagnosis. If you aren’t happy then request a second opinion.

Unfortunately for me my mum went to the doctors 6 times complaining of aches and pains and loss off appetite and 5 months later we have discovered she has secondaries to her bones, liver and lungs. Be firm with the doctors and question them and if in doubt demand a second opinion.

Gemma

Hello Rachael,
I don’t know if it’s the same, but my mum was cleared in march 2012 until Feb this year when I arrived at their house to find her unable to walk properly, speech affected, swallowing and blinking gone.
They called in meningitis for a long time, mum still does, but ultimately it’s brain/spine cancer. Little lesions peppering her spinal cord and base of her base. Have a look at carcinomataous meningitis and see if you think it fits your Mums symptoms.
My mum has been stable for a few months now and out of hospital for one, after 3 months in.
Apparently she is responding very very slowly to the chemo - heceptin and projaxil - but from the Outside it’s hard to see any improvements.
I hope they have caught whatever your mum has early, it sounds like they might have if she just has pain at the moment. Surgery is possible as long as the lesions are outside of the spinal cord.
Just keep a close eye on her, my mum went from normal at Christmas to seriously seriously I’ll in 5 weeks.
Keep me posted, I will look out for you.
S x