Feeling very worried for Mum

Hi everyone,

I ve been reading your posts for about 18 months and it has given me great comfort but this is my first post. It is good to know that the people on the family thread are feeling the same emotions as me as a daughter of someone who has cancer. My mum was diagnosed in Feb 2013 with grade 3 HER2 cancer with lumpectomy, axillary node clearance, chemo for 6 months, rads and Herceptin. It was a tough old journey but she approached it was complete positivity and dignity she was amazing. We at times felt completely helpless but I’m a practical person and liked to ‘do’ things like cooking, cleaning, dog walking etc which I can highly recommend as it makes you feel a bit better and helps out your Mum. The bit I’m completely scared about is that in July (2014) she had finished all her treatment and we were so happy and relieved for her. Then about 2 weeks ago she developed chest pain, breathing difficulties and a dry cough and she is presently in hospital and has had an awful load of tests, including biopsy of her lungs. It is such a blow when we’ve only just had good news that now her Oncologist is thinking about secondaries. I can’t bear to think of that option but I’m filled with worry as I’m an only child and live a long way a way. How would I balance keeping my job going and helping Mum, if it is not the news we are hoping for, please could any family members advise me how they managed that and kept a full time job going? It’s just I want to do everything possible for her to support and help. If I can share any of my experiences in the last 18 months to others I would be very willing to do so. Thanks all xx

Hello Damson31

Welcome to the forums, I’m pleased that you are finding the forums helpful.

Whilst waiting for replies to your post maybe you would like to give our free helpline a call where the staff can offer practical information as well as emotional support. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

My mum has had the all clear on the secondary cancer so feeling very happy about that! :slight_smile:

Thank you very much! X