Helping from far away..

Hi All, 

My Mum was diagnosed with Breast Cancer last month (Stage 2a) and will shortly be starting chemotherapy. Of course I want to help and support her in any way I can, but I have the slight complication on living 10,000 miles from her - she is at home in England, and I’m currently living in Australia. 

Finding out about my Mum whilst being so far away was really hard, but I’m so grateful that she’s receiving great care and has an excellent prognosis. This looks to be a lovely forum of support for us all. 

My Mum’s Chemotherapy is going to start in 2 weeks, and will be every 3 weeks. I’m planning to send her things to coincide with each treatment, almost as mini milestones - to keep her spirits up and let her know that I’m thinking of her. I’ve thought of things like postcards and letters, and photos, maybe a magazine subscription… to give her something to look at while she’s receiving the treatment. 

I wondered if anyone could recommend anything that would be particulalrly nice to receive during chemo? Preferably things that can be sent in the post, or ordered in the UK for delivery…! All ideas are welcome though, as I can get my Dad and Brother to get things locally if necessary!

Thanks for reading, and please let me know if I’m better off posting this somewhere else :slight_smile:

And before I sign off, here’s a huge <<<<HUG>>>>> for anyone who needs one today x

‘Roo’ x

Hi Roo18

Welcome to the BCC forums.  I’m sure some of the users will be a long soon to offer you their support and ideas.  In the meantime if you need to talk through anything about your Mum’s diagnosis please do give the helpline a call on (+44) 2076 200 077.  Here you can share any of your thorughts or concerns with someone who will offer you a listening ear as well as support and information.  Lines are open Monday to Friday 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator 

What a lovely thought.

Some nice hand lotion or body lotion would be welcome as chemo can make skin dry. Maybe starburst or pineapple sweets as the mouth can get dry and taste can be affected. A magazine subscription is a great idea. Books of course if she likes to read, or an amazon voucher to buy kindle books.

The online bookstore voucher idea is an amazing one actually. If your Mom loves reading then it would be definitely perfect gift. Just as lotion or other non invasive cosmetics which would show her than no matter what happens she is beautiful and loved so much.

Hi Roo,

Sorry to hear about your Mum but it sounds like you’re being so positive which is awesome! My Mum was diagnosed last year. What a lovely thought to send her nice things I’m sure that would really give her a fantastic boost. Does she have a kindle or enjoy music? What about iTunes or audio books to listen to to take her mind off things. My mum enjoyed jellied sweets, ginger flavours and sparkley flavoured waters. She didn’t like the smell of flowers or strong scented things as it made her nausea worse. She liked magazines but not books so much as she could just look at the pics in mags! You probably already do but you could send her happy photos of the things you have been up to as a divergence and the more light hearted the better! I also got my mum a nice blanket for when she feels cold (still has it on her bed) and a cuddly toy for when she felt scared ( still has it next to the bed!) hope these few ideas help and all the very best to you and your family! Thanks for the hug I needed one today! Xx

All the very best, hope all goes well. Let us know if we can be of further support xx :slight_smile: