Supporting my friend

Hi
My best friend told me Saturday that she has been diagnosed with breast cancer. I Sam going along with her tomorrow for her appointment with “the team” and get the plan of action. My friend is an a extremely strong positive person, and I want to be the same whilst supporting her. I’m feel so priviledged to be asked to support her with this. She says she just wants me to be there and smile at her!! What can I do to stay strong and support her through all of this. We are both very positive and are looking at this as yet another hurdle to get through in life, but its a scary time. X

Hi Dib
Take your cue from her. She obviously trusts you and knows you very well, just as you know her. Just be you and let her be her. What will be really important is to talk with her before the appointment to find out what questions she wants to ask, write them down then keep an ear for the ones she asks, note down the responses and remind her of the ones she forgets! You get so much information you only take a small amount in - you rely on your supporter to be your ears and get the rest of it.
Good luck with the appointment - you are going to be a huge support to her.
Kahren

Hi
All my friends are under strict instructions not to cry or be sad as I am not dying, I have a condition that needs treatment so maybe try to think like that about your friend. One friend who insisted on coming with me to the biopsy results even though I wanted to go alone was told that she could only come in if she promised not to break down. Its important to stay positive for her and just be there to listen mainly. You are obviously a very special friend to have been chosen so just be yourself. Xx
Steph

Thanks for the replies ladies. We went for the appointment today, and the news was as predicted by the consultant last week. My friend has a grade 2 carcenoma, some areas of calcification and unfortunately it has spread to the lymph nodes. Another biopsy to be done next week to determine what the calcification is and if its also cancerous. Not great news but a very positive appointment. she has a very supportive team that will look after her. Surgery is the next step in 3 weeks. We are very positive about this and although we know its going to be a tough ride, we are certain that she will be ok in the end. She is impressed at the news that she gets a free tummy tuck when she has the reconstruction surgery!! Thanks for listening.