Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AXILLARY NODE CLEARANCE

88 REPLIES 88
Gelbel

Re: AXILLARY NODE CLEARANCE

Hi @HappyVibes / Rose

Glad to see youre seeing light at the end of the tunnel. The op's OK. Little bit sore the past few days - bit more knitting together I expect. I'll call my breast nurse in a few days just to check. I've a fitting for a proper prosthetic on 17 March.

Chemo doable - main side effect for me is awful jet lag whooziness days 4-7, with day 6 being horrid. By day 8, I was just about back to me. The hair loss was upsetting even though I was expecting it. I got my hair dresser round to do a level 4 clipper/buzz cut and I'm much happier for it, especially with my blue rooted, silver blonde sided wigs that my hair dresser joozed up with some layers. Need to get some courage to wear them out - thank goodness for lockdown eh?

Had a bit of nausea, probably more mind over matter and nothing the tablets I've been given can't stop.

Thanks for asking. 🤗

Love AnGELa xxx

yjj

Hello sweets x how are you boob buddy?? How’s things in the family? I know you’ve been quiet so I’m assuming not fab - been thinking of you and always up for a chat if it would help xx

the sunburnt sensation is easing up.. hope yours is too? My seroma has started to behave itself at long last. I have some cording in armpit and it’s lumpy which is apparently this extra muscle that I had (I’m very special...you see) 🤓 or part have now. Licap wound is healing really well ... phew

got results today!! I scored 17 on onco DX test so a 7-9% chance of recurrence which is deemed too low to go through chemo. So it’s straight onto Letrozole and RT. I have mixed feelings, obvs I’m pleased it’s low but the nagging doubt of any floaters hanging about not being chemoed will be present for a while I think... who knows on this non stop fun!

are you on any anti hormone drugs?

keep the pecker up and keep in touch xxx

HappyVibes

Hi @Gelbel 

Happy Monday 🤗

So glad to hear your seroma has almost gone and you're able to wear your lovely Valentine's bra! Lovely to feel you're getting your body back isn't it. I still have a small one going, but it has been drained 5 times and they want to leave it alone now to resolve naturally. My scar also not so sore now so everything moving in the right direction. I think you just have to have a bit of patience while your body is getting over the shock and adapting to the changes.

I hope your chemo is going ok and not battering you too hard.

Sending love and hugs, Rose, xxx

HappyVibes

Hi @yjj 

Happy Monday!

Hope that horrible burning sensation is subsiding and the seroma not filling up so much since your last post.

My burning is still there but seems to get better each day. I think gentle brushing and massaging definitely helps with nerve repair and desensitisation. I had my seroma drained again last week for the 5th time! They want to leave it now for my body to reabsorb the remaining fluid on its own. I won't be able to have my radiotherapy till it is gone, but the nurse said they do a scan of your chest before the treatment and if there is any residual fluid there they will drain it using ultrasound. Still waiting for an appointment from them so hopefully the seroma will be gone by the time it comes through - will keep you posted.

My surgeon also doesn't use drains.

How did your appointment go about your treatment plan?

Sending big hug and best wishes as always, Rose xxx

yjj

Hello x

all good here, glad it’s getting smaller!! I think tbh that the waiting in this particularly rubbish game that none of us want to be a part of, is the worst part! The uncertainty is awful and the inner voice competition seems to side with doom. It’s a proper journey and one which needs a lot of stoicism!!

im hoping for my treatment plan tomo so we will see if all results are back so that can be informed decision making

good luck for 4th, it’s not too far away xx

Elsie1935

Hello. 

It does seem to be getting smaller, just a little hard under the scar.

My meeting with the oncologist has been delayed a week, now 4th March.  It's horrible waiting isn't it?

Thanks, hope you're all ok?

Elsie x

yjj

Hi Elsie

hows your scar tenderness?  It might be a haematoma, I had one and had to be drained and then taken out at next surgery or maybe just scar tissue. Let me know how you get on and hope you feel ok xx

Gelbel

Aw @HappyVibes/Rose, so sorry that you're having a bad time with your seroma Rose. My balloon is nearly flat. There is a little 'knot' at the breast bone end of my scar and the side boob is still there but less. I am in a proper bra this week - one of the lovely ones my hubby bought for Valentine's day. It was a bit snug on day 1 but I really think that helps with the draining and today it's not smarting on my scar, which has been a bit red and bruised above as I may be a bit too rigorous with the massaging!

Flipping heck - bet that's cheering you up no end... not Sorry. 🙁

I do hope you seroma stops filling up soon. I'd say enough - what's plan B.

Have a good weekend.
Love
AnGELa x

yjj

Hi Elsie - hope you got to make your decision and feel settled with it? Where are you up to lovely ? XX 

yjj

Hi Rose

So sorry you have had bad family news, it’s seems to be one thing after another right now.   I think I will be joining you on a seroma thread, mine fills up too and it’s a right pain in the backside ... well armpit in my case!  The burning sensation continues too, no idea how long that goes on for either. I’m using a body brush in the shower on my arm... obv very gentle on the underside but thought it might help draining and physio agreed. Get my treatment plan next week

no drain after my op - surgeon seems to be anti drain!!

hope you are okay rose - here if you want to chat anytime lovely xx. Let me know re seroma thread!

Elsie1935

Hello 

Thank you for the lovely message. That draining sounds draining!! Next Thursday I see the oncologist,  so I'll update you all on what the outcome is.

Advice please.

Under the scar from lumpectomy (4 weeks now since op) on my boob, it's very hard. A little tender. Is that normal?

HappyVibes

@Elsie1935 @yjj @Gelbel @Anniej @Kitkat23 

Hi Girls, sorry I’ve been so rubbish at keeping up with this thread, aside from not feeling great this last week, I also had some other very upsetting family news.

First of all, Hello Elsie, I’m glad you found the thread helpful and that you’ve had support from the lovely girls here. Like @yjj I wasn’t offered the choice of RT only, so assumed as our treatment plans are discussed by our MDTs, they decided Full ANC was right for me. I think it can also depend on what kind of cancer you have. Also there was Extra Capsular Spread in my affected node, so I don’t know whether that made a difference. On reflection I wish I had asked more questions as @Kitkat23 did, and would advise anyone new to this thread to do so. Hope the appointment with your Oncologist clarifies things for you and helps you make the right decision for you.

My seroma was drained for the third time last Thursday, another 310ml, but by Friday night it had filled up again and is as uncomfortable and achy as ever. My breast is now swollen too, and the areola hard to the tough and stinging. I have another appointment this Thursday to get it drained for the fourth time! Wondering how long this goes on for. I think I’ll start another thread about the seroma to get some info on other people’s experiences dealing with seromas that take a long time to settle down. 

Still got pain in my upper arm when I stretch up and the skin still has the burnt sensation but that seems to be receding a little day by day, making the massaging that bit easier.

On the subject of seromas @Gelbel how’s your puckered old balloon? 😂 I hope you’re coping ok with the chemo. If that hasn’t been making you feel terrible, I expect the last test match did, talk about going from the sublime to the ridiculous! Let’s hope they find their form again for the third test. 🙏

@yjj So relieved you got good news on the margins, liver and nodes, and by now your LICAP surgery will be done. Hope it all went smoothly and you’re not in too much pain/discomfort. If you have a drain, hopefully that will also drain off the seroma at the same time.

Sending love to you all and big fat hugs, Rose xxx

Elsie1935

Dear yjj

Thanks for your support.  Not made decision yet. Got an appointment through to speak to oncologist for further info. Its mind blowing isn't it.

X

yjj

Hi Elsie - it’s pants having to make these decisions isn’t it. I didn’t have the axilla choice to make  but I had to choose between lumpectomy or mastectomy. Someone recommended making a pros and cons list for the options which I found really useful as it forces some research and informed decisions. It’s still a tough call as we aren’t medically trained and I know I deliberated for quite a while. I think I read somewhere that in USA radiation only is the preferred route nowadays with little difference in overall outcome. I feel for you as it’s a minefield making the decision especially when you are likely to be in some unusual kind of emotional stress.   So hope you make the decision soon and then you can move onto next step - 1 day (or for me, 1 hour!!) at a time

i had full clearance with second go at lumpectomy for margins but wasn’t offered a choice for RT only. 
good luck with decision making. You’ve got this chick xx

yjj

Sorry gel, I think our posts crossed in the ether. I’ve read a bit about chemo brain and my ex suffers this. He also gets the spaced out feeling, it’s all such a joy this malarkey. I’d say sod the cooking, I hate it at the best of times 

I’m getting onco DX testing to see if my oestrogen receptiveness is suitable for chemo or not. You’re boo hiss made me smile, I know it wasn’t intentional but it ironically made me grin. Tbh, like Rose I think I’d rather go thru it than not but maybe I’m just an overflapper.  And I’m exceptionally good at flapping

hows the snow? I was up the cloud with pooch when a rather large flurry came out of nowhere yesterday!! Where are you having your treatment - locally or Christie?

yjj

Hello peeps  and welcome newbies, sorry you are here but you will get the emotional support that we all need xx

im just back from my appt... finally got some good news with clear margins and only 2/21 lymph affected... but they are out now and boob man says they are insignificant. Had mri on liver and that is also clear. Got reconstruction with LICAP on Monday. 
thank you for all your love and support, it’s been a hell of a ride since Xmas eve!! I will join you on the bubbles Rose x

Seroma drained but already filling up... sounds like a common sing song problem

good luck to those with appts and procedures, strap the big girls pants on and let’s go lovelies xx

Gelbel

@HappyVibes - steroma still going down. As I just explained to my mum, it's like when you touch a very old balloon that's on its way out - that puckering you get. As it's going down, I can wait til the BCN next calls, ahead of my next cycle.

I had to call my onc ward as the whoozy/spaced out is not improving and I actually feel a bit unsafe cooking in the kitchen. My BP is actually its usual self, perhaps a tiny bit low. Seems it's all totally normal and is chemo brain. I don't think my usual bit of tinnitus is helping. It will more likely settle down in a few days/over the weekend. The sister suggested I think on weeks and a half rather than three separate weeks between cycles. So yes, every 3 weeks while in EC.

Oh well. Nothing you'll need to experience - hurrah. 👊 I do mean that nicely as I hope that's not come across as boo hiss, bitter. 😃 

Love

AnGELa x

HappyVibes

Thanks @Gelbel @yjj I did celebrate - opened a bottle of Champagne and had a couple of glasses. Don’t really drink much these days but I was feeling so shaky I thought it would calm me down, which it did 😊

Had a few tears of relief when my surgeon told me the other nodes were clear and I didn’t need chemo, but I must admit to a slight fear now that not having it might risk missing a stray cell. You have to trust your surgeon though and I have confidence in mine.

Angela,  hope your BP has stabilised and the nausea is under control. Are you having your treatment every 3 weeks? Glad the cording has gone, but the seroma hardening doesn’t sound great. Mine was drained again last Friday, another 360ml - did I already mention this, but it was filling up again before I even got home and is the size of a Jaffa again 😣. I’ve got an appointment at the clinic tomorrow to have it aspirated again. Still got full stretch in my arm, but it is still quite painful to do that, and the sunburn sensation is still there, though I thought this morning it felt slightly less sensitive.

@yjj How did your review with your consultant go and the MRI/Node results? Thinking of you and hoping you got good news.

Big hugs to you both, love Rose xx

Elsie1935

Thank you so much for your response. It means a lot just to have someone who's been through it to talk to.

I will continue with my fact gathering. 

Anniej
Community Champion

Hi Elsie, welcome to the club. My go- to mode during my treatment was to look whichever consultant it was in the eye, reach out a hand and ask the question......if I was your mother/ wife/ sister/ daughter what would you recommend ? Always, always got a good , honest response, which then helped shape my decision. They know your pathology so should be able to advise. Good luck. Ann x

Kitkat23

I should say.....the evidence I found FROM MY PERSPECTIVE AND PARTICULAR PATHOLOGY RESULTS....... obviously yours will be different to mine and therefore you will interpret the evidence according to you.... Sorry just wanted to clarify my previous post😀

Kitkat23

Hi Elsie 

ANCs used to be done as a matter of course even for non invasive BCs , and whilst they are still seen as essential for many , there’s quite a lot of recent research on the internet about ANC & radiotherapy solely to the breast V no further removal of nodes & radiotherapy to breast and also axillla and supra fossa....  if you are going to google the evidence then do it via google scholar so you don’t end up looking at non bona fida, misleading ‘evidence’.... my surgeon provided starting points for me to research this..... the evidence seems to suggest that there is no real difference in outcomes with regard to mortality rates..... I had one positive node found from SNB, which had not been visible on scans and it was sugggested that, for me, it would be a better option to to have the extra radiotherapy but no ANC , given my pathology and as this would also reduce the risk of lymphedema .......  I had to have the 15 sessions of rads compared to the fast forward 5 sessions that many are having since Covid , but those 3 weeks flew over...... I’m all done now and have been lucky to have had no side effects. Have a chat with your BCN , who can talk you through your own pathology results and weigh up risks/benefits with you, and look at some of the research then you will be able to make an informed choice. Hope all goes well for you

Gelbel

Hiya @Elsie1935 sorry that you've had to join us. The good news is that you're in the most caring, supportive place as you move through treatment.

TBH I'd ask question after question after question of your surgeon and breast care nurse to help you make the decision. Things like chance of reoccurrence with removal v not? Surgeons are not great at answering what wou ld you do if it was you, your mum, sister, wife etc. They do tend to leave the decision to you so you need all the information you can get to make that informed choice.

Hope that's helped a bit and you get all the information you need.

Gel x

Elsie1935

Hello ladies

I am new to this site.  I have recently (15 days ago) had a lumpectomy, and cancer was found in 2 of the 6 sentinel lymph nodes that were removed at the same time.  I now have to make a decision on whether to have the rest of the lymph nodes removed, or just to go for radiotheraphy.

I have found it very useful reading your blog (hope you don't mind?)

I'm trying to stay open minded and make an informed decision. I would be grateful for any thoughts ladies

Thanks x

yjj

Hey peeps x yay congrats to rose, fabulous news. So hope you are celebrating!

gel - glad you have cracked on with chemo and it all feels doable ... well done to you too! 
Just back from 5 miles with pooch... thought I might need a sling at one point but I survived. Think it’s chilling for rest of the day. I’ve now got my MRI on Monday morning and full review with consultant on weds pm. Hoping I will know about lymph and liver then

enjoy your Sunday’s lovely ladies xxxx

Gelbel

That's fabulous news Rose.♥️👏🤗 I hope you have a little (big?) celebration. 🍫🍰🍷

I'm fine - bit spaced our from low BP from the anti-sickness brick from yesterday, could feel everso slightly nauseous though I think it's mind over matter as I'm not aware of it when doing stuff. So far, so good. Long may it continue - though I have my head around managing grotty days. Hubby has Crohns so rarely feels top notch - think I can do a few days, every 3 weeks for a few months.

My ANC arm has full movement back.👍And the slight cording has gone. Seroma going very slowly but slightly hardening. It's gone from under my scar and as it's still above, I look like a muscle man flexing his pecks. 😮 Will call the BCNs on Monday.

Enjoy your weekend. I'm now ensconced on the sofa for the rest of the afternoon for the rugby. 🏉 After a morning of cricket. 🏏 

Love

AnGELa x

HappyVibes

@Gelbel @yjj 

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you both, I had a problem with authentication of my post so I had to contact the forum admin and get their help.

Anyway, all sorted and I’m happy to say it was good news for me, 15 nodes taken and all clear, so no chemotherapy needed and I’ll just have radiotherapy later this month when the seroma has completely gone. They drained off another 360ml yesterday but it’s filling up again already so it might be a few weeks yet till I can start it. Looks like I’ll have to go back on Monday and then I’ve got an appointment to have it checked again on Thursday 11th anyway. Hoping it will settle down soon.

I explained why I didn’t want to take Letrozole so they have prescribed Tamoxifen for me to see if my body tolerates that and I’m being referred on to the Oncologist now. We shall see.

@Gelbel  I hope your chemo went smoothly yesterday and it doesn’t hit you too hard when it kicks in. 

@yjj An extra chest muscle! Thank goodness your surgeon was familiar with that and was able to get full clearance. Sorry to hear about the node on your liver, it’s understandable you’re freaking out again, but try not to worry, it’s good they think it’s benign but are being thorough in getting it investigated to make sure. I hope you don’t have to wait too long for the MRI.

Sending a big hug to both of you and I’ll be keeping you in my thoughts.

Love Rose xxx

Gelbel

Sorry I didn't send good wishes @HappyVibes. Had a domestic ahead of yesterday's pre-assessment that lasted all day and was first cycle early this am.

Hope it's all good news.

@yjj 🤞 your scan is simply a tick-box exercise.

Best wishes to you both for a calming weekend.

Love

Gel x

HappyVibes

Morning @yjj 

Just on my way now for 11am appointment. 
Will get back to you later. Xx

yjj

Big day for you tomo Rose x good luck, what time is your appt xx

yjj

Help peeps x I’m home. Surgery done I’m 1 in 100 with an extra chest muscle but my surgeon lectures in this issue so was v lucky to get full clearance. Re excision done. Ct showed a node on liver- they think it’s benign but got to have an MRI. Needless to say am freaked to hell and back but hoping for scan fast
hope all are okay. I’m off to breathe... xx

HappyVibes

Hope you’re ok @yjj I’m thinking of you xx

yjj

I’m just waiting Delly!! And anxious.  They said half past but I can’t see that happening 

im in Sandbach so we are close!!

will ping later, ty xx

yjj

Thank you. Just waiting and waiting tho they say it will be 130.  It’s 10 past and not seen a surgeon yet

no results yet either.  Aaagghhh

ty for the messages xx

Gelbel

Sorry I am a bit later - good luck today @yjj 🤗

@HappyVibes - I am sure you'll be fine. 🤞 I hope you are more comfortable today. I've 3 x EC and 3 Docetaxel so last one is due 21 May (with the eughh days after). So summer is very much on in the Gel household. In fact, if we have a good spring I am going to be very lazy with work. Not that I'll be able to pig roast in it as I usually do.

Hope to hear all your good news soon.

Gel xx

HappyVibes

Morning YJJ 🙌

Op day for you so you may not see this till later. We’re all thinking of you and hope it goes well.

Oh my ...... awful for you to be caught out on your walk, you poor thing! I had a radioactive injection for my bone scan but fortunately had no side effects.

I’m feeling calm at the moment about my results, but come Friday I may well be on the ceiling haha!

I know what you mean about the loneliness in spite of having the support of friends and family. I too find this forum very comforting and am so grateful for the response here. It definitely brings new meaning to the term “Bosom Pals”. Ha, I might start a blog with that as the title!

Praying that you got the all clear on the CT scan and that today’s surgery will be the last one.

Wishing you a speedy recovery, big hug, Rose xxx

HappyVibes

Morning Delly 🙌

Hahaha, Doolalliarbytheday, great hashtag 😂

I had the burning sensation on my boob after the lumpectomy/snb but this feels a lot worse, possibly because the seroma, which is very large, is constantly pressing against the skin and irritating it. I know it goes away in time so not worrying about it, just very uncomfortable. The Physio did give me the exercises and I’ve been doing them regularly, although yesterday I gave everything a miss because the seroma was getting bigger and I wondered whether I was overdoing it and exacerbating the problem. They’re going to give it a second draining on Friday when I go for my results so I’m hoping like yours, that will take care of it and it will stay away.

There’s no obvious sign of cording at the moment, but I’m assuming that is what’s causing the painful tightening in my arm, It really hurts to press my arm too when I’m massaging it, but as you say, it’s worth it to afford the complications.

Thanks again for responding, have a lovely day.

Rose xxx

HappyVibes

Morning Gelbel 🙌

Ha!, not just any orange, as M&S would say, it’s turned into a Giant Jaffa! Never one to do anything by halves hahaha. My boobs are on the small side so easier to go braless, but also the seroma is directly under my arm at the side of my boob so the bra wouldn’t hold it in place, just cut into it and my scar - Meh!

I think it’s good to get your hair cut shorter before you start your chemo, maybe slightly less traumatising to see short strands falling, though still a blow psychologically I know. 

I’m massaging my arm as you said, using an Arnica, Comfrey and Calendular Balm. It’s hard to do because whatever it is that’s going on beneath the skin, in the tissues, is painful as well as the skin feeling sore. Still I know it will be helping so I keep doing it.

I’m glad you’re feeling less frightened about the chemo now. I shall focus my thoughts on you on Friday and send happy, healing, positive vibes to you. This will also help distract me from my own anxiety about my results. My appointment is at 11 so I won’t have long to dwell on it when I wake up on Friday morning.

How many cycles of chemo are planned for you? Would be lovely if all your treatment is finished by the start of Summer.

All the girls on here will be holding your hand on Friday, but till then, big hugs. Xxx

delly

Yjj  -  Hi again. I hope everything went well for you today, that you're comfey and being well looked after. Are you likely to be in a few days?? Or maybe that depends on how you're doing. Hope you're home soon.

Speedy healing thoughts and love,  Delly  xx❤️xx

delly

Yjj  -  Hi. It's okay. I was just about to repeat my "water" question, when your last post sprung up.

Heck, what a gawd-awful experience with your Barium diarrhoea accident. Yes, it would have to happen AWAY from home too. I had such an accident, wasn't due to Barium, but a nasty stomach bug. I've never felt sooo embarrassed about anything in my life.  I'm not understanding, you'd "love MY approach"?? what approach are you meaning, darlin'??  Hope your walk does you some good, calms you down a bit. We've the most gorgeous morning here in Macclesfield, NE Cheshire.  I sooo hope your op is EARLY Yjj, so you aren't fretting for very long once you're there.  I DO feel for you.   Lots of love, Dellypoos  x❤️x❤️x  

yjj

Hi Delly - sorry I didn’t see your post till I had posted. Nor some of the others...strange but I can’t work these forums!  Yes re fill cavity with water and stitch up, it’s temp till he gets margin results and means he doesn’t create more surgery (taking the LICAP flap as stuffing for the recon) if margins are crap again. I have “invisible DCIS” - typical me, so they can’t see it on scans or in theatre it shows in histology. Tbf I think a mastectomy would be more sensible and I’m know flapping about invisible invaders in other breast. What’s life without sheer terror and panic, I can’t bloody remember and this is only since Christmas!!

im going to need gel’s hairdresser too if I have to go down chemo road!  Que sera sera is the only option we have - panic, stress, terror etc will not change a thing. I’m learning to accept this slowly, it doesn’t stop the panic but I’m trying to be more “mindful”. I’d love your approach Delly xx. With that said I’m going to head off and freak about my ct results and theatre tomo a bit more

big big hugs xxxx

yjj

Hello Gel and Rose x thanks for the lovely replies. I too had the sunburn scalded sensation and I was told it’s the nerves healing. Would be handy to be told this before I think!  I think we must all be soggy panicky messes on this journey, as you say the waiting for results is just the worst part. Unfortunately my lovely new BCN said my surgeon would phone with results Fri night after scan. Tbf it was v late by the time it was over - crap radiologist could not get cannula in for love nor money. This stressed me out as I was feeling panicky ( no I know not me surely?!) anyway and wanted it over with ASAP. Anyway he hasn’t phoned since so obv brain in full meltdown thinking it’s bad.   I can only wait, I will see him tomo as going in for op. I could phone the BCN but if she says he’s talking to me about it tomo I think I won’t cope with waiting.... eek. I’m terrified again

i had unfortunate after effects as a reaction to the barium or iodine - non warning non controlled diarrhoea 😫 once at home so manageable but second time I was on a dog walk, 2 miles from my car...omg!!!!! Obv I thought it was over or would’ve never moved from safety of home! My goodness it was awful!!

im sure you are on the ceiling re histology results Rose. Not many days till then. I’m like you with positive sentinel nodes and thinking it’s gone further - hence the ct. I have heard elsewhere and I try to focus on the fact that lymph is our guardian, catching nasties for us. It’s just impossible wondering what has wandered off in your body. I have times of feeling trapped in my own skin which is very weird indeed. A bit like me perhaps!  It’s lonely too this journey, of course we have families and friends ( who mostly say the wrong things- I know you will be okay, I promise you will get over this etc) and we have our virtual buddies in these forums which I couldn’t cope without, but it’s us in our bodies and I find that lonely in another weirdo way!!

im going to move my bum ladies, take pooch out in the frosty sunshine - hopefully clean and accident free!! Then packing for tomo - eek eek eek. Breathe you stupid girl, breathe

ciao for now beautiful ladies xxx

delly

Hi ladies

am just catching up with you, after a few days off Forum. I'm loving your abfab support to each other.

Happyvibes  -  Your "burning" sensation, yes, likely to be due the disturbance and subsequent irritation to your tiny nerves and endings taking a battering from the surgery. Plus your cording. Is it from armpit  down your arm? Have you seen the hosp Physio for specific exercises for it. If not, you need to. Ask your BCN to refer you. They'll give you specific s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g (!!) exercises to do, which are "ouchy" to begin with, but worth it. Mine responded very quickly, made a huge difference. Had to have my first mast seroma drained twice before it behaved and stayed away! ❤️

Yjj  -  Am not understanding "fill cavity with "water"(??) and stitch up"?   Yeh, I too hope all goes well for you on Tuesday. ❤️

Gelbel  -  My dear Gel, I'm greatly admiring your "Gung Ho" attitude ref your chemo (worry about it as and when) and hairdresser. I'm cetainly not gonna to report you😆 You go for it gal/gel!!  Just gonna catch up on the "surgery" thread. Been saving it till last tonight. ❤️

Lotsa love, DoolallierbythedayDelly   xxxxxx  

Gelbel

Hi Rose, 

Aw it's horrid that your seroma is being a pain. A tennis ball? Wow, thought my satsuma was going some. Hopefully it and your aches and pains will turn a corner very soon. 🤗

My seroma started to abate on Friday. I've a little cording into my armpit from the fold at the top (if that makes sense). The only burning feeling now is the upper inner bicep, pit and a bit of my chest at the top of where my boob was. I'm actually more comfy in a bra - the Asda front opening mastectomy bras are good as they have 2 rows of hooks and eyes for swellier/non-swllier days and are fairly low in the pit area. Not too brilliant for me as I am tall. I like wearing one because I feel it holds the seroma - perhaps helping to compress it? This from someone who'd go without as much as possible despite being a DD! 

I bought a zip up sports bra from them yesterday. Oh my, as it has adjustable straps it's wonderful. Worth giving either styles a try? You can always send them back. Go at least one back size bigger as I find their bra sizing small. I just wish they did more beige ones. 

I've made my massage a treat time when I get into bed and when I get up. I'll be honest, I resented the time at first, it's now a ritual. I get all comfy then do my arm/chest and scar for 5 minutes each with a nice organic vitamin E cream. Could you do your arm very lightly? The movement itself is very therapeutic. 

Chemo starts Friday. I'm not as frightened now - I've decided I can't get worked up over it. What'll happen will happen and that's when I can act. Going to ask my hairdresser to come and cut the length before then. God help anyone who reports us for breaking lockdown! Though technically she can as she'll be providing care to an extremely vulnerable person.

Enjoy your Sunday - we've sun before the grotty weather returns.

Gel x

HappyVibes

Oh dear Gelbel, that’s a nuisance. I wonder how long they take to go away.

Yes, what I wouldn’t give for a holiday in the sun too!

I’ve just been having a moan to YJJ about my aches and pains as you’ll see. I hope your massaging has helped with the tightness in your arm. Just starting to get problems with my arm too.

I can’t wear a bra at the moment, just letting them hang loose haha. Although my lumpectomy wound has healed nicely and not hurting at all, the underarm edge of the bra would sit straight on my axilla wound which is only a week old and still tender.

How is your chemo going? I saw that all your treatment should be over by the end of summer. Hope travel restrictions are over by then and you can get away for a holiday.

Sending you a big hug. Rose xxx

HappyVibes

Oh Y, I’m so sorry to hear you’re in an emotional state about your next surgery and the wait on CT results. I know just how you feel and it is frightening. I had 12 weeks of consultations, different tests/scans and waiting periods in between before I finally had my first surgery in December. It’s very hard and all the time your imagination is running away with you.

I’m glad you like your new surgeon, it makes such a difference if you feel  a rapport with them and you can trust them to do what’s best for you. I’m seeing my surgeon next Friday 5th, for histology on the axillary clearance, so no doubt my own anxiety levels will start rising in the lead up to that. I hoping they will request a CT scan for me too as I worry that the cancer cells in my sentinel node might have already travelled. I’ve already had a bone scan and all clear there so that’s a relief.

I can see why they are delaying the LICAP, but disappointing that you will have to go through surgery again. Having said that, it’s marvellous that they have these amazing new reconstruction techniques and will be able to build you a new boob if you do need a mastectomy.

Your haematoma sounds as troublesome as “My Seroma!”  I know they can be very painful so I’m glad they drained it for you. What a nuisance it’s filling up again.  I had a check up in clinic with a breast nurse a few days ago, and she called a doctor in to look at the sassy seroma. He decided it needed draining and drew off 250ml. He said they’ll take more off when I go back to see my Surgeon on Friday, but it’s already filled up to nearly the size of a tennis ball again 🙁  It’s not painful like a haematoma can be so I’ll see how it is on Monday and maybe get them to drain it again before my next consultation if it gets too uncomfortable before then.

I was doing really well with the post op exercises, but the last few days my arm has been painful and the skin has been too tender to touch - sunburnt/scalded feeling.  I decided to give the exercises a miss today as I think I might have been doing too much too soon and that’s what’s causing the seroma, the very thing I was trying to avoid! Well that and the cording. The nurse said on Thursday I should be taking it more gently. Now I keep getting stabbing pains in my armpit as well as the nagging pain in my upper arm. There’s no redness, heat or rash so I’m sure there’s no infection there and it must just be nerve damage/healing.

Try to distract yourself as much as you can the next few days to keep the anxiety at bay. I’ll be thinking of you on Tuesday and sending love and light your way. Maybe we can catch up again next Friday and see how we both are. Great that you’ve been walking, so good for you physically and mentally. I’m looking forward to the day I can do 6 miles. I can manage about 45 mins at the moment with my new knee, but it’s getting stronger all the time and hopefully will be back to full fitness at the same time as my treatment ends. 😊

Big hug, Rose xxx

Gelbel

Hi YJJ, waiting for results is horrid isn't it? It's those that have done my head in and reduced me to a bit of a soggy, brain dead mess and I panicked too. I have never panicked before in my life.

There are lots of positives as you say. I wish I could do 6.5 miles - 6.5k steps is pushing it for me! You like your surgeon - that so makes a difference.

Can you put dates in the future to look forward to? I've a few dates nailed down in the diary to get me through the 18 weeks to the end of chemo in mid-June. And hopefully rads will be done and dusted mid-August. Then the rugby season starts, then we've a (deferred) holiday in October.

Take care. 🤗

Gel x

yjj

Hello lovely, sorry you’ve been feeling pants, hope your appointment sorted your “seroma” out and you feel a bit better? I think we should remember we have had considerable surgery... lumpectomy sounds so minor but we know it’s sore and mentally exhausting xx

i met new boob man at new hospital, I like him so all is good. I’m not great emotionally, very tearful, sad, angry and panicking. I have a ct scan today and whilst I “need” to know, I am terrified. Surgery booked for Tuesday, he wants to do a 2 stage op, so more breast and axilla clearance, fill cavity with water and stitch up. Get results, if good do the LICAP if not most likely mastectomy. Kind of thinking should have gone that way to start but they said it was overkill?!

the hard sore lump is a haematoma, they drained it and it felt better but it’s filling up again. It will be removed on Tuesday 

trying really hard to be positive but I’m frightened, I suppose it’s normal in these awful circumstances 

On upside pooch and I are walking every day and I find that helpful, 6.5 miles yesterday and was beautiful weather

not long now sweets till the 5th, stay sane and smiley and let me know how you get on xxx

Gelbel

So with you on the sunburn feeling HappyVibes. I'd love real ☀ 🔥 - would mean a holiday.

Mine's back today, there was none yesterday so I do wonder if its also a bra/seroma thing too. My arms a bit tight today - not reaching the top of the door til stretch #5 of the exercises. Hey ho, nearly bed time (I always go up at 9pm to watch whatever the drama on that time is), I'll give it an extra good massage then. 

HappyVibes

Hey there Y

Sorry I didn’t come back to you sooner, I haven’t felt that great the last few days. As well as feeling completely washed out, my arm has been aching badly and the inner side of my upper arm feels like it’s sunburnt. I had the sunburnt feeling on my breast when I had my lumpectomy and SNB so I know it goes away in time. I’m doing all the exercises and in spite of my shoulder aching, I’m able to reach right up over my head and do everything with little pain.

The seroma hasn’t gone down but hasn’t got any bigger, and although it’s very uncomfortable I decided to wait for my appointment with the nurse tomorrow as didn’t feel well enough to do the 45 min journey to the clinic, especially as I know it’s a normal side effect.

Yes the waiting for appointments and results is horrid. It takes so long because the pathologist has to examine the specimens, then forward to our MDT who only meet once a week. If they get your results just before rather than just after a meeting, you can often get a follow up appointment sooner than the two weeks.

How did your appointment go today? What did they say about the hard lump in your boob? Can’t remember if today was for more surgery or to talk about treatment.

I hope you got good news, but if you do need more, or a change of treatment plan, there’ll be lots of people here who will have been through the same thing and will support you.

Big hug, let us know how you are. Xxx