Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Abdominal hysterectomy with bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy

3 REPLIES 3
Fiona2901

Re: Abdominal hysterectomy with bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy

Well Ladies

I went down for the surgery in July and woke up in recovery to find out that the procedure hadn't happened.  The surgeon was very abrupt when she came to see me in recovery to explain why she hadn't done the operation.  She said that parts of my bowel were stuck to parts of my womb, there was endometriosis, showed me some photographs, said something about bowel prep and the need to be referred to another hospital within the Trust and then she she was gone and I haven't seen her since. I was sent a letter explaining the findings of my failed procedure but there was so much medical jargon I didn't have a clue what it was telling me.  To cut a long story short I have complained about the whole thing and eventually got an appointment at the other hospital.  I am booked in now to have my pre-op on Wednesday next week with the operation hopefully on 3 Oct. It will have to be an open procedure and I will have to have bowel prep (which I've taken before for a colonoscopy) but there may be complications such as damage to my bowel/bladder and may have a temporary stoma.  The surgeon wanted me to 'ride it out' and not have the surgery as I have had complications from previous surgeries - gallbladder op was changed from keyhole to open during surgery and then with my BC I had an infected wound and then fat necrosis (5 ops in all in 2017).  I am in a same sex relationship and have had problems with my periods for the last 30 years but no-one would listen as I wanted 'everything taken away' and they just kept putting me on the pill and then the mini pill. I did go for a scan in 2000 but they found nothing apart from my gallstones which no-one knew I had.  Having had BC, did being on the contraceptive medication contribute to my chances of getting it?   After contacting my BC Nurse and her discussing my case with my Consultant I have been prescribed Anastrazole for after so it will be interesting to see how I cope with that as I've not had too many issues with Tamoxifen.

Sorry for the rambling update 

Fiona

Poppy3

Hi Fiona, I had the same op in 2017.  Miy op was keyhole and carried out as a day case. It didn't take long and pain was kept at bay with paracetamol. My menopause came on about a week later like someone switching a tap off! Happy to answer any questions you may have. Like you HRT isn't an option for me and needed to manage symtoms myself and at the time didn't  really know what to expect. If I can help I will..xxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Fiona

I had a total hysterectomy in October last year, unfortunately they were not able to do it by keyhole due to an earlier condition which resulted in my cervix collapsing so they could not go in that way.  Dont know if I can be of help with anything however you can ask away and if I can I will. I am sure there will be other ladies who may have had it by keyhole who be able to support you

Helena xxx

Fiona2901

Abdominal hysterectomy with bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy

Good morning Ladies

Not been on here for quite a while as I went through treatment in 2017/18 but I now encounter another hurdle to get over and just after some advice.

I am having an abdominal hysterectomy with bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy a week on Monday.  My surgeon is hoping to carry it out by keyhole and I just wondered if anyone else out there has had the same op?  I'm also concerned about the surgical menopause that will follow as HRT isn't an option.

Thanks very much

Fiona