Awaiting surgery-any words of wisdom

Hi guys, 

I have an appointment to see my surgeon on Monday to go over surgery options (I’m presuming). 
I was diagnosed with grade 2 ductal carcinoma and it’s HER2 and oestrogen pos. I have had my chemo (FEC-T). I will be getting a full node clearance and also a mastectomy. I would like reconstruction. 
Can anyone share their experiences and any tips you may have. 
many thanks xx

Hi there I was diagnosed with DCIS in 2018 and had left mastectomy and immediate diep flap reconstruction. Two years on finally on list for slight revision surgery to breast and tummy scar area. After that a reconstructed nipple. It was a long surgery with 7 night hospital stay followed by 2 months off of work.  100% made the right decision though.  My results so far are very good and after revisions should be pretty fab visually.  I have little sensation in new boob but overall I don’t regret a thing.  A long road but as you have got through chemo (which I am grateful to have avoided) you have obviously already coped with a lot. If you would like me to go into more detail I would be happy to.  In the meantime I wish you well in making your decision x

Hi lefteye84 - I had chemo followed by right mastectomy and full node clearance, and I had an implant at the same time. I then had radiotherapy afterwards. I’m happy to answer any questions on this route if it helps you make the right decision for you.

It’s a very personal decision, for some appearance is most important, for others (such as LotStan and me) recovery time is most important.

My implant is a “pre-pectoral” one, meaning it sits on top of the muscle and is supported in a sling thing (think it’s called Braxon). Some Surgeons/consultants seem to advise against having an implant if you are having radiotherapy afterwards as there can be a risk of hardening (capsular contracture), but my plastic surgeon said that there is a lower risk with my type of implant (for whatever reason).

I’m happy with my implant, I don’t notice it most of the time. However, it doesn’t quite match my left one, it’s slightly bigger and more rounded and as a result I use a small prosthesis over my left breast to even things up under clothes. This works well for me.

I would recommend that you ask your surgeon if he/she can show you photos of women with the various options so you get a better idea of what it will look like. You are doing exactly the right thing in asking people to share their experiences as it will help you come to the right decision.

I wish you all the best as you go forward and am happy to answer any more questions.

Evie xx