333327posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Axillary Node Clearance

75 REPLIES 75

Re: Axillary Node Clearance

Hi Ive now had my CT just waiting for the bone scan and onco appt.  How are you Bluetit.  Im sure it wont be too long before I join you.  Hope you are ok xx

Hi ladies
Hope you are all well, I love this forum, no 2 diagnosis are the same.
I had mx in December, had no choice, tumour was 9cm and it consumed my skin.
Had 16 cycles of Chemo, 4xEC
12xpacli, 5 out of 5 lymph node involvement.
Now radiotherapy for 3 weeks, then all finished.
I was upset when I was told I had involved lymph nodes, however surgeon put my mind at rest and said I had clean margins and he got all the cancer.
I feel clean since my Mx, my body feels clean, my heart tells me the cancer has gone, and my healer has confirmed everything is clear.
Lymph node involvement, does not necessarily mean, reoccurrence will happen.
Iv told the universe and my body cancer is not coming back, and believe me, it won’t.
Good luck ladies with your journey.

My CT is next Friday so I shouldnt be too far behind you x  Wait for meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Well done Linda. Have a fantastic holiday x

I am all finished. Booked a hol on Tuesday to Egypt and got a lovely Swarovski necklace from my OH for what I have been through. Good luck with chemo Daisydi.x

Thank you. One stage ticked at last! Hope you are ok too x

So pleased your 2nd re-excision worked.

Best wishes for the your next steps

Glad to hear you got clear margins Daiydi. It is always worth not burning your bridges I think.x

Thank goodness no 4th operation!!!
I also had 4 nodes positive (4/11).
Sorry to hear you'll be starting chemo 😓 (I selfishly wish you could be on my monthly thread!) I've had CT of liver, chest etc already, just waiting for bone CT in 2 weeks time. I hope you get your dates through quickly xxxxx

Hi 3 more nodes positive so 4 out of 24.  Clear margin though so no mx.  Chemo here we come but got to have ct and bone scan first so prob wont start until Feb/March.  Half happy in that I get to keep my boob but sad about chemo...

How did you get on today Daisydi? xx

Hi Daisy, sorry it has taken me ages to reply!
Hope your arm is still good - my range is good but I have a few nerve pains. Am being good with the exercises as I quickly notice if I haven't done them for a bit. I didn't get any numbness and still need deodorant!
I hope your results are exactly what you hope for at your next appt.... catch up soon, either here or 'over there'! xxx

Hi Daisy,

I'm the same as Evie, I don't need deodorant on the ANC side. Just as well cos when I do put it on I'm still so numb I can't tell if I'm missing or not. It's such a relief when the drains are out isn't it?

After the ANC I've found that if I don't do the exercises on a daily basis it stiffens up pretty quickly. I have full range of movement and got that back quickly but the numbness hasn't improved and I've been told it probably won't .

Daisydi - great news on having the drains out, and also that you are using your arm normally. From my experience the answer to your question would be no - the numbness for me took many months to go, even now I don’t have full feeling back. So if you are the same, by the time the numbness goes you will have recovered and so won’t feel pain after (hope that makes sense and is reassuring).

Strangely I was the opposite with BO smells - for the first time I could get away without deodorant!

Evie xx

drain is out hoorayyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Hoping to have my drain removed today.  Yippee!  I am quite suprised at how good my arm is.  I can just use it normally, can put normal bra tops and clothes on.  Cant feel under my arm but thats probably a good thing.  Cant wash properly either and I seem to have a constant bo smell from that armpit. Very pleasant.   Does the pain occur once the numbness has gone I wonder?  Hope you're all ok xx

Hi thank you I am really praying for good results having gone through all these ops.  I won't know about chemo till results but I suspect I will be joining you ....Good luck for yours xx

I hope the pain is subsiding Daisydi & your results show the margins you need.

Will you be joining a chemo thread? - I will be hopping across there in a couple of weeks x

Hiya, well I'm done and have a very large bottle and bag to carry around with me.  Finding it all a bit painful but I am home. Just waiting for results now. Hope you're ok.  I third incision on my boob is really painful,much more than before. Just hope it was worth it ...

How are you feeling Daisydi?
Hope your surgery went well today & that you were first on the list as planned xxx

Daisydi - that is a very positive start to the day, I’m pleased to read that. Sometimes just sharing our anxieties and knowing that we are not alone with such thoughts helps massively. I relied heavily on this forum when I was having surgery and treatment. Xx

Thanks Evie.  It is nice to off load on here.  Surely it can only be a good thing.  Just had my letter from the hospital and I have to be there at 6.30am on Thurs.  After the fiasco of last time and them forgetting to do my anc I asked to be first on the list and they have kept to their word!  Positive thoughts .....

Hi Bluetit and daisydi

Bluetit - I want to wish you all the best for chemo, may it be as kind as possible to you - it affects everyone very differently. I’m sure you will have found the monthly chemo threads to join. I had chemo before my op so happy to answer any questions.

daisydi - sending you a big hug. I really understand what you say - I’ve been having some weird pains this week and now my mind has gone into overdrive imagining the worst. I should try and take my own advice, but that’s not so easy! Do come on here and offload any time if that helps you at all.

Hugs, Evie xx

Hi Bluetit thanks for thinking of me.  Think thats good then isn't it?  I am having a bit of a tough time as my mind is playing games not letting me sleep and imagining all sorts of nasties.  I feel that I have been waiting forever for this op and that if anything is in nodes it is spreading all over the place while I am waiting!  Cant wait to get next week over with as I really need to know what is going on and yes I think it will be a good thing to know one way or the other.  Hope you are feeling ok.  I will let you know how I get on and please do the same. xx

Hi Daisydi- I've been wondering how you are feeling today/in general. I had my post op appt this afternoon (hence why I thought of you).

My original SNB showed 3/4 nodes positive. Today the surgeon said that one more node was found positive on ANC. So that's a total of 4/11 nodes positive. I feel strangely happy to know that the ANC was worth doing. Next step chemo xx

Thank you Evie.  Think Im just having a bad day today, time of year! I am trying so much to be positive but every time I go back after surgery its bad news.  Just wishing for some good luck this time x

Bluetit - thank you for such kind and lovely words and for making my afternoon. Xx

What a brilliant post Evie, you are amazing x

Bluetit - I am sure you will be fine as your body is used to lifting people and equipment. I was told to be careful with heavy suitcases because I don’t lift those everyday so my arm isn’t used to that weight. What has your consultant advised? Driving will be fine too - just take your arm off the steering wheel when you stop at junctions for example and flex it. I think they want people not to drive for 6 hours non stop gripping the wheel.

Evie xx

Daisydi - the time beforehand is hard as the mind can work overtime, I know mine did (and still continues to). I’ll see if I can help at all. First of all the drain won’t come out, they are hard to get out when the time comes. You may find that you don’t move so much in your sleep after the operation as subconsciously your body probably won’t want to roll onto the site. There doesn’t seem to be any answer as to who gets lymphoedema and who doesn’t, so you just need to take reasonable precautions but also live life as normally as you can. Keeping active is supposed to help, moving the arm around to help the lymph fluid circulate. I have a friend who has lymphoedema and you wouldn’t know she has it, she lives a very full and active life and it doesn’t stop her doing anything.

As to the fear of spread, you are not alone with that worry. At the most difficult times I was advised to take one day at a time, or even one hour at a time, and not think too far ahead. That really helped me. Focus on treating yourself with your favourite things, get things prepared at home for when you will be recovering, buy some easy to watch dvds/chocolate. I’ve just re-read your diagnosis post - try to focus too on what your surgeon told you, that they have caught it early and also that only one of the two nodes tested was affected. Have you been offered a CT body scan? From what I’ve read some hospitals routinely offer them and some don’t - maybe you can investigate this to put your mind at rest?

I hope that chatting on here will help get you through. Remember the Winnie the Pooh quote “You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think”.

Hugs, Evie xx

I am absolutely dreading my anc on 10th Jan. I am so worried about everything. I seem  to move around a lot in the night.  How will the drain stay safe, what if I get lymphodema, what if all my nodes are positive,what if the cancer has spread everywhere.  I cant find anything positive to think about at the moment....

I'm definitely not going to attempt to iron with my left hand.. hahaha, that would be disastrous... top points for you trying though!

I'm a Community Physio - so a fair bit of driving & moving heavy people/equipment. Time will tell. I will take it day by day & get through treatment first.
xxxx

Bluetit - I don’t know what your job is, but I was told that it was ok to continue with things that your arm is used to doing. And you will find as time goes on that you can do lots of the same things - I started trying to iron with my left arm, that was a disaster and my surgeon said it was fine to iron with my right, so I do it with breaks and stop if my arm aches. It wasn’t long since your surgery so you will definitely find things improve as time goes by. And you will also find your left arm skills improve a lot too!!

Evie xx

I'm definitely getting more and more left handed at the moment! I just combed my daughter's long hair & now I'm achy. Not surprising, it was knotty!! But yet again I'm on high alert. I'll phone for advice when the kids have gone back to school. Urrrgghh. This will so impact on my job and it's scaring me. I've got chemo and radio first, it's such a hard slog but I can cope with that. It's just the 'forever aspect of my arm which is distressing me.
xxx

Hi Bluetit

I’m glad to hear you are feeling better. I know exactly what you mean about lymphoedema being in capitals in your head. I am still very careful. I lift everything with my left arm, especially heavy things (or better still try to find someone else to lift it!) It’s almost impossible to stay asleep in a “safe” position, at least it is for me as I seem to move around all night, but that would be a good question if you do call the lymphoedema society. However, I have become a bit more relaxed after my surgeon explained that one episode of doing something won’t bring on full blown lymphoedema. Some of the nurses at my hospital gave totally wrong and scary information about it so to start with I was terrified of lifting even a cup of tea! The main rules to follow are being careful not to get any cuts on your bad arm infected, not to burn yourself on that arm, not to grip things for long periods without a break (steering wheel, iron), or carry lift heavy things with bad arm.

Hugs, Evie xx

Hi Jackdaw, and welcome to the forum. I had a mx and recon at the same time as ANC and I had to keep a sports bra on all the time for the recon. Mine was about 18 months ago so I can’t quite remember how the bra sat with the drain, but I’m pretty sure it must have sat over the top of the drain judging from the position it was in. Can you ask your consultant?

All the best to you for your recovery.

Evie xx

Thanks, that’s really helpful!

xxx

Thanks so much for your kind words!i did sleep well, thanks to painkillers!

xx

Hi I wore my sports bra over the top of my drains both times , at times I just kept lifting my bra to double check X hopefully this will help you X have a happy day , xx
Highlighted

Welcome Jackdaw, I hope you slept ok last night.
I have only just recently started wearing a bra again, so I'm afraid I can't offer you any words of wisdom on the drain/bra dilemma. So tricky to get differing opinions. I wonder if you start a new thread if you'll find someone more helpful than me xxx

Daidydi, sorry I'm only just replying now. I'm doing much better now, thank you. Movement is good (not full) & I'm getting more stamina. Have to admit I'm over aware of the word lymphedema which is in 'capitals' in my head. (I really must phone for advice/ information like Evie suggested). Things like the most low risk sleeping position & other practical things like that.
Anyway, enough rambling. Please let me know how the 10th goes for you xx

Hi,

I’m new to the forum, and have a question about ANC. I’m back from hospital today after 2nd lumpectomy and ANC. I have a question about the drain. I’ve asked my nurses about wearing my surgery bra over the drain and I’ve had differing advice. I can’t have the drain outside the bra as the drain tube is pointing down, but with the bra on, I’m worried that it might constrict the tube. I like my bra on as my breasts are large, even the lumpectomy one. Ive loosened the bra as much as I can. I’m thinking about taking it off to sleep.

i hope you’re doing well now, Bluetit and Evie.

Thanks for any advice.

xx

My third op will be January 10th for full node clearance and rereexcision.  At least I have a couple of weeks of normality.  Bless your little girl Bluetit with her satsuma.  How are you getting on?

Thank you for sharing x
Well done to your dog for making you aware - what a superstar!

I saw a dimple after showering in Sept & went to the GP the same day. I couldn't feel anything. They weren't too worried, but acknowledged it didn't look right & agreed for breast clinic. I just knew though.

My tumour was so big, the results of each investigation said bigger and bigger which was frightening (dense boobs = difficult to see properly).

Ultrasound said 1.6cm
Mammo said 2.5cm
MRI said 5cm
Surgery has said 4.9cm plus a few satellite areas.

(I've also had a CT to look for secondaries - all clear!)

I'm same as you in that I'm grades 2, ER+, HER-.
In my kids minds though it's "boobie cancer", my youngest has even started walking round the house with one satsuma down her onesie, which I kind of love!

So much to learn!
I'll be thinking of you tomorrow xx

No I dont mind you asking.  Its probably quite therapeutic to start from beginning.  In the summer I was laying on a sunbed at the bottom of the garden as it was the coolest place.  One of my dogs jumped on top of me and a few days later I noticed a swelling on my right boob.  I waited and waited and it didnt go down and then I noticed what I thought was dimpling.  Had mammogram and core biopsy  but the surgeon told me there and then that it was bad but early.  Had therapeutic mammoplasty and snb at the end of October.  The invasive tumour was 21mm but they found areas of DCIS in 3 of the margins which my surgeon was really shocked about and also one out of two lymph nodes were positive. It was graded as Stage 2b grade 2 but the staging could well change.  Went in again at the end of Nov for anc and margins but they didnt do anc due to pressures of work and an admin error.  Now just one lateral margin was not big enough by 1mm.  Surgeon said I have to have anc and guidelines state mx but they offered me the choice one last time which I am telling them tomorrow I will take otherwise I have been through everything so far for nothing. If this is not clear then I will definitely have to had a mx.  I want to keep my boob as it is still a decent size.  I am absolutely gutted to be having my third surgery and also the anc as I am so terrified of lymphodema but I am just praying that my breast can be saved.  In a way I am thinking that if they hadnt omitted the anc last time I wouldnt have been given the choice so I am trying to think fate has a part to play.  The surgeon still tells me it is early but in my mind it cant be that early as it has already spread to at least one lymph node but he says it is graded by the size of the tumour.  So thats where I am but I am having so many nasty thoughts that I just cant get them out of my head.  I am thinking that it is a lot worse than they think, that it has spread everywhere and I cant take much more and this is meant to the be easy bit.  Maybe I will feel better tomorrow once I have spoken to surgeon again ...  What about you, what is your story?  Oh and forgot to say the tumour was ER pos and HER neg so I will have hormone treatment eventually and also prob radiotherapy and not sure about chemo yet

Keep us posted, glad you've been able to make that decision for yourself.

I'm recovering well from my ANC, thank you.
I am finding I have to do my exercises really regularly or else I tighten up very quickly, much more so than after my mastectomy. Other than that I'm good! And no drain this time has really made things easier too.

Would you mind me asking about your diagnosis etc? Please don't feel pressured to answer though!
Xx

Hi Bluetit, how you doing?  havent got a date yet but may find out tomorrow when I see surgeon again to sign consent forms.  They were talking first week of Jan.  My bcn did mention there was a list on NYE but wouldnt be fair on my support network as someone has to stay at my house to look after my animals.  Am really not looking forward to it but we have agreed I am not ready emotionally for a mx yet so I will have the re reexcision as well as the anc.  Will let you know when I know xx

Hi Daisydi,
Have you got a date yet? xx

Thanks everyone for your support.  Will keep you posted. xx

Bluetit - I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling great, that was a really positive post for anyone else to read. Keep doing those arm exercises is my only advice now! And rest and let others take care of you for a while.

Evie xx

Hi Daisydi-
Sorry to hear your news, I know you were half expecting it, but it's so very hard! I had the clearance yesterday morning & was home by the evening. I feel great! Achy but great.

The op was much quicker than the mastectomy and SNB, so less general anaesthic to work through - phew!

3rd excision sounds so hard, I really feel for you.
I'm really pleased I had a Mastectomy, especially as I'll be going on to have chemo & radiotherapy. But your decision is just that, yours. Its so hard making these 'choices'!

Sending love,
I'll keep you posted, please do the same x