cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breast shape and feel after Lumpectomy for DCIS

13 REPLIES 13
Alfiesgrandma

Re: Breast shape and feel after Lumpectomy for DCIS

Hi i had my lumpectomy 4 weeks ago & have a hard lump where the cancer was & a bit of a numb area too so im glad to hear from you all that this is normal.   Moisturising helps you to get used to touching it & although it looks smaller & a bit odd shaped now im so happy that its clear!  

Take care x

Ali32

Hi Bubs80,

Many thanks for replying. I had my first bath today instead of showers and spent a long time looking at it.

I hope it gets better with time and looks more normal. At the moment looks like a bump on the side.

Thinking all sorts and panicking about the future but being on here helps a lot to know that I’m not on my own.

Best wishes to you,

Ali

Eglis

Sounds like you are doing great too!
Big hugs

Bubs80

Hi Ali

You defo not alone feeling this way, like you I had my lumpectomy in December and some days i can barely look at my boob let alone touch it. Its the same; hard, bumpy and still a bit bruised, some days it looks OK, others it looks worse. 

I've shed a few tears over it, not too many to be fair, but it does get to me some days more than others. 

Sorry not much help but I wanted to say you are doing great and whilst its a bummer having a dodgy boob at least its not still trying to kill you 😉🤣

Eglis

Not silly at all........I‘ve been much the same.

Time will be the healer.

Big hugs...... one step at a time 

Ali32

Hi Eglis,

Thanks for the reassurance.

Im sure as time goes on it will get better. Early days and all that. Hope I will feel better about touching them as at the moment I have to take a deep breath and almost close my eyes. Silly I know.

I think the worrying and overthinking gets me more but I will take each day as it comes.

Ali

Eglis

Hello Ali

I’m in same position..... also had harder lump but has gotten better.

it all takes time..... touching breasts that don’t feel like they did before - I‘m still getting used to it.  All the checks in place reassure me.........maybe also try some yoga.... the breathing has helped me enormously  when I‘ve been anxious/worried.

Sharing is good!

Ali32

Hi Lousara,

Thanks for the reassurance that it’s normal.

I wasn’t quite expecting it to be like it is but I suppose it’s early days! 
I will keep an eye on it although I still freak out when I touch it! I’m such a wuzz!!

Hope ur recovering ok. 
Ali x

Lousara

Hi Ali,

I also had a lumpectomy just before Christmas.  Mine is still slightly bruised and tender and has a small firm lump underneath it, I was told this was normal.  Hope this helps x

Shareena_BCN
Community Manager

Hi @Ali32 we are sorry to hear you are struggling! Please remember, our Breast Care Nurses are available if you have any questions, worries, or just want to talk things things through. You can reach our Nurses on our freephone Helpline - 0808 800 6000  (Monday to Friday — 9am to 4pm and Saturdays — 9am to 1pm). 

If you prefer to email our Nurses, you can get in touch here.

Sending my best wishes,
Shareena
Social Media Officer

Sandpiper

Hi Ali,

Good to hear back from you. I understand what you mean when you say you feel bit like you've been thrown to the wolves. I felt a bit like that when I finished my active treatment, support all seems to come to a sudden stop. There is a very helpful article that's been recommended on this forum - it's called 'After the Treatment Finishes - Then What?' by Dr Peter Harvey a Consultant Clinical Psychologist. I don't know how to do links but you could look it up on line. He's very supportive and understanding - I have read it lots of time and still find it helpful. You might find it helps you too. You should still able to contact your BCN in the future if you need reassurance.

Look after yourself

Sandpiper

x

Ali32

Hi Sandpiper,

Thanks for your advice.

I have my next appointment with the consultant in April which seems an age away. I feel that once the surgery is done with and I had my results then that’s it! A bit like being thrown to the wolves to just get on with it. 
Perhaps it’s just me overthinking everything and scaring myself with Dr Google which I know doesn’t help. 
I did ring the Radiotherapy doctor twice just to double check why I wasn’t having it. She must have thought I was questioning her ability!! 
Hopefully my wounds/ scars whatever they are will settle down in time. I was assured that all nasties had been removed. Hope so!! 
Glad that there are gals like u to sound off to.

Thanx once again and sending love ur way.

Ali x

Sandpiper

Dear Ali,

I had lumpectomy in July 2019 for invasive breast cancer and I did have a hard area under the operation site. It was there for a long time, months and months but it's gone now. Went gradually. I had the scheduled follow up mammogram last July 2020 and it was clear. I also had a lump under where the sentinel node was taken out I also had a hard lump which is still there - I assume it's scar tissue. I had radiotherapy as well which probably added to the.

I remember the bruising also lasted a long time and slowly faded. Gone now.

Sorry you're feeling so worried and are struggling - it's you that's bruised as well with all of this and having unexpected change of treatment to cope with too.

Could you give your breast care nurse a ring to talk it over?

love

Sandpiper

x

Ali32

Breast shape and feel after Lumpectomy for DCIS

Hi,

I had a Lumpectomy for high grade DCIS just before Christmas and although the wounds are healing well my breast still looks bruised and feels like it has a hard lump over the area that was removed. 
I can hardly bear to touch it anyway even though I am trying to moisturise it daily.

Should I be worrying about how it feels yet or is it too early days?

Any advice would be appreciated!

I am also trying to remain positive and upbeat about all this but admit to struggling now especially as I was told I wouldn’t need radiotherapy when I was expecting to have it. 
Im just a big worry at the moment!

Many thanks,

Ali