DIEP Surgery

It’s envisaged I’ll have an immediate reconstruction after my mastectomy using fat from my abdomen.  I’ve read similar posts to this but they haven’t really concentrated on the effects of the stomach surgery.  I just wondered what other people’s experiences of this have been.   It seems like an area that would be very painful after surgery.  How difficult is it to move afterwards - get off the bed, bend down to use the loo, even reach to get something off the bedside cabinet?  I know it sounds daft but will I be able to clean my cat’s litter tray when I get home?  Also, I feel squeamish about coughing, and I get severe migraines which can involve vomiting.  Is there anyone on here who’s also a migraine sufferer, I’m terrified of waking up with a migraine after the surgery and wonder if I would be able to take my prescription medication to for this.  

Thanks ever so for any advice anyone can give.

Jemima

No personal experience (I had a LD reconstruction) but this information seems very thorough.

breastcancer.org/treatment/surgery/reconstruction/types/autologous/diep

Not the same thing but I had no problems doing the things you mention after a hysterectomy, which is, I believe,more major surgery.

Good luck.

Hi I had my surgery 22 feb and and came home on 28 feb, I had double mascetomy with diep reconstruction also had lymph nodes removed on left hand side.  I am still very sore, coughing hurts and you really try not to, you cannot bend down to the floor, you can just about sit on the toilet.  I don’t think you would be able to change cat litter can you get some help? 

Hi Jemima,

Everyone is different, with different experiences and surgeons and all we can do is tell you how it is for us. I would like to reassure you as much as possible though. 

I had a left side mastectomy with diep reconstruction and some lymph nodes removed on the same side less than a week ago (Thursday 28th Feb). I didn’t have any drains as my plastic surgeon is pioneering a new way forward to avoid drains after surgery. Don’t ask me how but it’s worked out somehow. I was allowed to come home on the Saturday and today is Monday. I feel very sore and tight across my stomach area and am unable to fully stand up straight yet. Today the place where the lymph nodes were taken is aching for some reason. My new boob area is very swollen and a bit achey.
BUT I want to tell you, none of this pain is too awful and I am only taking paracetamol regularly. No hard hitting painkillers after leaving hospital.
Initially in hospital it was scary to move but you get used to it pretty fast. I can now get off the bed ok and move around ok (not painless but nothing too horrendous). I really wanted to come on and write a positive experience of diep because when I was facing it I could only find things that scared me like mad! 
Now, like I said everyone’s experience is different and I think it will be up and down for all of us over the coming months. I would plan for the worst case scenario and get some friends organised to help you for the first few days. Hopefully you wont need too much help beyond that point. Rest will be a big thing so try to make life easy for yourself for the first week or so.
Let us know how you get on xxxx

1 Like