DIEP flap mesh

Hello all,

I had a mastectomy three years ago and was unable to have an immediate reconstruction because my BMI was over 30. Having lost two stone I have just had my first discussion with the plastic surgeon about reconstruction and she recommended a DIEP flap. I am happy with this - I understand it gives the best overall result and feels the most natural - but she said that it involves inserting a mesh to reduce the risks of a hernia. I was horrifed when she said this as I immediately thought of the awful reports of vaginal mesh and the damning Cumberlege report. Thankfully the surgeon saw how concerned I was and assured me that it is safe and that I don’t have to have it if I don’t want to but I am now curious. Has anyone had any issues with this mesh? Or know anyone who has? Is it only vaginal mesh that was problematic or does this apply to other areas of the body too? Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might research this?

Many thanks,

Kate

Hi Katie,

I don’t know anything about mesh’s in regards to DIEP flap, but they are very commonly used in hernia repair ops , especially on the abdomen, and I’ve heard that once they’ve settled and healed into the body they don’t tend to cause many problems.