DIEP underwear - help nothing fits!

Hi everyone 

Please, please, please can you suggest some tram flap underwear that you have used? Any links or suggestions would be brilliant. Here are my problems.

Girdle

My surgeon recommended Macom with side fastening girdle so I don’t drag underwear over my scars. I’ve a week to go until surgery and the girdle has arrived and is too long in the body.

Bra

My chest is currently 30HH, they will reduce when they re-build the right breast after my masectomy and they are matching the left breast, but they couldn’t tell me what size. Again I’ve bought Macom because it’s supposed to stretch to fit, (but only to G cup). It doesn’t seem to have any protection, like say a sports bra would, but I can’t get a sports bra to fit because they don’t know what they will get from my stomach.

I feel in a total catch 22 situation and would really appreciate any suggestions. Thank you so much in advance.

Kaz xx

Hello Kaz

Thanks for your post on the ‘going through breast cancer treatment’ thread asking about DIEP underwear after reconstruction.

Many women are concerned about finding comfortable and well-fitting bras following breast reconstruction. It sounds like your surgeon has advised you to buy your bra and support girdle from Macom. As you are 30HH and there will be some swelling after the surgery you may want to try increasing your band size to 32 which might make it more comfortable. You could also try calling the company to see what they suggest for both the bra and the girdle in your individual situation.

You can also look online for options from high street stores such as Marks and Spencer. You may need to check their suitability with your breast care nurse or surgeon. Here is a list of other suppliers that you might find useful.

Talking to someone who has had a similar experience can be helpful and our Someone Like Me service can arrange for one of our volunteers to talk to you by email or telephone. Our volunteers have had a personal experience of breast cancer and are trained to provide support.

You can ring the Someone Like Me team on 0345 077 1893 or email them at someone.likeme@breastcancernow.org,so they can then match you to your volunteer. 

You may also want to contact the organisation Keeping abreast for further support.

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would like a nurse to call you do complete this form . Ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

We offer a range of free supportive services that you might be interested in.

Best wishes

Rachel

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy