cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delayed Reconstruction

Highlighted
Community Champion

Delayed Reconstruction

Hi,  I'm due to have a meeting soon about the options for a delayed reconstruction following a "non-skin sparing mastectomy".  Has anyone had the same type of mastectomy and if so were your options limited by it? 

I'm currently thinking the Mesh & implant looks like a good option as it can be done in one operation.  The other choice Im looking at is the Flap method but I may be too thin for back or tummy fat removal so would need to find a surgeon that can perform a PAP as there is definitely a boob sitting on my inner thigh!

It would be good to hear from anyone who has had a good (or bad) experience of either PAP Flap or Mesh+implant.

Thanks

xxxxxx

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted

Hi,

I was in a simmilar situation. My surgeon advised that after non skin sparing mastectomy tissue flap, DIEP or PAP, is the better option since the flap can bring in skin, which is missing after this type of mastectomy.

I found a guide online that specifically explains delayed breast reconstruction options www.delayedbreastreconstruction.com/guide

Hope this helps,

Mary

Highlighted
Community Champion

Good advice there, thanks Evie.   I have my initial appointment next Thursday with the BCN then depending on the technique I choose I'll be referred to appropriate consultant waiting list.  Yikes!  xxx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Mai7 - 2 further things. Do ask your surgeon to show you examples of what both operations will look like, he/she should have photos. And I'm also happy for you to pm me if you have any questions that you would prefer to discuss not so openly on the forum.

All the best to you whatever you decide.

Evie xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Thanks MysteryMouse,  I'll pm you.  xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Thanks Evie, that's really helpful and makes me feel a bit better about it all if I choose the implant+mesh option.  Good to hear you are happy with yours and would still choose that option again. xxx

Highlighted

Hi Mai7

I had a delayed reconstruction after waiting for 2 years.  I then had a PAP reconstruction in 2016.

So happy with the results of it all and to me now feels like a real breast.

I can tell you about PAP if you'd like.  Send me a pm with what you'd like to know!

MM

xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Mai

I went for an implant rather than back/tummy flaps because of the quicker recovery, but I believe the flaps produce a more natural shape. I'm happy enough with my recon - it doesn't match my other one, but I have got used to a new "normal" and I'm glad I had the recon. My implant is more round, think about what celebrities look like after surgery (lol) and it is bigger than the other one. My surgeon put in an implant that is too big but I don't want another op to correct it, so do chat to yours about the right size. I know exactly what you mean by the bubble wrap look! Overall I'd say mine is quite smooth but there are a few tiny areas of rippling if you look closely.

Recovery time was relatively quick. I had nodes removed at the same time so your recovery will be quicker than mine - I believe it's about the same time as for a mastectomy as they don't go under the muscle, so I imagine the same time as for your mastectomy. You will have the same arm exercises to do.

I find running and sport fine with the implant and am only really aware of it when I'm undressed. I would choose this option again if I had to choose.

Hope that helps, but I'm very happy to discuss more any time.

Evie xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Evie, thanks for your reply.  I basically had all tissue removed so just have a scar.  My recon has to be delayed for at least a year because of the inflammatory factor at the time of my diagnosis.  Are you happy with your reconstruction?  Is the shape acceptable for you?  Did you find getting back to normal movement easy and relatively painless?  At the moment, all I can think is that its going to look like bubble-wrap lol! xxxx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Mai7

I'm not totally sure what type of mastectomy I had (I don't have a nipple anymore if that helps!), but I did have an implant with Braxon mesh, which was put on top of the muscle rather than underneath is, at the same time as the mx. I'm happy to discuss more if you think I've had the same as you (apologies for not being great with terminology).

Evie xx