363214posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diep reconstruction

Highlighted

Re: Diep reconstruction

Thank you for your response and I hope that you are doing well ... I’m having the operation at Bradford Royal Infirmary, West Yorkshire, feeling very apprehensive but really appreciate all the advice it certainly helps me to feel more prepared. Sarah x

Highlighted

Hi Sarah

i had a bilateral mastectomy with diep recon last August.

As far as recovery think everyone differs but would allow yourself at least 3 months maybe more driving for me was 6 weeks as per my insurance company 

I found the first night the hardest as I had a Bair hugger heated blanket and it was so uncomfortable and hot, a real help was taking in some flannels with me that I asked the nurses to wet every hour or so and put them on my forehead and neck to keep cool.

at home I needed help to showe etc as with a double you can't do much as you can't lift your arms.

if you take the painkillers make sure you get laxatives with them from the nurses as you do get constipated on codeine.

you will feel tired even doing the smallest task at first but it passes after a few weeks.

another thing I found really useful is that one of the nurses rolled up a small towel and taped it into a roll for me to put on my tummy scar area if I felt the need to cough as it can be quite painful to cough at first.

You will feel you will never be able to walk out of the hospital unaided in the first day or so but it does get better and you will.

which hospital are you at?

good luck

SL x

Highlighted

Hi Sarah. I was a tad unfortunate in that I got an infection post surgery. Ended up in hospital or 12 days instead of the expected 5-7. But this doesn't happen to everyone, and I was unlucky, so please don't think this will happen to you. When I got home I needed help to shower and change dressings, but other than that, I felt quite good. Within a month, I was feeling pretty normal, although my wounds took a while to heal and I did have have quite a few surgical clinic appointments so they could keep an eye on them. I didn't drive for 6 weeks post surgery and returned to work in the first week of March, so did need almost 3 full months off. I'm really happy with my new boobs and am really glad that I had this procedure done. I know 2 other ladies personally who had this procedure, and we all had about the same recovery time as far as driving and returning to work is concerned. And please remember that this op takes a lot out of you, so be kind to yourself for the first few weeks. You may well be exhausted by menial tasks to start with, so take your time to rebuild your physical strength a day at a time. I walked every day, venturing a little further each time. Hope your op is plain sailing and that you're as happy as I am with the outcome. Ann X  

Highlighted

Ann ..thank you very much for the swift reply ... I’ll take your advice and go out and purchase Bridget Jones knickers and front fastening pyjamas ... Can’t I ask what timescales you experienced during recovery ... I’ve been told I will be in hospital for 5-7 days and wondered what I will be capable of when I get back home initially ...also how long until able to drive and return to work ? The consultant has said around a 3-4 month recovery period which does seem a long time ..I hope that you are now doing well after your surgery x

Highlighted

Hi Sarah,

I had a double DIEP op in December 2015. I took support pants and front fastening soft bras into hospital with me. Took a couple of days for me to be able to wear the bras, but the pants were an absolute god send. All my pj's were front fastening too because of being constantly checked by nursing/medical staff. Means you only have to open the buttons rather than constantly pull your top up (a godsend in the middle of the night!!) All the best with your op and wishing you a speedy recovery. Big hugs, Ann X 

Highlighted

Diep reconstruction

Hi I am due to have diep reconstruction following mastectomy back in 2016. Surgery was delayed due to chemo and radiotherapy. Surgery is booked for March and I am looking for advice on things I might need following surgery I have seen mention of special bras and knickers etc . In essence any tips and advice would be very much appreciated as I haven’t spoken with anyone who has undergone this type of surgery.