Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do your implants feel... weird?

6 REPLIES 6
Evie-S
Community Champion

Re: Do your implants feel... weird?

Chat as much as you like, whenever you want or need. Sometimes just writing things down helps to clarify them in your mind.

This BC road has ups and downs, and you sound really positive now in your decision. You are also being kind to yourself, I refer to you writing down that you are proud of yourself. I had some advice that I should treat myself as I would treat a close friend - being supportive, not beating myself up about things.

Some people like to just go with what their medical team advise, and others like to question or research - both routes are equally good, it’s very personal. But probably once you have made your decision it’s good to park it and not keep revisiting it (though I do exactly the opposite of what I am now advising!!). Now is the time for lots of treats and quality time for yourself. Evie xx

bookish

Thank you so much, Evie, and I'll probably take you up on the chat offer!

I kind of get the impression - with mine, at least - that they've decided I need this but it was a struggle to get me to agree (I completely do now, but it took a long while!!) and now they won't risk putting me off. It's not quite withholding information, but definitely feels like they're going for the least they can get away with mentioning.

Tbh I'm not sure what else to ask, as I'm not sure anything much can/will change from the planned course of action. Maybe what I'm sensing is push back of the "we're busy, why waste time telling you things that won't matter/change things". It's... yeah, I dunno. Frustrating, but I sort of see it. And I sort of buy into the 'let's not freak myself out as I don't plan to change my mind now anyway'? I'll get what I get and deal, is it worth fretting about it for the next couple of months?

Ah. Mostly I'm okay. I'm proud of myself for finally - FINALLY - accepting that this is a necessary step to protect myself as best I can. It's all the peripheral stuff that wears me down, though!

Evie-S
Community Champion

I’m glad you feel able to be open and honest on here - I love how everyone on here just “gets it”, no explanation needed, and no judgment.

No, it’s not at all odd to be more concerned about loss of sensation than how they look. It’s your body and you are trying to get your head around what is happening to it, you are handling it your way - nothing wrong with that. 

If you would like to see implant images, do ask your surgeon again. I didn’t think to ask when I was at the planning stage, but really we would never buy something online/in a store without seeing it first would we!

I’m happy to chat more, so do ask any time. Xx🤗

bookish

Thank you, both - I feel a lot less wobbly for reading those comments!

Have to admit, the total loss of sensation feels like a huge negative and I'm a bit annoyed at how underhand it feels they were with that information up front. My nipples are already gone that way, making me wonder slightly about the efforts to keep them, and I struggle to image what the rest losing feeling will be like. Oddly, I'm less worried about how they'll look - is that weird? I did ask if they'd let me see some photos but I got totally fobbed off. Still, can't imagine they could look that much 'worse' than the current post-surgery version although I might be fooling myself! I'm also getting the mesh 'sling' as far as I'm aware.

I keep getting praise about how well I seem to be coping, but it's a relief to come on here once in a while and say no, I'm not completely! Still feels so unbelievable that all this is happening.

Thanks again 🙂

Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi bookish - it’s a really good idea to come on here and chat/get reassurance when you are having a wobble. You have had some good advice from marisawray about implants and I would agree with her comments. I had a mastectomy and implant about 3 years ago and I’m happy with mine too. Mine is also firmer than my real one, and more rounded and not much sensation, but I can play sports/go to the gym as I did before. I don’t have any tissue around mine, mine is in some sort of sling thing sitting on top of the pectoral muscle. I really don’t think you will feel like you have an alien in your chest, I hardly notice mine now. I am very happy to answer any questions at all.

Have you asked your surgeon to show you photos of what they will look like? Most have photos they can show you.

My very best wishes to you for your next steps. Evie xx

marisawray

Hi Bookish,

I had a left mastectomy with immediate implant reconstruction in July. Most of the time I don't notice that I have an implant. I get tweaks in my pectoral muscles from where it's stitched into them but on the whole I'm pleased with the result. I have no sensation in the skin over the implant which is a bit weird, but then how often do you notice how your breasts' skin feels? So it's not like having a normal breast but it's not awful either. I have almost no subcutaneous fat so my implant is right against my skin. I have resumed running and swimming with no problems. As long as I wear a super-supportive bra for running!

I'm trying to imagine what it would be like to have both my boobs as implants. I think the main thing is the loss of sensation in the skin and armpit. And the implant is firmer than normal breast tissue. Feel free to PM me and I can send you some pics if you like!

Marisa x

bookish

Do your implants feel... weird?

I'm halfway through a 2-stage bilateral mastectomy, and I've reached the point in recovery from stage 1 to start freaking out about stage 2. I'm feeling okay-ish about the 'new boobs' - until I remember that they, too, are on their way out in a few months. I didn't know which op would be or feel 'bigger', but right now I'm finding the idea of artificial substances in me... just, urm.

I'm not sure there's much scope now to go for other methods (various reasons) - I have a chat with the surgeon in December, but think it's too late anyway - but while I can see some advantages to the implants route I am now wondering.

Without horror stories, please - I'm at too fragile a point to cope, sorry! - could anyone tell me if their implants feel 'okay', or ... I dunno, I think I just need a bit of reassurance that I'm not going to feel like I have an alien in my chest. I suppose people do the implant thing for 'fun' (haha) so they can't feel that weird, although is it very different if it's without any of your own tissue around it? Will I lose the remaining sensation in the skin?

Ah... just another day, another panic o.O