It's Emily here from Breast Cancer Care.
While you're waiting for more replies on here, I just thought I'd let you know that we have some telephone volunteers who had a double mastectomy with implants and mesh to keep it in place (sometimes called 'strattice' or 'acellular dermal matrix').
If you'd like me to put you in touch with someone, feel free to give us a call on 0345 077 1893 and we'd be happy to arrange this. You can ask questions to volunteer to find out a bit about what their experience was like.
Wishing you all the best in the meantime.
Emily at Breast Cancer Care
Hi McGee. I'm BRCA2 though my masectomy was purely for risk reduction. Like Elvie, I've also had my impants placed pre-pectoral supported by mesh. I'm not sure if mesh is needed for implants under muscle, but as it's not "my" surgery I don't know a lot about it.
So far my experience of recovery has been pretty straight forward, but so much can depend on the type of reconstruction available to you and how you already feel about your risk and outcomes.
First of all a big hug to you as you make your decisions. I'm not sure if I can help as not really the same, but I wanted to message in case I can help with any questions.
I had a single mastectomy about a year ago, with an implant at the same time. I had my implant in front of the muscle, think it's called "pre-pectoral" if you google it, and it was supported with a mesh - that's why I thought I would message in case your surgeon meant that he is putting your implant in front. I think the mesh I had was called Braxon. My implant doesn't match my original, but that wouldn't be an issue for you if you are having both at the same time. But overall I'm happy with mine. As I say, not sure if my experience is relevant but please do get in touch if you think I can help at all.
All the very best to you.
Just looking for people’s experiences, good or bad, of implant reconstruction at the time of double mastectomy. I have just had chemo then WLE & SLN biopsy for grade 3 IDC. Unfortunately the brca2 result only came through 2 days after surgery. I now have to decide whether to continue with the planned radiotherapy or go ahead with risk-reducing surgery. I really don’t fancy having the increased risk of recurrence hanging over me but not fully convinced about surgery even though I appreciate it will reduce my risk considerably. My surgeon would place implants beneath the muscle & support with the mesh (can’t remember the name right now...)
Thanks in advance x